Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

AMEX Points Transfer Question - What's Everyone Doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum

As the deadline approaches, I am pondering what percentage of points to transfer from AMEX to Onepass. I live in LA, and am a United 1K and Continental Platinum with business travel predominantly on CO and leisure travel predominantly on United.

I have > 500,000 points in AMEX and > 500,000 points currently in Onepass. Most of my use of points is for international travel, about once a year in businessfirst or first and for domestic transcontinental travel if available in saverpass.

I have never used my AMEX points for anything else other than transferring to my Continental account. Although I have tried on other partners, I have not found rewards available on the other partners for itineraries I've wanted in the past.

So I am asking other FT's with heavy AMEX balances what percentage of points they are moving over from AMEX to Onepass at the end of this month and why?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
MR points

I am in a similar situation as you are. I decided to move some points to Delta while there is still some competition (with the 67% bonus after the 20k rebates), move some to COntinental, buy some CHeesecake factory gift cards at half off ($50 cards for 2,500 points) and keep the rest for later. I am intrigued by the Virgin America option, especially given the number of flights out of San Francisco.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'll likely transfer all f my remaining AMEX points to CO near the end of the month. From then on I'll be looking at redeeming AMEX points I earn via ANA or other airline partners. AMEX merchandise redemptions offer a poor redemption value
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It's a tough call. I've transferred about 75K to UA, but refrained from sending more over. For other bookings, I've still got AC/NH, who I've transferred points to in the past.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
I'm leaving them with Amex.

I like using the points to buy CO tickets through the Amex site, allowing me to earn EQMs and more miles. I don't take reward trips as making 1K butt-in-seat is all the travel I want to do, and miles aren't clearing as fast as I earn them for transcon upgrades. So Amex gives me good value for my points, with the combined bonuses as an Amex plat/ CO,UA 1K.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:13 am
In Memorium

Programs: UA 1K-3.5MM; AA Exec. Plat.; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Platinum
I'm torn to dump them into CO or leave them and then use them for hotel programs--for Int'l travel in expensive hotels I think that is a good option.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by Syzygies
I'm leaving them with Amex.

I like using the points to buy CO tickets through the Amex site, allowing me to earn EQMs and more miles. I don't take reward trips as making 1K butt-in-seat is all the travel I want to do, and miles aren't clearing as fast as I earn them for transcon upgrades. So Amex gives me good value for my points, with the combined bonuses as an Amex plat/ CO,UA 1K.
I agree - often the pay with miles option through AMEX is a better deal than using the miles thru CO. Plus you get EQM's.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Delta GM, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
I was sort of on the fence, but transferred all of my MR points to CO today. I use my miles for international business class awards, so Amex pay with points doesn't represent a good value for me.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by elitefreak
I agree - often the pay with miles option through AMEX is a better deal than using the miles thru CO. Plus you get EQM's.
I just looked and the AMEX pay with points offered an exchange rate of about 1.5c/point, which is certainly a better deal than I expected. Still, business class international awards on UA/CO seem t me like the sweet spot in redemption value.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Im transfering 50,000 Amex points to Continental then over to United..This is the last chance..@:-)
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:07 pm

We were pondering this last night as well. Between the 20% "points off sale" for MR and 20% kickback for AX Plat, we decided to use some Membership Rewards points to book ticket-on-points for next month on a rather expensive EWR-LAS RT. Used ~37,000 points (less a 20% points kickback from AX Plat) for a $500+ ticket, and used CO miles to upgrade total of 59.6K points/miles on a CO ticket going for 100K miles, not a bad exchange. Then we sent 150K to Mr Fish's CO account to top it off and left about 50K in AX for future use.

Robin
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
As long as you have a lot of points, don't bother. Transfer to other programs with good redemption options.

It's only if you need to combine points to get your typical tickets where you should transfer.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I'm going to dump them all into my OnePass account, my AMEX spend should refill my MR account quick enough.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Will AXP points transferred to CO miles
Continue to have no expiration date once merged with mileage plus?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: Premier 1K, 1 mm
I transferred over 200,000 points to CO and will close Amex plat. Now have Chase UA Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.