Wiki Posts
Search

...And it begins...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm guessing sometimes you may pay your parents back for DTV, sometimes not. Many of us are on the hook for paying 100% of the time, and thus the $8 for every single flight is a lot less attractive.

Exactly. $8 x a 4-segment trip is $32. $8 x 100 segments a year is $800. Not cool.

From a business traveller's perspective, $8 for DTV is generally not something one can expense. Internet, meals, etc., are usually allowed expenses.

I bet the take-up rate would have been higher on Internet, particularly on business-heavy flights.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by channa
Exactly. $8 x a 4-segment trip is $32. $8 x 100 segments a year is $800. Not cool.

From a business traveller's perspective, $8 for DTV is generally not something one can expense. Internet, meals, etc., are usually allowed expenses.

I bet the take-up rate would have been higher on Internet, particularly on business-heavy flights.
I think you are correct, $8 on a transcon you can get a lot of work done and have some entertainment! Regarding the DTV, I think you would have a lot more purchases at a $5 pricepoint and maybe an elite discount to $3 or $4. As UA-NYC points out, most of my desired TV viewing is in the evening after 8 PM... not at 8 AM. Also, if it's not a at least a 3 hour flight, how does the $8 make sense??
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:51 pm

And citing mainstream rankings will get challenged as well.

I think we know there are certain airlines that do better by general members. There are also other airlines that do really well by their Elites.

There are also varying definitions of terms (e.g., customer service). A general member may think access to an agent or well-staffed checkin lines is good customer service. An Elite member who bypasses much of that infrastructure may think that fast bags off the belt, a well-staffed club CS desk, or little or no phone hold time is good customer service.

Most on this board are Elites. Citing mainstream rankings may or may not match up to what Elites tend to experience.

I think most on this board will say that CO does a better job with general members, while UA tends to do a better job with its Elite members. So ideally, if we can have the "best of both," we'd want the combined company to have improved baseline services for general members, while keeping UA's tendency to cater towards Elites.

Don't like the data, so discount the source?

My personal experience has been that UA doesn't do a better job for elites, as they simply don't do an overall better job across the line. So perhaps the UA elites believe they're receiving a better experience because their "mainstream" product offerings are so lackluster.

Since I obviously can't even begin to suggest that UA is a bad product on here without it coming to a near personal attack perhaps I rephrase.

Can UA please improve on their ED F seats?

Can UA please improve on their aging fleet?

Can UA please improve on their aging, poorly maintained IFE, specifically CRT monitors that require the FAs to pull them down and push them up by hand? Additionally can they actually maintain in-seat audio ports so that every customer has a chance at hearing their Hi-8 audio system?

Can UA please work to improve front line employee customer interaction? Including but not limited to FAs, GAs, the English as a second language employees at IAD, the India and Philippine based telephone reservations sales agents, the ORD ramp staff that move at a snails pace, the ORD mx staff that aren't paid for overtime (can they please be paid overtime), the PHL RCC staff that refuse or aren't enabled to assist with travel, and many many more.

Was that nicer? Or just too general for all y'all? Too "mainstream?"
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Don't like the data, so discount the source?

My personal experience has been that UA doesn't do a better job for elites, as they simply don't do an overall better job across the line. So perhaps the UA elites believe they're receiving a better experience because their "mainstream" product offerings are so lackluster.

Since I obviously can't even begin to suggest that UA is a bad product on here without it coming to a near personal attack perhaps I rephrase.

Can UA please improve on their ED F seats?

Can UA please improve on their aging fleet?

Can UA please improve on their aging, poorly maintained IFE, specifically CRT monitors that require the FAs to pull them down and push them up by hand? Additionally can they actually maintain in-seat audio ports so that every customer has a chance at hearing their Hi-8 audio system?

Can UA please work to improve front line employee customer interaction? Including but not limited to FAs, GAs, the English as a second language employees at IAD, the India and Philippine based telephone reservations sales agents, the ORD ramp staff that move at a snails pace, the ORD mx staff that aren't paid for overtime (can they please be paid overtime), the PHL RCC staff that refuse or aren't enabled to assist with travel, and many many more.

Was that nicer? Or just too general for all y'all? Too "mainstream?"
And we hear from Cleveland...

