Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Politically Incorrect: The "fat" pax policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Politically Incorrect: The "fat" pax policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO OnePass Plat, AF Rouge
Originally Posted by puddy
I don't understand. If I have the math right, the CDG-IAH segment would get you 5026 base miles, 2513 fare class bonus miles, and 6282 plat bonus miles for a total of 13,821, with 7539 of those miles as EQM. Where are you getting 20,000 miles? I wouldn't expect miles for that segment since they did refund your fare. It seems fair to me.
5026 base miles
2513 fare-class bonus in J
7539 Plat bonus (150%)

That's 15,078 then I must add the "two miles per dollar spent" on CO tickets via CO-Chase card (3600 miles), bringing us to 18,678 miles. The return portion was bouth separately from my outbound ticket, and returned/refunded tickets come off the CO/Chase total. Plus, my sec'y booked it online, adding another 1000, giving us a grand total of ROUGHLY

19,678 OnePass miles

Admittedly,I did not explain the Chase card 2-for-1 purchase above, but I think your Plat bonus calculation was off as well. How did you come up with 6282? I just looked at some past statements, and the bonus on that leg is 7539 on my account so long as I am Plat (it's 5026 if I'm Gold).

Anyway, I"m not going to make an issue out of it, and I don't need the EQMs to keep status. HOWEVER, I do think that the CDG Concierge should have told me that I would no longer be earning ANY miles at all for the flight -- because that could have changed my thinking, at least in theory. BUt as another OP said: I was compensated fairly, so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

One more step I took: I know the Station Chief at CDG because of my frequent trips there. I wrote her a letter (in French, of course) explaining that the Concierge's promise of 3 empty coach seats was NOT kept, despite his word, and that he failed to tell me that I would have ALL OnePass credit deleted for that leg. GIven a choice, I would rather have kept the OnePass miles accruing for the leg by being a revenue pax in Coach (if CO had simply refunded the DIFFERENCE between the J and the Y fares, thus making me a paying pax in Y). However, he did not even give me this option -- and in the heat of the moment, with a packed 777 wanting to leave for home, I didn't quibble.

But most people would admit that the Concierge should at least INFORM me that I would no longer be earning miles -- or give me a choice on which I preferred. But as it stands, I did make my choice, and I will stand by it without squabbling over that detail. I raised the issue here because I am curious what other FT'ers thought about it. It just felt sneaky, in a way. Again, I'm not saying that I'm "justified" in feeling a bit snookered, but I will admit that I did initially feel that way when I saw the online account posting.

SO, let me say for the record: Yes, I believe CO is reasonably justified in giving me no credit for the flight. NOT because of the J tickets in comp, but because I did not pay for the crossing on CO 11 itself.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:41 pm

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LawFlyer
CO refunded it to my corporate AmEx card?
If they refunded your fare to your corporate Amex in post #61 why now are you telling us you charged the ticket on a Chase card?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser
LawFlyer: Good luck and think thin!
Tosser: I can't TELL you how hard I laughed at this. I really needed that to counter all the horrible Private Messages I've been receiving today! I had no idea people would be jumping down MY throat about this. I just seriously wanted to know what the FT community thought about the issue, particularly in light of such a blatant and public incident involving a COS. I tried to do the best I could under the circumstances. Be nice, guys!

And speaking of being nice: I feel I must add one thing. Remember in my original post, I mentioned that the Fat Lady was flying to Houston at the last minute to see a gravely sick friend there. I'm sure that lack of resources or lack of time COULD have contributed to the Fat Lady's inability to purchase two seats at the last minute for a transatlantic crossing, but I can only imagine that she desperately needed and wanted to see that friend -- and I think she was almost at death's door, if I understood correctly. I suppose that if I had known my comfort would be sacrificed so that this woman could see her friend in this situation, I probably would have agreed anyway.

Thus, I hope the friend is either (1) recovering! or (2) enjoying the time with her visitor. Bon courage, tous les deux!

...and one more thing to the poster above who complained that this country is getting larger by the minute and America is a couch-potato society:

This woman was French.

Last edited by LawFlyer; Nov 10, 2004 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CraigS
If they refunded your fare to your corporate Amex in post #61 why now are you telling us you charged the ticket on a Chase card?
You're right - it was a Chase card, not an AmEx card, held in my firm's name. Both cards get me OnePass miles, though I think there's an extra step with the AmEx card, whereas the Chase card is direct. Thank heaven's I have a sec'y to keep up with it all.

Last edited by LawFlyer; Nov 10, 2004 at 8:01 pm
Old Nov 10, 2004, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MBM3
Spare me the drama my friend. There is a range of medical reasons for overweight folks, myself included, as well as the simple eat to much/sweat too little segment of the population. Perhaps you should stop and think before tossing out generalizations and labels.
And that "range of medical reasons" account for about 5% of severely overweight people.

