Community
Wiki Posts
Search

...And it begins...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
They weren't originally, but with winglets, etc, so were.

And I know of one, UAL awesome, I haven't seen him in a while, but he is one of the PMUA that can't see that UA has faults, my point is, there some CO people like that, and UA people like that.

And I'm sorry about your no IFE flight, CO has been getting new planes, and there have been problems with them and getting the DTV. And yes, DTV has faults, but IMO it's much beter then shared TV where you have to crane your neck around, etc to see the screen. Oh, and I also enjoy more leg room, that's why I always make sure to select bulkhead seats. Bulkhead seats, and DTV make a very nice ride, IMO.
^^^
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA

Sorry if PMCO folks don't miss pillows in F and don't mind paying for cocktails. Guess what? I do... Also, when I am stuck in Y, I prefer E+ (you will see it one day) and I don't want to pay $8 for DTV! I prefer the free media or my own and ch 9. Also, the CO flights I have been on I see very few people paying. With that said, I have paid 2x... for baseball playoffs and football last year. Unfortunately, it kept get interrupted at key points so certainly not infallible or perfect IMHO. Oh and then lucky me on the 1x I was upgraded LAX-IAH we got a CO bird that had ZERO IFE... no DTV and nothing free! Yeah that sucks.
DTV + power outlets trumps UA's non-existant IFE any day. Sorry, Ch9 is not a guarantee since some pilots are afraid of people recording it, not realizing it's available online. With a Chase CC the DTV is $6, and for shorter flights it's cheaper. I don't miss pillows in F, I don't pay for cocktails, and I do prefer CO's F service to UA.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
I don't think any CO person minds not having a pillow or having to pay for cocktails, or practically anything $misek has done. And saying UA people know the pros and cons of UA and CO people don't about CO is . I've seen many UA lovers that think UA is the best airline in the world, and many CO people who know CO can improve greatly.

Also, 757s are not inadequate for TATL. Considering, without 757s on TATL, Barcelona, Lisbon, Oslo, Hamburg, Shannon, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Belfast, Stuttgart, and Edinburgh, just to name a few, would not be able to support a TATL flight, all of these cities CO flys to and, guess what, UA doesn't.

Oh, and AC is considered by many to be the best North American airline, but as always, YMMV.
Originally Posted by njcommodore
DTV + power outlets trumps UA's non-existant IFE any day. Sorry, Ch9 is not a guarantee since some pilots are afraid of people recording it, not realizing it's available online. With a Chase CC the DTV is $6, and for shorter flights it's cheaper. I don't miss pillows in F, I don't pay for cocktails, and I do prefer CO's F service to UA.
Good for you- I don't and it might drive me away... there is a small town lack of vision from $misek that drives me crazy. He is nickel and dime... and I hate that.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
When you don't hear something you don't want to, you say "Oh, it doesn't matter", and if a CO person said the same thing, you (I'm using "you" as a generalization for a UA flyer) would jump on him saying it does matter.
Using generalizations to make a point does no good, sorry. In this situation I was trying to understand the root of the problem, which the OP refuses to address. So it is.

Related to the other point - do you pay for your TV, or do your parents? Serious question. Makes a difference.

I have a laptop and iPod with plenty of IFE, far superior to any paid TV. But YMMV I guess if you want to pay for a few TV channels.

I think you may generalize too by saying no CO flyers have issues with $misek - think many would beg to differ.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Good for you- I don't and it might drive me away... there is a small town lack of vision from $misek that drives me crazy. He is nickel and dime... and I hate that.

Yes he's nickel and dime, but still, you'd leave because he charges for better IFE? I seem to recall UA does that with their AVOD in Y. Hmmmm.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Using generalizations to make a point does no good, sorry. In this situation I was trying to understand the root of the problem, which the OP refuses to address. So it is.

Related to the other point - do you pay for your TV, or do your parents? Serious question. Makes a difference.

I have a laptop and iPod with plenty of IFE, far superior to any paid TV. But YMMV I guess if you want to pay for a few TV channels.

I think you may generalize too by saying no CO flyers have issues with $misek - think many would beg to differ.

Yes, generalization doesn't work, I'm sorry, and if I have the money, I'll pay my parents back later for DTV. And when did I say CO flyers don't have an issue with $misek? I have an issue with $misek....
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:19 pm

To each their own. If I'm on a business trip for more than a couple days I like to watch what I'm missing at home. Also if there's a live event I want to see I am glad to pay the $6. A few channels? Try 95.

