Search

...And it begins...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Still better then shared TV.

Not if you wouldn't pay for it. Shared TV is at least one free movie. CO doesn't even offer that.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Not if you wouldn't pay for it. Shared TV is at least one free movie. CO doesn't even offer that.
That's the heart of it, right? I'm willing to pay for it, and having Live TV sure beats seeing "PS I Love You" fifteen times a month.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I think the majority of people buy DTV. And also you've got outlets to plug in your electronic devices. Much better then UA.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I think the majority of people buy DTV.
Anytime I walk from the rear back to the front on a CO IFE bird, I see the majority of those TVs are dark
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Anytime I walk from the rear back to the front on a CO IFE bird, I see the majority of those TVs are dark
And many of those that aren't dark are just showing the movie trailers because the people in those seats don't realize you can turn off the monitor.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may be right, because I haven't flown since the price increase, but before then, I found a lot of people watching.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:53 am

Yeah who needs that extra legroom nonsense - CO Y is already perfect enough

Here's a thought - since you're so experienced on both carriers, instead of trotting out old (and wildly inaccurate) stereotypes, why not be productive and compare your two sets of metal experiences on:

- UG rates
- 1st meal choice received in F
- How many flights on time / severe delays
- IRROPS experiences
- Broken seat comparison (if any)

There you go
- CO 100%/UA 92%
- Only one instance on CO did not receive 1st choice/I typically won't eat on UA
- I don't track that, but only one major issue on either side...my bigger issue is with UA rampers never in place as the aircraft arrives.
- Catastrophic failure of UA IRROPS (yeah, we can't rebook you until the evening two days out, drove to MDW and flew WN instead 5th time I've had to do that).
- I had one CO bin broke, but on the UA side I don't know if this stuff is broken or just SOP for the product. Experienced many instances where UA offers ATC 9, but my seat's jack doesn't work. The ED F chairs are another example of broken or SOP? I had a nice 6hr delay when a passenger service unit was punched by a UA non-revving pilot and it fell from the ceiling. UA's crack mx staff gave up and walked off because they don't pay overtime, and we spent an hour at ORD just waiting for the next shift mx to show up.

What's it matter, rah! rah! rah! they can do nothing wrong.

For an airline with PO'd front line staff, a joke of an IT department, a website that's 'da bomb', and domestic F product that is uncomfortable at best, Hi-8 IFE being shown on CRT's that have to be manually pushed up and down into place, meals that a soup kitchen wouldn't serve at meal time, phone operators based halfway around the world, an admission that there's entirely too many elites for than expected (EWR UFC 6/29/11), you guys sure love 'em...all from the folk that scoff at WN's offerings :-).

But oh wait but in the FT world customer displeasure is rooted in inaccuracies and gross exaggerations, everything is peachy and nice.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
What's it matter, rah! rah! rah! they can do nothing wrong.

For an airline with PO'd front line staff, a joke of an IT department, a website that's 'da bomb', and domestic F product that is uncomfortable at best, Hi-8 IFE being shown on CRT's that have to be manually pushed up and down into place, meals that a soup kitchen wouldn't serve at meal time, phone operators based halfway around the world, an admission that there's entirely too many elites for than expected (EWR UFC 6/29/11), you guys sure love 'em...all from the folk that scoff at WN's offerings :-).

But oh wait but in the FT world customer displeasure is rooted in inaccuracies and gross exaggerations, everything is peachy and nice.
I find it surprising that you've had bad so many bad experiences with UA IRROPS, were you matched to a UA elite at the time?

If you hate UA so much as to call UA domestic F "uncomfortable", why do you bother flying on UA metal? I find the products to be generally a wash, but people need to take their blinders off, both airlines have positives and negatives.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Pingtung
I find it surprising that you've had bad so many bad experiences with UA IRROPS, were you matched to a UA elite at the time?

If you hate UA so much as to call UA domestic F "uncomfortable", why do you bother flying on UA metal? I find the products to be generally a wash, but people need to take their blinders off, both airlines have positives and negatives.

