Community
Wiki Posts
Search

...And it begins...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
You know it's funny, you asked him about all that stuff, and if it's anything but what you want you do the "so what?" routine. And you say CO loving people do that. I'll listen to you say that when you stop doing it yourself.
The point I was illustrating was that for all the bashing of UA equipment, the issues / on time rates / plane issues were remarkably similar in the OP's experiences w/UA and CO. I respect differences of opinion - but equating UA food with filth basically shows a lack of rational discourse IMO.

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I have had major IRROPS on CO, and I'll tell you what, I've yet to be completely stranded, given no option for two days, or had to stand in a customer service line that stretches 300+ yards down the ORD terminal.

WN is aviation's cowboy. As others delay or even cancel, WN still trudges on. Where UA and AA will be forced to closed down ORD, you can usually still count on WN to get you to MDW. WN may not be the right carrier for you, but in a pinch they've helped me out tremendously when UA is beyond overwhelmed and enters shutdown mode...as UA stranded me on a recent business trip.
OK, so ORD shuts down and that's UA's fault? Your example does not sound like a single flight issue, but a massive airport / airline issue. That seems to be out of the realm of typical experiences - not denying it, but saying it was a black swan event.

Did you think of calling the 1K line? Or if you have club acces, try a RCC? Both generally more recommended than standing in an overly long line.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:41 pm

^

The UA birds define Richard Thornburg's "Junkyards in the Sky." The headrest is more of a shoulder rest. It's the F seat with erectile dysfunction. I always try for the bulkhead as any even slight recline on the UA birds ruins everything. Then the fact that their aisle donkeys are so viciously aggressive at policing to ensure headrests are down is absurd...here's a thought...get the hands out of pockets during boarding and help with some overhead bin storage before you're gate checking the bags of the last third of the plane to board. Take the same UA FA enthusiasm towards headrests being down for baggage and maybe we'd depart on time.

Awful products and services with UA aircraft, horrendous UA customer service from front line employees that all appear to hate their jobs...yeah, a true merger of equals.
unfortunately, people like you see what they want to see - whatever supports your predetermined bias. all you are doing is using standard anti-ua talking points that have been paraded for years - yes, with some basis of truth, no doubt, but not anywhere to the extreme level you try and purport.

The idea that either CO or UA is marketably better than the other, that one "sucks" and the other one is a "golden angel", is deluded partisan rhetoric, sort of like the ill informed, wholly illogical disjointed rant you just posted. its the typical nonsense you hear from the "keep my Co or ua my Co or ua, I hate this merger (for no reason other than I am bias)" crowd. I assure you, that is a fast track to not be taken seriously bby anyone other than fellow partisans - I.e., irrelevancy irrelevancy.

in this case, the problem is the brush you use topaint ua so negatively with makes you appear like a partisan hack. like I said before, you will only see what you let yourself see, all so you can come on a website like this and attempt to pass off overblown hyperbole on factual grounds, thereby vindicating, to yourself only mostly, that "your" view of what constitutes reality, is the unadulturated truth. unfortunately, most of us here at least try a llittle to have open eyes, a fair amount of intellectual curiousity, and give respect wherever its due.

coming here and insulting ua employees as aisle donkeys, saying thy all hate their jobs etc., isnt really honest in any way. you know deep down youre using wild generalizations to get your opinion across - you know that both ua and Co have bad employees, you know there are magnifiscent crew at ua. and you know that some ua services and products are in fact superior to that of CO. that ua has some policies that should be kept...but yet you come here and try and paint the illusion that you know none of that - that the universe really is black and white - that Co actually is universally superior to Ua in every way and that ua knows nothing. That, in my opinion, is sad. its a new low everytime I come here and read something like you wrote. its like, give it up already - you're not fooling ananybody here - just peddling partisan talking points to try and make whatever team you play for proud. come on.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
WN is aviation's cowboy. As others delay or even cancel, WN still trudges on. Where UA and AA will be forced to closed down ORD, you can usually still count on WN to get you to MDW. WN may not be the right carrier for you, but in a pinch they've helped me out tremendously when UA is beyond overwhelmed and enters shutdown mode...as UA stranded me on a recent business trip.