Also, read my post more carefully: What I said that the poster should have INCLUDED blaming the actual fat person in his list of possible sources of blame and not just (1) genetics and (2) our society. What I was arguing was that there should be a (3) the person's own fault.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 9:51 pm

[QUOTE=LawFlyer] Remember in my original post, I mentioned that the Fat Lady was flying to Houston at the last minute to see a gravely sick friend there. [QUOTE]

I (almost) feel sorry for this woman when she dares to show herself at IAH for a return flight back to Paris! Between this thread and the fall-out with the CO staff over this incident, everybody's going to be on the lookout for her!

So, will CO have learned from this and do something, or will this same scenario repeat itself when she shows up for her return flight?

Please post if anybody finds out!

Last edited by Euroflyer; Nov 10, 2004 at 9:54 pm
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I don't want to sound like I can never be pleased...but do you think I should call the Concierge back (the guy who called to make amends) and ask him to fix that, too? Or, am I getting what I bargained for, in your opinion? Frankly, the Concierge in Paris NEVER said that I would be losing all OnePass accrual for switching seats; and on top of everything else, this seems a bit, well...ungracious of them.
When it rains, it pours!

Yes, I do think you should call back. Your position is most reasonable.

This thread is most informative for several reasons, not the least of which is the reiteration of this principle:
An oral contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on!
If I am ever offered a downgrade, or even reaccommodation on another flight or carrier, before accepting I am going to get in writing that I will be entitled to mileage for the original routing (unless the new routing on the same carrier is greater).

I recognize the abbreviation for Person of Size, but what is a CoS?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I recognize the abbreviation for Person of Size, but what is a CoS?
Customer Of Size

Regarding the concierge not mentioning that the new, free ticket, status would not earn miles -- I find that most airline personnel I've run into have little understanding of how FF programs work. On the other hand, FT folks know FAR MORE than most all other program members.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
How did you come up with 6282? I just looked at some past statements, and the bonus on that leg is 7539 on my account so long as I am Plat (it's 5026 if I'm Gold).
I thought Plat's receive a 125% bonus, not 150. I'm just a lowly Silver, soon to be Gold, so I'm just going by what the program rules state.

I think it's a bit much to say you are feeling ripped off again over not getting a few miles. I do sympathize with what you had to go through, but I think you were well compensated... a free trip back (not very meaningful since it was not your $, but still, a free trip) plus two free International J tickets (plus, you ultimately got a new seat). If you needed the EQM's to make Plat again, I would understand making a case for them, but since you said that's not an issue, I would let it go. Considering Continental's international upgrade policy, I would be very happy with what you received.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puddy
I think it's a bit much to say you are feeling ripped off again over not getting a few miles. I do sympathize with what you had to go through, but I think you were well compensated... a free trip back...plus two free International J tickets (plus, you ultimately got a new seat).... I would be very happy with what you received.
Puddy is right.

I realize that I was not "actually" ripped off by lack of mileage accrual on CO 11 because the passage was, in the end, free of charge. My client on this case (who reimburses my lawfirm for the air travel) will get a lighter invoice this month! So, Puddy is correct: I wasn't ripped off. I should have been more careful to note that I only "felt" ripped off when I saw no mileage post to my account. Perhaps I should say "surprised," not ripped off.

As noted above, the FT community knows the FF and OnePass rules better than the average Concierge (why should HE care? He flies almost free anyway, right?), so you could make the argument that I "should have known" that I would not be accruing miles. That's probably correct, but there was so much going on that the mileage issue never even came to mind.

Puddy's summation is right on target: I ultimately got a decent seat (mean stares from FAs notwithstanding), two J tickets (already booked), and free passage for that flight. I have actually written a formal Thank You letter to the BF Concierge at IAH who took care of this mess, copied it to his management, AND copied it to the Station Chief at CDG.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Exclamation Thank you Ted

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser
vincom: we're not talking about someone who is 5, 10, or even 60 pounds overweight. And frankly I have no problem with someone who weighs 500 pounds and sits on a couch eating bon bons all day. I don't tell others how to live their lives. What is galling is the attitude of the FAs that the OP was in the wrong for objecting to their treatment of him. We are all responsible for our own lives. There are ramifications to weighing this much and they should not be borne by someone who is not responsible (even if the passenger was one of those rare cases who absolutely cannot lose any weight). CO should be free to charge her for two seats, or let her use two for the price of one. But they shouldn't inflict this abuse on another customer then scold him when he objects. It's political correctness run amock.

Thank you, that's the issue. Dealing with the problem.

Also, I find it interesting in these times of "tolerance" that you can't bash or discriminate on race, sexual orientation, sexual confusion, race, nationality, gender, religion, etc.; but it's still perfectly all right to bash and discriminate overweight people.

The bottom line is that if a person takes up more than 1 seat (and I don't mean one inch; I mean substantial) there should be some accomodation to keep that seat open. However, the talk about "I hate fat people" is truly disgusting, as disgusting as your opinions of fat people.

