Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too much whining on our board?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2000, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Too much whining on our board?

There have been some complaints of late as to whether the level of complaining here has gotten to be unpleasantly high or not. I had a bad stay with a Starwood property a couple of weeks ago, and wondered aloud in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/001077.html whether posting a complaint publically was a worthwhile contribution. The comments I have gotten back in response so far are universally in favor of my posting descriptively about the problems with my stay.

So I thought it would be interesting to take a straw poll here, where there have been some objections raised against posting negative comments about CO.

(1) Do you object to members posting occasional complaints about CO service?

(2) Specifically, is NJDavid's "Deny the Freddie" campaign out of line for a public forum of this nature, a good contribution, or somewhere in between?

[This message has been edited by dgolds (edited 12-11-2000).]
Old Dec 11, 2000, 7:56 am
Original Poster

My answers to the above:

(1) Not at all, as long as they are not couched in abusive language.

(2) Although I personally disagree with NJDavid's point of view in his campaign (although I am starting to come around a little), I am very glad that he is doing it and don't find his posts offensive in the least.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:04 am
Commander Catcop

1. No, and I concur EXACTLY with your comments Dgolds.

2. No and I don't see NJDavid's campaign as whining. Maybe something good will come out of it.

If one person can speak up, then maybe that will inspires others and MAYBE there could be some positive change.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:07 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
1) NO. The key word is occasional!

2) NO. I disagree with David's view on EUA, but I wholeheartedly agree with him on the issue of comping to Platinum.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My viewpoint is quite simple for ALL FORUMS. If one has an experience, viewpoint or other travel related thingee, and is it BAD.... complain and if it is GOOD.... praise. Let the nice light shine brightly and possibly help another fellow FT-er. WE ALL have something to gain or at least think about.

As for NJDavid, he believes he has a valid point so let'm express it. He has pointed out many positive items so let him point out some negative ones too. I value his opinions and agree with most of them.

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 12-11-2000).]
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:15 am

I,being one of the more outspoken..ok...the MOST outspoken individual against whining on the CO board,will lead this off with my reasoning.
I realize that persons such as NJDavid have their right to feel however they like about certain issues (EUA included). However, it is my opinion that there is a threshold that one can cross where it will start to affect others. NJDavid has crossed my threshold. We all know(unless you are hiding somewhere) how he feels about the EUA...we even know that he's formed a campaign (including web site) against such. What we don't need to hear is his constant reminding everytime someone else posts an opinion on the CO board. He's tried to rally supporters of his cause by slamming and "bad-mouthing" CO and Gordon himself,which I don't think has a place on this board.
I've been informed from a good source at CO that NJDavid's position is very much in the minority and that most individuals actually PREFER the new EUA and it's convenience. Don't get me wrong here..I haven't really made up my mind for/against the EUA...I'm PLAT...but I don't necessarily like the "control" we once had,taken away from me.
Please everyone...let's have a consructive thread here.

[This message has been edited by IM4Travel (edited 12-11-2000).]

Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:23 am

How would you all feel if NJDavid was a "relatively new" person on the board?....it seems as though the first few responses are from "veterans" of the board that happen to know NJDavid very well..so I believe that the opinions are biased somewhat. Let's see what some of the newer people say.

Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:25 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
IMHO, NJDavid has not been "whining" about the changes to the OnePass program but expressing his opinion on the changes they have made. Albiet they are long-winded sometimes, but that's his right. Isn't that what this whole board was created for, the exchange of ideas, opinions and maybe to get the marketing and exec's of our FF programs to actually listen to us once in a while....
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:31 am
Original Poster

IM4Travel: All the newcomers have been scared off.

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek...)

Folks, in addition to your comments, could you please answer questions (1) and (2)? This is a poll, after all. I didn't think the ballot was that confusing.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:38 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1 No
2 No
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:49 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
1. NO
2. NO !

------------------
Viele Gre

Oliver
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:52 am
Original Member

(1) No. BUT when posts are irrelevant to the main topic of a thread, YES.

(2) No. Although I'd love to deny CO, but not for EUA. Int, 31pitch, etc.

JL2
Old Dec 11, 2000, 9:11 am

1) No
2) No, even though I too disagree with NJDavid on EUA. Perhaps I would feel differently if upgrades were difficult to get out of MCI and felt like I need to work the system.

Basically my view on this comes down to the fact that I feel it is *my* responsibility to filter out both the nonsense and the repeated positions. It is also *my* responsibility to not be baited into joining the more heated discussions. Others should feel free to post as they choose.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 9:18 am

Occasional complaints are entirely appropriate.

NJDAVID's campaign was not inappropriate at its inception, and NJDAVID (like anyone else) has the right to make his opinions known. But it is no secret that in my view NJDAVID's campaign at some point crossed the invisible line between valid complaint and incessant whining.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 9:31 am

Originally posted by dgolds:
[B](1) Do you object to members posting occasional complaints about CO service?
I sure hope this never becomes something that is taken out of the forum.

(2) Specifically, is NJDavid's "Deny the Freddie" campaign out of line for a public forum of this nature, a good contribution, or somewhere in between?
While I do believe it is legitimate, I haven't always cared for the tone and there does come a point when one's opinions need not be brought up over and over again, something that I will admit is not unique to the CO forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.