How can you recharge your laptop without outlets on a T-con? I'd rather be able to charge a laptop than watch a movie on an ipod.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Defending United will get challenged. U.S. News and World Report published the 2011 Airline Quality Report writing that United had the worst AQR score among major airlines with a -1.31, with customer service as its Achilles' heel. United had the second-highest customer complaint rate in 2010 with 1.64 complaints reported per 100,000 passengers. United had the unfortunate distinction of placing second on Business Insider's "The 18 Worst Companies in America" list.

Continental came in at #4. Continental took heat for increased customer complaints and increased denied boardings.

J.D. Power and Associates in their 2011 North American Airline Satisfaction Survey tied United with US Airways as the lowest in overall customer satisfaction. Continental came in third, trailing Air Canada and Alaska which were tied for first.

And citing mainstream rankings will get challenged as well.

I think we know there are certain airlines that do better by general members. There are also other airlines that do really well by their Elites.

There are also varying definitions of terms (e.g., customer service). A general member may think access to an agent or well-staffed checkin lines is good customer service. An Elite member who bypasses much of that infrastructure may think that fast bags off the belt, a well-staffed club CS desk, or little or no phone hold time is good customer service.

Most on this board are Elites. Citing mainstream rankings may or may not match up to what Elites tend to experience.

I think most on this board will say that CO does a better job with general members, while UA tends to do a better job with its Elite members. So ideally, if we can have the "best of both," we'd want the combined company to have improved baseline services for general members, while keeping UA's tendency to cater towards Elites.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Yes he's nickel and dime, but still, you'd leave because he charges for better IFE? I seem to recall UA does that with their AVOD in Y. Hmmmm.
No, I wouldn't leave just because of that. I actually like it I just think it's overpriced. I will consider leaving if all of these little nickel and dime issues continue. You know 20 nickels is a dollar and it's all adding up fast. I can add removing Starbucks to the list...

<----- still waiting for something I will like!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I wouldn't leave just because of that. I actually like it I just think it's overpriced. I will consider leaving if all of these little nickel and dime issues continue. You know 20 nickels is a dollar and it's all adding up fast. I can add removing Starbucks to the list...

<----- still waiting for something I will like!

Ah. I agree it is overpriced, but it is still better then shared TV IMO.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
And when did I say CO flyers don't have an issue with $misek? I have an issue with $misek....
I don't think any CO person minds not having a pillow or having to pay for cocktails, or practically anything $misek has done.
Now you're just confusing me - do CO flyers generally have an issue with $misek, or not have an issue with $misek? Maybe it was just the way you worded it.

I'm guessing sometimes you may pay your parents back for DTV, sometimes not. Many of us are on the hook for paying 100% of the time, and thus the $8 for every single flight is a lot less attractive.

To each their own. If I'm on a business trip for more than a couple days I like to watch what I'm missing at home. Also if there's a live event I want to see I am glad to pay the $6. A few channels? Try 95.
Most of my TV shows come on post-9pm, when I'm rarely flying. So the DVR is good for that; DTV, not so much. Great if free and a live sporting event I'm interested in is on, otherwise...

How can you recharge your laptop without outlets on a T-con? I'd rather be able to charge a laptop than watch a movie on an ipod.
The transcons I fly have both power and Internet, so not an issue Even without power I can get 4 hours, which is fine for me.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:18 pm

The transcons I fly have both power and Internet, so not an issue Even without power I can get 4 hours, which is fine for me.
ps is the exception, not the rule. And you said you watch on your ipod. I would rather watch on my laptop. YMMV.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ps is the exception, not the rule. And you said you watch on your ipod. I would rather watch on my laptop. YMMV.
I actually said I have a laptop AND an iPod - laptop always comes first for the IFE. iPod #2. Have no need for any DTV IME.

UA also has enough widebodies it is able to run on transcons/midcons that have AV and power, so that's nice too
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now you're just confusing me - do CO flyers generally have an issue with $misek, or not have an issue with $misek? Maybe it was just the way you worded it.

I'm guessing sometimes you may pay your parents back for DTV, sometimes not. Many of us are on the hook for paying 100% of the time, and thus the $8 for every single flight is a lot less attractive.

Arrgh! I see what I did! I meant they do mind, just was a bit distracted when writing that post.

And yes, you do have a point.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Rah! Rah! Rah!
should I construe that as implicit agreement with everything I said ? maybe that you are just a 14 year old armchair pilot (since you refuse to detail your complaints)?

like I said, irrelevancy, and now, the ignore list.

trolls are so dissappinting to see spoiling a community like thiz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.