I get it you don't like some of PMUA items... do you get that some of us don't like PMCO crap? I would rather fly a 757 with the pull down CRT JFK-SEA all day rather than being subjected to a 737 nonER900 that has to stop for fuel.

There are bad people at both airlines... and some bad products at both. Your attitude beyond the pale.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
And we hear from Cleveland...

I get it you don't like some of PMUA items... do you get that some of us don't like PMCO crap? I would rather fly a 757 with the pull down CRT JFK-SEA all day rather than being subjected to a 737 nonER900 that has to stop for fuel.

There are bad people at both airlines... and some bad products at both. Your attitude beyond the pale.
Sorry BRO...

I’m sorry we don’t agree, but this was a thread started as critical of UA. Critical of UA’s hardware, first class seats, snarky reservations agents, lack of space in overhead bins and old useless air phones.

It was a beautiful thread that screamed, PLEASE GOD DON'T SCREW UP WHAT WAS A GREAT CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE AND AIRLINE!!!!

So any PMCO criticism would simply be off topic. Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
This thread has lost any relevance it may have had and should be locked.

It's like watching pep rallies of two arch-enemy high schools. And it's about as juvenile as that.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:18 pm

Yes, of course, we remember you said that last month.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:19 pm

Sorry BRO...

Im sorry we dont agree, but this was a thread started as critical of UA. Critical of UAs hardware, first class seats, snarky reservations agents, lack of space in overhead bins and old useless air phones.

It was a beautiful thread that screamed, PLEASE GOD DON'T SCREW UP WHAT WAS A GREAT CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE AND AIRLINE!!!!

So any PMCO criticism would simply be off topic. Welcome to FT.
LOL I was here 5 years before you, but thanks. Also, thanks for the no pillows, E-, crap coffee, pay per view, all access elite pass, horrible airports like IAH, 757 TATL, 737 transcon that stop for fuel, and on and on.

I get it- we are stuck with $misek's crap... I understand that you like it. I mean that's OK... I don't. my choice... and for the record PMCO has some pretty crappy birds too... still flying 737-5, oh and so many E-145 I could puke. I don't know who saw an air phone, I haven't seen one of those for years... probably on the last of the old 763.

The fact is PMUA was not perfect... but IMHO it was far better than PMCO, now $misek is bringing his nickel and dime garbage to UA. Pay for a cocktail in F please...

Pffttt!!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
LOL I was here 5 years before you, but thanks. Also, thanks for the no pillows, E-, crap coffee, pay per view, all access elite pass, horrible airports like IAH, 757 TATL, 737 transcon that stop for fuel, and on and on.

I get it- we are stuck with $misek's crap... I understand that you like it. I mean that's OK... I don't. my choice... and for the record PMCO has some pretty crappy birds too... still flying 737-5, oh and so many E-145 I could puke. I don't know who saw an air phone, I haven't seen one of those for years... probably on the last of the old 763.

The fact is PMUA was not perfect... but IMHO it was far better than PMCO, now $misek is bringing his nickel and dime garbage to UA. Pay for a cocktail in F please...

Pffttt!!
Love the no pillows, can't stand UA putting a pillow on the F seats

Never sit in E-, not a fan of E+ at expense of UA's F-

Not a coffee drinker, but agree from what I've heard it's crap

Love DirecTV

UA flew to IAH too...UA holds the trump card of bad airports, bad ops and a miserable airport experience: ORD

735 on the way out...one word, "Airbus," and they're here for a while

Criticizing E145? For what, a CR2, CR7? come on...weak.

Nickel and dime...how about Tilton that first sold so-called "elite status?"

I don't even know, do the drunks have to pay for cocktails on CO? If so, I love it.

We can't leave out .bomb! Y'all love that too? Come on, where's the defenders? Rah! Rah!

Last edited by Ysitincoach; Jul 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:40 pm

Love the no pillows, can't stand UA putting a pillow on the F seats

Never sit in E-, not a fan of E+ at expense of UA's F-

Not a coffee drinker, but agree from what I've heard it's crap

Love DirecTV

UA flew to IAH too...UA holds the trump card of bad airports, bad ops and a miserable airport experience: ORD

735 on the way out...one word, "Airbus," and they're here for a while

Criticizing E145? For what, a CR2, CR7? come on...weak.