Oh no UA's the best at IRROPS, that's their specialty. How about working on ROPS?

Yes, I've been matched a 1K and still been left without a seat when the music stops.

I would LOVE to stop flying UA metal, sadly it's not in the cards. Especially as fewer people are coming to CLE to view both of our buildings.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Good luck with WN's IFE and F upgrades. Oh wait...

I hate to detract from the FT sport of complaining for the sake of complaining, but the grass on the other side, while often perceived to be greener, isn't.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
all from the folk that scoff at WN's offerings :-).
And what offerings would those be? I only have so much* use for a 3-stop flight to Columbus.

(* ---> <--- that much)
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
- CO 100%/UA 92%
- Only one instance on CO did not receive 1st choice/I typically won't eat on UA
- I don't track that, but only one major issue on either side...my bigger issue is with UA rampers never in place as the aircraft arrives.
- Catastrophic failure of UA IRROPS (yeah, we can't rebook you until the evening two days out, drove to MDW and flew WN instead 5th time I've had to do that).
- I had one CO bin broke, but on the UA side I don't know if this stuff is broken or just SOP for the product. Experienced many instances where UA offers ATC 9, but my seat's jack doesn't work. The ED F chairs are another example of broken or SOP? I had a nice 6hr delay when a passenger service unit was punched by a UA non-revving pilot and it fell from the ceiling. UA's crack mx staff gave up and walked off because they don't pay overtime, and we spent an hour at ORD just waiting for the next shift mx to show up.
So you got all your upgrades - that's nice

A pretty myopic view that you won't even touch UA food. They've actually invested in it greatly the last few years - and generally healthier than CO. But to say it's beneath that of a food kitchen is pretty

So you had an IRROPS issue on each airline, and some broken parts on each airline. So it goes.

It's a good thing major IRROPS never happen on your preferred CO, or even WN apparently.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A pretty myopic view that you won't even touch UA food. They've actually invested in it greatly the last few years - and generally healthier than CO. But to say it's beneath that of a food kitchen is pretty

So you had an IRROPS issue on each airline, and some broken parts on each airline. So it goes.

It's a good thing major IRROPS never happen on your preferred CO, or even WN apparently.

You know it's funny, you asked him about all that stuff, and if it's anything but what you want you do the "so what?" routine. And you say CO loving people do that. I'll listen to you say that when you stop doing it yourself.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:10 pm

There's a marked difference between myopic and taste on the UA food outlook. Just look at the benefit, when I say no thanks, that offers more food choice in the UA cabin and perhaps a UA FA, FO or CA can have an average meal. I did take a UA meal on a recent flight, and only ate the packaged food as their chicken and salad were of poor quality.

Some here purport that UA has this fantastic handling of IRROPS, and I'm just saying that personal experience has exhibited that their handling of ROPS and IRROPS is poor and needs improvement.

I have had major IRROPS on CO, and I'll tell you what, I've yet to be completely stranded, given no option for two days, or had to stand in a customer service line that stretches 300+ yards down the ORD terminal.

WN is aviation's cowboy. As others delay or even cancel, WN still trudges on. Where UA and AA will be forced to closed down ORD, you can usually still count on WN to get you to MDW. WN may not be the right carrier for you, but in a pinch they've helped me out tremendously when UA is beyond overwhelmed and enters shutdown mode...as UA stranded me on a recent business trip.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I'm a CO elite, and flew my first UA flight last April. It was an A320 ORD LGA. The aircraft was a dump. CO has nothing even close to the filthy, old, grungy interior of that plane. It was stunned to see such garbage flying in the air.

I am soooo sad to see this merger taking place.
spare us with the overblown, bankrupt outrage. I'm always stunned when I see overblown partisan rhetoric posts like this from either side, trying to somehow paint either side in one swoop of the brush stroke based on one experience. that's the only sad part here.

bottom line, Neither CO nor UA flies garbage in the air. you will not be taken seriously speaking like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.