Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

AMEX Points Transfer Question - What's Everyone Doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Points Transfer Question - What's Everyone Doing?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There's no way around this stupid transfer tax, is there? Annoying applies to the US FF programs only.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 1:34 pm

Amex Points Advance and transferred all to CO

I used my Platinum Points advance of 60,000 as I will have that spend in time for the 12 months pay-off --else you pay 2.5% for each point not credited against a dollar spend through Sep. 2012.

Then I transferred all my points to Onepass which I use for international travel. Best value for points vs. flying domestic. With the points advance it's like continuing to earn CO mileage on Amex throughout next year.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:24 pm

Just got an email a couple of days ago from CO re: Amex.

"The OnePass program will formally end on Dec. 31, 2011, followed by a wind-down period during the first quarter of 2012. Following the wind-down period, we will replace your OnePass reward miles — including your Membership Rewards® transfers — with an equivalent grant of MileagePlus® award miles."

If this is the case, why would there be a rush to convert to points, unless you know that you'll need them between now and first quarter. Sounds like a new program will start up to convert Amex points to MileagePlus miles.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by DGNY
If this is the case, why would there be a rush to convert to points, unless you know that you'll need them between now and first quarter. Sounds like a new program will start up to convert Amex points to MileagePlus miles.
I don't read it that way at all. I think that they are just saying that if you transfer your MR points to Continental (which has to be done by September 30) then those points (like all other CO miles) will move over to the combined program.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:27 pm

related question

How many of you are strongly considering cancelling your Plat card, or downgrading to Gold? (sorry if there is another thread that covers this.)

Obviously, this is the crowd that values AMEX for their relationship with CO (and now UA).

Just curious if a lot of people are going to bolt when we lose MR transfer to CO and UA lounge access.

How many here would switch to the Presidential Plus card, with similar benefits plus UA points earning and UA lounge access?

Regarding the original topic: I only have about 30K MR points right now (and way too many UA/CO miles), so I will just leave them where they are.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Me? Everything with a little advance.

"The OnePass program will formally end on Dec. 31, 2011, followed by a wind-down period during the first quarter of 2012. Following the wind-down period, we will replace your OnePass reward miles — including your Membership Rewards® transfers — with an equivalent grant of MileagePlus® award miles."

This rush is after the end of this moment, you can't transfer anything from AMEX to CO.

So for AMEX MR to M+, you will need to transfer to CO first (until the end of this moment), then transfer in between United Continental Holdings.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
How many of you are strongly considering cancelling your Plat card, or downgrading to Gold? (sorry if there is another thread that covers this.)

Obviously, this is the crowd that values AMEX for their relationship with CO (and now UA).

Just curious if a lot of people are going to bolt when we lose MR transfer to CO and UA lounge access.

How many here would switch to the Presidential Plus card, with similar benefits plus UA points earning and UA lounge access?

Regarding the original topic: I only have about 30K MR points right now (and way too many UA/CO miles), so I will just leave them where they are.
Don't downgrade - get a new one. At least you can earn some bonus MR back
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Don't downgrade - get a new one. At least you can earn some bonus MR back
Churn, baby, churn!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Churn, baby, churn!
AFAIK - the 75K bonus is still available. It is a matter on how you get it

You downgrade? You get nothing except annual fee partial refund (You will get it when you cancel anyway).

Beside MR has some stupid provision that if you cancel the only MR account, they may forfeit all of your MR point.

It is best to play safe and smart...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:57 am

just tried to do the transfer on CO's website. Does anyone get this error message when they are redirected to AMEX?

We're sorry but Flight Finder Room Finder is not available in the Membership Rewards Express program. Try using Pay with Points instead for all your travel needs. With this feature, you can use points for flights on any airline with no restrictions or blackout dates!
Learn More
Why did this error occur? Some features, such as Flight Finder Room Finder, are not available in all levels of the program. Next time you visit the website, log in to make sure you are viewing features and items available in your program.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by freakflyer
I don't read it that way at all. I think that they are just saying that if you transfer your MR points to Continental (which has to be done by September 30) then those points (like all other CO miles) will move over to the combined program.
Earlier in the email it says "THE COUNTDOWN IS ON. DON'T MISS OUT.
TURN MEMBERSHIP REWARDS® POINTS INTO MILES NOW."

That to me indicates that you should transfer now or else you'll miss out on the opportunity.

Later in the email it says "Following the wind-down period, we will replace your OnePass reward miles — including your Membership Rewards® transfers — with an equivalent grant of MileagePlus® award miles."

To me that says that come April or so, Amex will have a new transfer set up with United. Given that you can link your OP and MP accounts, these are equivalent to me. So, unless you need to use miles in the next few months there is no rush.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Later in the email it says "Following the wind-down period, we will replace your OnePass reward miles — including your Membership Rewards® transfers — with an equivalent grant of MileagePlus® award miles."
MileagePlus will be the new program name. What this statement means is your OnePass miles will convert into MileagePlus miles when the two programs are combined.

To me that says that come April or so, Amex will have a new transfer set up with United. Given that you can link your OP and MP accounts, these are equivalent to me. So, unless you need to use miles in the next few months there is no rush.
I disagree. Unless the two parties subsequently come back to the table, I think 09/30 is your last chance.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I went ahead and moved about 90 per cent of my AMEX points to my Onepass account. Going forward, the only travel option that appeals to me that AMEX gives me that Onepass doesn't is the ability to use points to Tahiti.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JustTravel
... not available in the Membership Rewards Express program....
It sounds as if you have a card which is enrolled in Membership Rewards Express, such as a Zync or Blue card. Express points cannot be transferred to any other program. See discussion here to understand how to transform your Express points to full Membership Rewards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...mr-points.html
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: Several dozen
Risky business those full tilt points advances. Did one to for Continental miles myself then later got my points earning capabilities honked with a visit from The Spanish Inquisition (AMEX FR). That put a dent in my points earning transactions for weeks. If your expected transactions are not time sensitive you have less risk, but if your anticipated spend is time sensitive a visit from Cardinal Fang can be a bloody nuisance.

Originally Posted by asiapacflyer
I used my Platinum Points advance of 60,000 as I will have that spend in time for the 12 months pay-off --else you pay 2.5% for each point not credited against a dollar spend through Sep. 2012.

Then I transferred all my points to Onepass which I use for international travel. Best value for points vs. flying domestic. With the points advance it's like continuing to earn CO mileage on Amex throughout next year.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:15 pm

Hours before deadline I transferred 238,000 points to CO Onepass after calling CO FF customer service and asking specifically about points needed to redeem to go to Tahiti. She told me 70k. I DID redeem Onepass miles in December of 2007/ Jan 2008 and went roundtrip from Newark to PAP- I flew CO to LAX and then partner AirFrance to PAP. The whole thing cost me about $52 in tax/fees if I remember correctly. I intended to do that again and to also redeem for a round the world ticket as well. Are you telling me things have changed in the last 3-4 years and this is no longer possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.