Nickel and dime...how about Tilton that first sold so-called "elite status?"

I don't even know, do the drunks have to pay for cocktails on CO? If so, I love it.

We can't leave out .bomb! Y'all love that too? Come on, where's the defenders? Rah! Rah!
I would take a CR7 over an E-145 everyday... the CR2 I agree.

You don't drink coffee or liquor? How do you survive in CLE?

J/k but seriously, can't you see a lot of "little" things that are being removed for PMUA elites? And yes, Tilton had a lot of promotions to get people into the next grouping, but I think those were fair promotions (unfortunately I never benefited from these) to get people a "taste" of the next level... hoping they would provide more business to UA. I will tell you, as someone who had a few years at 1K- 1P is nothing in comparison.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:50 pm

Sorry BRO...
And actually this comment was actually very good! Kudos!!^^
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
It's funny, both sides snipe at the weaknesses of the other merger partner to try to make them look worse. In reality what both sides are doing is recognizing that the other carrier was third rate before the merger and the combined carrier will continue to be third rate.
If you go over to the PMUA thread, you can see the same kind of CO bashing there as you see the UA bashing here. Each airline has its strengths and weaknesses.

I do find the comments about UA's F seat headrests being uncomfortable to be really funny. They indeed are unpleasant - when you are sitting on the ground and during takeoff and landing. Once in the air - which for me at least is when I want them to be confortable - they are incredibly comfortable once adjusted properly.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
I do find the comments about UA's F seat headrests being uncomfortable to be really funny. They indeed are unpleasant - when you are sitting on the ground and during takeoff and landing. Once in the air - which for me at least is when I want them to be confortable - they are incredibly comfortable once adjusted properly.
My analogy - the higher the pricepoint of a car, the more individual settings you have for adjusting the seat to get maximum comfort. No different with UA F vs. CO F.

CRTs are only on the 757s BTW in terms of domestic aircraft.

Love the oh-so-dated ORD references, especially since with the new runway being added, on-time rates have jumped significantly. Give me ORD any day over EWR...
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
My analogy - the higher the pricepoint of a car, the more individual settings you have for adjusting the seat to get maximum comfort. No different with UA F vs. CO F.

CRTs are only on the 757s BTW in terms of domestic aircraft.

Love the oh-so-dated ORD references, especially since with the new runway being added, on-time rates have jumped significantly. Give me ORD any day over EWR...
It's more on par when comparing the UA F seat to an '83 Cadillac...sure in it's time it was state of the art, grand, comfortable, but now it's worn and has seen it's better day. Technology has eclipsed it, other product offerings are better, and it now lives in a world where shoulder level support just doesn't cut it. It now carries passengers that want a chair that supports them in the full upright position.

It's not the fact that the 757s have CRTs, but instead that UA keeps some in a perpetual state of disrepair.

My personal ORD references were for June and July of 2011, can't be that dated for someone in love with an '83 Cadillac chair.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's more on par when comparing the UA F seat to an '83 Cadillac...sure in it's time it was state of the art, grand, comfortable, but now it's worn and has seen it's better day. Technology has eclipsed it, other product offerings are better, and it now lives in a world where shoulder level support just doesn't cut it. It now carries passengers that want a chair that supports them in the full upright position.

It's not the fact that the 757s have CRTs, but instead that UA keeps some in a perpetual state of disrepair.

My personal ORD references were for June and July of 2011, can't be that dated for someone in love with an '83 Cadillac chair.
That's interesting, I don't know that many people who love sitting at a 90 degree angle while relaxing (working a different story), but that's the CO F seat for you.

Funny but terribly flawed analogy with the '83 Cadillac, good try. Best case, that thing had a moveable headrest. Maybe it was a fixed chair entirely, wouldn't be surprised.

A much better analogy - on the (new) Impala I rented last week, the headrest only went up and down. Either had to sit awkwardly back to get neck support, or lean forward in a more natural position without any. OTOH, my (2 year old) 3-series tilts forward as well (in addition to going up and down) - an additional point of flexibility, comfortable no matter how far upright or leaned back you want. Analogous to CO F vs. UA F.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Jul 18, 2011 at 8:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.