I'm not sure where you get your data from, but it's certainly entertaining to read since some if it can be so far off.

Looking at the most recent DOT stats, UA at ORD came in comparable to WN at MDW (77.1% vs. 77.6% on time at those airports respectively -- not materially different, IMO).

WN also had more flights that were late more than 70% of the time than any other carrier (not just a bit more, but nearly 5x the next carrier). On a percentage basis, they were about double the next carrier. Part of that is a function of how they run their operation. Their "efficiency" is fantastic when things go well. But it leaves little time to recover when things don't.

Same for cancellations. While UA cancelled a higher percentage of ops than WN, WN cancelled a higher percentage than CO and DL and a handful of others. So it's not necessarily that they trudge along, they're affected similarly to other carriers.

I think what you're likely facing is that the common perceptions people have are not quite accurate, and people are challenging them if you state them here on FT.

Saying WN being a reliable, low-fare operation will get challenged (stats and fares don't prove it). Saying that CO is hot sh!t with the best product and service will get challenged (product cuts and some CS holes don't support it), and saying that UA is a bunch of crotchety old staff that provide surly service will get challenged (service doesn't supprot it).

All carriers have their pros and cons. Personally what I've found that the carriers that seem to have this aura of superiority (e.g., WN, CO) aren't as hot as they're hyped up to be. Similarly, the carriers that have this negative public perception (e.g., UA, US), are really not as bad as they're made out to be.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The point I was illustrating was that for all the bashing of UA equipment, the issues / on time rates / plane issues were remarkably similar in the OP's experiences w/UA and CO. I respect differences of opinion - but equating UA food with filth basically shows a lack of rational discourse IMO.

OK, so ORD shuts down and that's UA's fault? Your example does not sound like a single flight issue, but a massive airport / airline issue. That seems to be out of the realm of typical experiences - not denying it, but saying it was a black swan event.

Did you think of calling the 1K line? Or if you have club acces, try a RCC? Both generally more recommended than standing in an overly long line.
Rational discourse??? You're kidding me right? When food is s*#! it's s*#!. Tattoeed chicken that looks like it came from the Angola mess hall, salad lettuce that's stale, but oh it's an improvement...

Nah, I just stood there in a four hour customer service line with the rest of the herd, typical first time traveler...of course I did all of the above. I even found a GA that wasn't deflecting everyone to customer service or telephone banks. United Club was a joke, 1K line offered no viable options. Is it so tough to believe that UA can have bad ROPS and IRROPS???
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Rational discourse??? You're kidding me right? When food is s*#! it's s*#!. Tattoeed chicken that looks like it came from the Angola mess hall, salad lettuce that's stale, but oh it's an improvement...
You obviously have a skewed POV, so this aspect isn't worth discussing anymore.

The CO "beef wrap" (aka burrito) I had on a flight a month ago was pretty bad, but I'm not equating it to prison food. Be realistic.

Nah, I just stood there in a four hour customer service line with the rest of the herd, typical first time traveler...of course I did all of the above. I even found a GA that wasn't deflecting everyone to customer service or telephone banks. United Club was a joke, 1K line offered no viable options. Is it so tough to believe that UA can have bad ROPS and IRROPS???
What date was this? What was the "event" that you clearly don't want to address? You're clearly not talking about IRROPS of a single flight, but of a whole airline/airport. If there are ash clouds, or a day of T-storms, or a blizzard - sorry, nobody's flying.

If they couldn't find you flights, they couldn't find you flights - GS/1K would be at the head of the line for 1st availability. Would CO have had access to a magic set of flights UA couldn't see?

It's pretty clear it's time for you to give DL/AA a shot, since you have such a hatred of UA. And much of what I (and many others) think is the superior airline will be moving forward in the combined entity.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You're kidding me right? When food is s*#! it's s*#!. Tattoeed chicken that looks like it came from the Angola mess hall, salad lettuce that's stale, but oh it's an improvement...
The herb chicken I had yesterday on UA was just fine, and the alternate option (ravioli) looked good too.

Its not like CO has such great food, mostly gross cheesy junk.