Let's take some people's posts and insert a race/sexual orientation euphamisms...

Gay people are gay because they choose to sin against God and nature. Enough of this "I was born with my gayness" crap. If there are any gay people that are reading this you should stop kissing men and go to church. It's time we all stopped being so PC to "people of sexual choice" and start making them pay for their lustful ways and their lack of discipline and self control. They infringe on my personal attitudes, they spread disease from not being able to perform properly safe sex and they put all of us at risk by living. My mother was a lesbian and now she's dead because she got AIDS. She could have cared less about her health and her choices and just wanted to F*** women all the time. She flew all the time and I know for a fact that didn't give a rat's ... about the good church going people sitting next to her in 17A.

I cannot believe the number of people I see everyday that flaunt there sexuality in public. And many of them are young kids. Kids who have been brought up on "Heather has two mommies" and "it's okay to kiss your girlfirends" and "Queer as Folk marathons on Showtime". I think country should institute a gay tax for any person that cannot fit under the ideals of what I feel is right. Perhaps $100 per inch for every inch of "you know what" they take "you know where". Maybe that'll discourage them from "tossing salad" during their next sexual encounter.

Black people are *n-word*s because they eat watermelon and don't have the genetics except to play basketball. Enough of this "I have rights" crap. If there are any *n-word*s that are reading this you should put the gun down and go back to Africa. It's time we all stopped being so PC to "people of color" and start making them pay for their Afros and Jungle Music and the sickle-cell. They infringe on my rights as a white man, they smell from not being able to afford hot water in their shacks or tenements and they put all of us at risk by flying because they are no better than terrorists; I get scared when they come on the plane. My nanny was black and now she's dead because she had this idea of sitting in front of the bus and she was lynched. She could have cared less about the good white people and her blackness and just wanted to eat fried chicken all the time. She flew all the time and I know for a fact that didn't give a rat's ... about the white guy sitting next to her in 17A.

I cannot believe the number of people I see everyday who listen to hip-hop and talk Ebonics. And many of them are these young kids. Kids who have been brought up on Tupac, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King and "Good Times marathons on the UPN". I think CO should institute a *n-word* tax for any passenger whose skin color is darker than skin tone of a white baby's newborn backside. Perhaps $100 per deepness of black on their skin. Maybe that'll discourage them from voting in the next election.

-------------------------

Now I am putting words in this person's mouth and this is meant as a satire to illustrate that the line between hate of fat people and hate of other people is very thin. You can justify it all you want and you may have reasons, but doesn't mean it is right.

Let's deal with the issues. The FA was wrong. The airline should not force a passenger to sit next to someone who substantially would take up space. Large people should be considerate of other passengers. However, some of the vitriol out of the mouths of some people on this board is dismaying. Everytime you think these thoughts about fat people; insert race, sexual orientation, etc and see if YOU like what you hear. Maybe you are a bigot and you hate everyone except yourself and "people like you". Remember, Hitler had the same idea. Just because you may be skinnier or more fit than other people, does not make YOU SUPERIOR to other people when it comes to rights. You may win the marathon, but you may be a dummy who thinks he can out run a speeding cab and gets clipped on Central Park West. Who saves your life? The possibly overweight paramedic, ambulance driver, orderly, nurse, doctor and physical therapist who will save your fat people hating life.

Bottom line, it's not cool people. Deal with the issue without all the hate and stereotypes.

- HobokenFlyer

Last edited by HobokenFlyer; Nov 11, 2004 at 9:53 am Reason: Adjust some typos and such.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
Deal with the issue without all the hate and stereotypes.
I'm fine with whoever sits next to me as long as I don't have to share *my* seat with that person (my wife/kids excepted, of course ) I've had to do that and it wasn't fun.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:12 am

Co Policy

Lawflyer,
Most of us have seen or witnessed this type of situation. Did the IAH Concierge in ever tell you that CO has a policy? If so did they tell you what it was?
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'm fine with whoever sits next to me as long as I don't have to share *my* seat with that person (my wife/kids excepted, of course ) I've had to do that and it wasn't fun.
I agree. However, I think we all reasonably agree that economy seats on the majority of airlines are narrow for even some suppossed "skinny" or "athletic" people who may have a inch of shoulder (for men) and an inch of hip (for women) that cross the imaginary demarkation. I think that "seat sharing" is inevitable with most people in America. For that I blame the airlines, not people. Let's go back to "hating" intangibles like "airlines" and not persons.

- HF

Last edited by HobokenFlyer; Nov 11, 2004 at 10:14 am Reason: Forgot to add smiley :)
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Klink
Lawflyer,
Most of us have seen or witnessed this type of situation. Did the IAH Concierge in ever tell you that CO has a policy? If so did they tell you what it was?
OT, but love the handle. Are you a Colonel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.