Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too much whining on our board?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2000, 11:19 am

So long as people are directing their comments to their experiences and opinions of the program, have at it.

And I would be saying the same thing if NJDavid was a new user.

That being said, in my opinion, his tenure on FT definitely lends credibility to his arguments - he's not some new guy pushing an agenda - he's a guy who's been weighing in (pro AND con) on dozens of issues over the years.

Sure, the EUA is a hot-button for him, but he certainly has every right to speak his mind.

And if I were CO, I'd take notice of the change of tone on this board. 6 months ago, this message board was all sweetness and light, as we were all members of the "CO-is-great-except-for-international-upgrades cult".

Things have changed. I do not believe it is the fault of the CRITICS. Rather it is the fault of the program for providing them ammunition.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Dec 11, 2000, 12:00 pm
mws

1) No, I do not object, as long as the complaints are relevant to the thread. I don't want to hear the same complaints over and over, but I have a relatively high threshold regarding those complaints as I, too, believe that is PART of the purpose of this board.

2) No, his campaign is not out of line, again, as long as it does not end up popping up in every single thread. Perhaps a thread dedicated to that campaign would be appropriate, but I don't want to see it every time someone discusses anything relative to OnePass or EUA. If it does start happening that way, then you would see me change my vote from No to Yes.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to respectfully request that discussion on this thread be limited to the questions I posed,"
Thanks...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per your request:

1. No

2. No

------------------
"An upgrade, an upgrade! My kingdom for an upgrade!"

[This message has been edited by SemiElite (edited 12-11-2000).]
Old Dec 11, 2000, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
I would like to respectfully request that discussion on this thread be limited to the questions I posed, and that we stay away from the pros and cons of EUA. There are plenty of places here to discuss EUA, and going off topic tends to fragment the discussion of "what we want to discuss."

Thanks...
Old Dec 11, 2000, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA gold UA MM
I would like to respectfully request that discussion on this thread be limited to the questions I posed,"

Thanks...
1) No
2) No

Old Dec 11, 2000, 1:26 pm

1) No
2) No
Old Dec 11, 2000, 1:39 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
1) No - as long as it is occasional and well stated.
2) Somewhere in between (BTW I like the concept of EUA - sorry David).
Old Dec 11, 2000, 1:50 pm
BIM

1) No
2) No

I'd much rather read "complaint" posts, simply because I can learn from them (what situations to avoid, etc). Better than trying to follow the various flame wars!

------------------
Take a deep breath, and remember what's really important...
Old Dec 11, 2000, 2:30 pm

1) No. I think it is important to think before you post though (will sharing this story benefit/educate/entertain others in some way at all?)

2) No. Not out of line. I think CO is getting a big head on its shoulders and needs to be "taken down a notch"

Old Dec 11, 2000, 2:57 pm

Programs: No status anymore. Former CO PLT, NW PLT, AS MVP
I'm in agreement with Jon Toner, including:

1) no
2) no, but at some point it looked like he crossed that line. The intent is fine, the reasons are fine, the methods have grown monotonous.

[This message has been edited by mweiss (edited 12-11-2000).]
Old Dec 11, 2000, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Hi to all.

I just returned from a business trip / fabulous weekend in Monterey with my wife. Since I have been singled-out as a topic (I'm honored) I'm going to comment a slight bit beyond DGOLDS two questions.

Specifically, if you review the threads in the CO forum over the last week or so, I have done very little posting. To be labeled a "constant whiner" when my posts have neither been constant nor whining is amusing.

My name has been associated and mentioned in the posts of others quite a lot. To all those who supported my right to speak out, thank you. To all those who were critical of my speaking out, I respect your right to speak out and share your opinion. Please however, refrain from the personal attacks.
WWW.denycontinentalthefreddie.com will be a campaign to make CO accountable to their passengers. Though it may not have been noticed here on Flyertalk, I have not made any new posts about it, as when it's ready, it will speak for itself. (Currently, it is only linked to a Flyertalk page that discusses both sides of the EUA issue in detail.) More to come...

IMHO CO is a good airline going bad. Not speaking up now would be more of crisis than speaking up too much. That goes for all the companies discussed on flyertalk. This is one of the only independent sources of information for the frequent traveler. Complaints shared here are debated, agreed with and/or disagreed with in public, and visitors can make their own decisions. It would have been wrong for those who feel differently about CO or their policies than I do not to debate them in public. It is sad merely because of the sophmoric tone of a very small few.

And before someone asks me again, my flight today (Monday) from SJC to EWR was upgraded via the EUA on Saturday. I did receive e-mail notice (the first email from CO I have ever received) still making me wonder why CO then must have chosen not to send the announcements of the program to all it's elite members.

It was not a fair gague of EUA, as the flight was 1/4 full, with the entire back of the plane empty and 4 seats left in first. I asked for my wife to receive a companion upgrade, which was refused, as she was traveling on an award ticket. I let my wife have the 1st class breakfast, than she and I sat together with the terriffic FA's in the last few rows of the plane. We complained how silly it was that we couldn't take the open seats in first and they agreed, they complained how silly it was that because they were landing after 3pm, the crew was being put up in south Jersey instead of being allowed (as typical) to stay in Manhattan.

Even the crews know that things are headed downward.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 12-11-2000).]
Old Dec 11, 2000, 10:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
1) No.

2) No.

Old Dec 11, 2000, 11:09 pm

Another 1-No, 2-No from Tempe.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I wouldn't say there's too much whining. Negative or neutral comments are among the most valuable on this or any other board. Why? Because there are so few forums for them, and some are legitimate.

Balance that against all the advertising and PR and money behind that to give out positive messages and spin regardless of reality. The Internet helps level the playing field and has forced airlines and other companies to be more responsive, whereas before they would have just dragged their feet.

It's empowering, and that's important in this age when companies consider deploying "profiling" systems to decide whether or not to pay attention to a customer's complaint based on how much revenue he's expected to bring in. Think these companies are truly committed to service? Hah! Sadly, some will do it only if they're forced.

Of course they'll also trot out phrases like "disgruntled employee" or "this person has a vendetta" or "Funny, you're the only person who's complained so far." These are timeless tactics for pooh-poohing complaints or trying to make the complainer look like the problem. Some are as old as Macchiavelli.

With a board like this, though, people often find they're NOT alone.

Which is not to say that you won't have people who fly too far off the handle or rant without factual cases. I don't think those are too difficult to spot, though (not that the positive stuff, like advertising, doesn't get carried away and take liberties, too). That's a small price to pay for being better informed and therefore better empowered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.