UA tends to do their best to accomodate, there sometimes are no options available.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
You obviously have a skewed POV, so this aspect isn't worth discussing anymore.

The CO "beef wrap" (aka burrito) I had on a flight a month ago was pretty bad, but I'm not equating it to prison food. Be realistic.

What date was this? What was the "event" that you clearly don't want to address? You're clearly not talking about IRROPS of a single flight, but of a whole airline/airport. If there are ash clouds, or a day of T-storms, or a blizzard - sorry, nobody's flying.

If they couldn't find you flights, they couldn't find you flights - GS/1K would be at the head of the line for 1st availability. Would CO have had access to a magic set of flights UA couldn't see?

It's pretty clear it's time for you to give DL/AA a shot, since you have such a hatred of UA. And much of what I (and many others) think is the superior airline will be moving forward in the combined entity.

Your doing the same thing you say CO people are doing again. And it's nice for you to see that it's not a CO takeover finally, more of a UA one. And UA wasn't the better airline before $misek. With $misek though, it can be said there are many things UA is better at then $misek controlled CO.

Oh, and I had that burrito, and it was very good, but, as always, YMMV.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I'm not sure where you get your data from, but it's certainly entertaining to read since some if it can be so far off.

Looking at the most recent DOT stats, UA at ORD came in comparable to WN at MDW (77.1% vs. 77.6% on time at those airports respectively -- not materially different, IMO).

WN also had more flights that were late more than 70% of the time than any other carrier (not just a bit more, but nearly 5x the next carrier). On a percentage basis, they were about double the next carrier. Part of that is a function of how they run their operation. Their "efficiency" is fantastic when things go well. But it leaves little time to recover when things don't.

Same for cancellations. While UA cancelled a higher percentage of ops than WN, WN cancelled a higher percentage than CO and DL and a handful of others. So it's not necessarily that they trudge along, they're affected similarly to other carriers.

I think what you're likely facing is that the common perceptions people have are not quite accurate, and people are challenging them if you state them here on FT.

Saying WN being a reliable, low-fare operation will get challenged (stats and fares don't prove it). Saying that CO is hot sh!t with the best product and service will get challenged (product cuts and some CS holes don't support it), and saying that UA is a bunch of crotchety old staff that provide surly service will get challenged (service doesn't supprot it).

All carriers have their pros and cons. Personally what I've found that the carriers that seem to have this aura of superiority (e.g., WN, CO) aren't as hot as they're hyped up to be. Similarly, the carriers that have this negative public perception (e.g., UA, US), are really not as bad as they're made out to be.
Defending United will get challenged. U.S. News and World Report published the 2011 Airline Quality Report writing that United had the worst AQR score among major airlines with a -1.31, with customer service as its Achilles' heel. United had the second-highest customer complaint rate in 2010 with 1.64 complaints reported per 100,000 passengers. United had the unfortunate distinction of placing second on Business Insider's "The 18 Worst Companies in America" list.

Continental came in at #4. Continental took heat for increased customer complaints and increased denied boardings.

J.D. Power and Associates in their 2011 North American Airline Satisfaction Survey tied United with US Airways as the lowest in overall customer satisfaction. Continental came in third, trailing Air Canada and Alaska which were tied for first.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Defending United will get challenged. U.S. News and World Report published the 2011 Airline Quality Report writing that United had the worst AQR score among major airlines with a -1.31, with customer service as its Achilles' heel. United had the second-highest customer complaint rate in 2010 with 1.64 complaints reported per 100,000 passengers. United had the unfortunate distinction of placing second on Business Insider's "The 18 Worst Companies in America" list.

Continental came in at #4. Continental took heat for increased customer complaints and increased denied boardings.

J.D. Power and Associates in their 2011 North American Airline Satisfaction Survey tied United with US Airways as the lowest in overall customer satisfaction. Continental came in third, trailing Air Canada and Alaska which were tied for first.
ANY and I repeat ANY survey that has Air Canada ranked #1 IS FLAWED. AC is about as bad as it gets IMHO... I can buy AS, but I have had some poor experiences with them as well.

