Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Captain provides a new twist on assigned seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Captain provides a new twist on assigned seating

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2001, 7:37 am
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by johnep1:
Nowhere in the constitution does it say that a man cannot be moved from his seat and placed in another one solely because of his racial makeup. However, the courts have determined that this is indeed the intent of the writers of the constitution.</font>
Actually, the 14th Amendment does not apply to airlines--it has consistently been ruled to apply only where there is "state action" (that is, it only restricts governments). However, the Civil Rights Act of 196* (4 or 5, never can remember which) does apply non-discrimination rules to "places of public accomodation," which an airline is. Therefore, while a legal right may have been violated, that right is statutory, not constitutional.
Old Dec 3, 2001, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

I am continuing this thread at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum20/HTML/003811.html

Continental has replied again, this time denying the facts of the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.