I find it funny how ridiculous this thread is. The CO people LOVE IAH, LOVE their food, don't mind stopping for gas by flying an inadequate aircraft TATL, don't mind not having a pillow, don't mind paying for cocktails in F, and don't mind being sold an upgrade when it is supposed to be unlimited.

yeah UA folks have a different perspective... we were honest with the downfalls of PMUA. It's sad that most of you CO people can't.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
ANY and I repeat ANY survey that has Air Canada ranked #1 IS FLAWED. AC is about as bad as it gets IMHO... I can buy AS, but I have had some poor experiences with them as well.

I find it funny how ridiculous this thread is. The CO people LOVE IAH, LOVE their food, don't mind stopping for gas by flying an inadequate aircraft TATL, don't mind not having a pillow, don't mind paying for cocktails in F, and don't mind being sold an upgrade when it is supposed to be unlimited.

yeah UA folks have a different perspective... we were honest with the downfalls of PMUA. It's sad that most of you CO people can't.

I don't think any CO person minds not having a pillow or having to pay for cocktails, or practically anything $misek has done. And saying UA people know the pros and cons of UA and CO people don't about CO is . I've seen many UA lovers that think UA is the best airline in the world, and many CO people who know CO can improve greatly.

Also, 757s are not inadequate for TATL. Considering, without 757s on TATL, Barcelona, Lisbon, Oslo, Hamburg, Shannon, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Belfast, Stuttgart, and Edinburgh, just to name a few, would not be able to support a TATL flight, all of these cities CO flys to and, guess what, UA doesn't.

Oh, and AC is considered by many to be the best North American airline, but as always, YMMV.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your doing the same thing you say CO people are doing again. And it's nice for you to see that it's not a CO takeover finally, more of a UA one. And UA wasn't the better airline before $misek. With $misek though, it can be said there are many things UA is better at then $misek controlled CO.

Oh, and I had that burrito, and it was very good, but, as always, YMMV.
Whatever your point is, it escapes me. Please explain what it is "I say CO people" do, and what then I'm doing to. Trying to understand a situation? What's clear from that poster's situation is that it was a massive airline/airport wide issue, not a typical single a/c IRROPS one. Did we blame CO (or UA) for canceling flights during the ash clouds? Or not getting us to our business meetings 2 days later?

While I find CO inferior in all sorts of ways, I don't equate it to Ghetto Air or the Devil's spawn. That's the big difference. Some people just can't be rationed with.

Oh, and while I sayd "much" of UA will be going forward, its still a majority CO mindset / policies IMO. $misek is still a smallball tactician who has yet to show any vision, other than keeping a few UA strengths.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whatever your point is, it escapes me. Please explain what it is "I say CO people" do, and what then I'm doing to. Trying to understand a situation? What's clear from that poster's situation is that it was a massive airline/airport wide issue, not a typical single a/c IRROPS one. Did we blame CO (or UA) for canceling flights during the ash clouds? Or not getting us to our business meetings 2 days later?

While I find CO inferior in all sorts of ways, I don't equate it to Ghetto Air or the Devil's spawn. That's the big difference. Some people just can't be rationed with.

Oh, and while I sayd "much" of UA will be going forward, its still a majority CO mindset / policies IMO. $misek is still a smallball tactician who has yet to show any vision, other than keeping a few UA strengths.

When you don't hear something you don't want to, you say "Oh, it doesn't matter", and if a CO person said the same thing, you (I'm using "you" as a generalization for a UA flyer) would jump on him saying it does matter.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
unfortunately, people like you see what they want to see - whatever supports your predetermined bias. all you are doing is using standard anti-ua talking points that have been paraded for years - yes, with some basis of truth, no doubt, but not anywhere to the extreme level you try and purport.

The idea that either CO or UA is marketably better than the other, that one "sucks" and the other one is a "golden angel", is deluded partisan rhetoric, sort of like the ill informed, wholly illogical disjointed rant you just posted. its the typical nonsense you hear from the "keep my Co or ua my Co or ua, I hate this merger (for no reason other than I am bias)" crowd. I assure you, that is a fast track to not be taken seriously bby anyone other than fellow partisans - I.e., irrelevancy irrelevancy.

in this case, the problem is the brush you use topaint ua so negatively with makes you appear like a partisan hack. like I said before, you will only see what you let yourself see, all so you can come on a website like this and attempt to pass off overblown hyperbole on factual grounds, thereby vindicating, to yourself only mostly, that "your" view of what constitutes reality, is the unadulturated truth. unfortunately, most of us here at least try a llittle to have open eyes, a fair amount of intellectual curiousity, and give respect wherever its due.

coming here and insulting ua employees as aisle donkeys, saying thy all hate their jobs etc., isnt really honest in any way. you know deep down youre using wild generalizations to get your opinion across - you know that both ua and Co have bad employees, you know there are magnifiscent crew at ua. and you know that some ua services and products are in fact superior to that of CO. that ua has some policies that should be kept...but yet you come here and try and paint the illusion that you know none of that - that the universe really is black and white - that Co actually is universally superior to Ua in every way and that ua knows nothing. That, in my opinion, is sad. its a new low everytime I come here and read something like you wrote. its like, give it up already - you're not fooling ananybody here - just peddling partisan talking points to try and make whatever team you play for proud. come on.

Rah! Rah! Rah!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
I don't think any CO person minds not having a pillow or having to pay for cocktails, or practically anything $misek has done. And saying UA people know the pros and cons of UA and CO people don't about CO is . I've seen many UA lovers that think UA is the best airline in the world, and many CO people who know CO can improve greatly.

Also, 757s are not inadequate for TATL. Considering, without 757s on TATL, Barcelona, Lisbon, Oslo, Hamburg, Shannon, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Belfast, Stuttgart, and Edinburgh, just to name a few, would not be able to support a TATL flight, all of these cities CO flys to and, guess what, UA doesn't.

Oh, and AC is considered by many to be the best North American airline, but as always, YMMV.
I don't understand your point on the 757... it is NOT meant to fly TATL. It can, but is not meant to. UA had a different strategy to approach other markets by using * Alliance carriers. Please point out the UA lovers that don't point out their PMUA problems?

Sorry if PMCO folks don't miss pillows in F and don't mind paying for cocktails. Guess what? I do... Also, when I am stuck in Y, I prefer E+ (you will see it one day) and I don't want to pay $8 for DTV! I prefer the free media or my own and ch 9. Also, the CO flights I have been on I see very few people paying. With that said, I have paid 2x... for baseball playoffs and football last year. Unfortunately, it kept get interrupted at key points so certainly not infallible or perfect IMHO. Oh and then lucky me on the 1x I was upgraded LAX-IAH we got a CO bird that had ZERO IFE... no DTV and nothing free! Yeah that sucks.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
I don't understand your point on the 757... it is NOT meant to fly TATL. It can, but is not meant to. UA had a different strategy to approach other markets by using * Alliance carriers. Please point out the UA lovers that don't point out their PMUA problems?

Sorry if PMCO folks don't miss pillows in F and don't mind paying for cocktails. Guess what? I do... Also, when I am stuck in Y, I prefer E+ (you will see it one day) and I don't want to pay $8 for DTV! I prefer the free media or my own and ch 9. Also, the CO flights I have been on I see very few people paying. With that said, I have paid 2x... for baseball playoffs and football last year. Unfortunately, it kept get interrupted at key points so certainly not infallible or perfect IMHO. Oh and then lucky me on the 1x I was upgraded LAX-IAH we got a CO bird that had ZERO IFE... no DTV and nothing free! Yeah that sucks.

They weren't originally, but with winglets, etc, so were.

And I know of one, UAL awesome, I haven't seen him in a while, but he is one of the PMUA that can't see that UA has faults, my point is, there some CO people like that, and some UA people like that.

And I'm sorry about your no IFE flight, CO has been getting new planes, and there have been problems with them and getting the DTV. And yes, DTV has faults, but IMO it's much beter then shared TV where you have to crane your neck around, etc to see the screen. Oh, and I also enjoy more leg room, that's why I always make sure to select bulkhead seats. Bulkhead seats, and DTV make a very nice ride, IMO.

Last edited by dinoscool3; Jul 17, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.