Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pillows, headrests, and the first class experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold

After logging 1.5 million miles on United, I'm starting to fly on Continental again, and am curious about what to expect. Already I've encountered pros and cons vs. United, but will likely appreciate the pros and learn to live with the cons.

Just finished my first CO flight in first class (on a 757-300) and was surprised by one deficiency. The seat felt comfortable enough except that I like head support when I'm looking down to read, but the headrest did not tilt forward and there were no pillows to be found. On virtually all United aircraft in both first and business, you get a tiltable headrest as well as a pillow at every seat (usually a blanket, too).

Was my experience normal for Continental, or maybe just a combination of an old model seat and a very short flight, which it was? Do you guys bring your own pillows, or just get used to it?

For what it's worth, United went through a period of skimping drastically on amenities, but in the last year or two they've tried very hard to restore a pleasant experience up front. Hopefully this is the direction Continental is moving in as well.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, those "deficiencies" are typical of the CO equipment.

I've not used an airline-supplied pillow in quite some time (unless in long-haul biz) and haven't noticed any problems.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
...?...

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, those "deficiencies" are typical of the CO equipment.

I've not used an airline-supplied pillow in quite some time (unless in long-haul biz) and haven't noticed any problems.
Just because you don't care for a pillow, doesn't mean others are similarly disinterested.

OP: I suspect that in coming months, the removal of pillows from BOTH carriers will be one of the changes we'll like.
So far, everything has been lowest-common-denominator, i.e. the removal of pretzels.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
+1 - that's my biggest complaint about the CO F seat. Already not that comfortable in the head area due to a non-tilting headrest; lack of a pillow makes it even worse.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Also noticed on this flight that no one offered a pre-flight drink or to hang up my jacket. The latter was probably for the better since my seat-mate did ask to have his jacket hung and had it taken away, but never returned.

This all seems a bit disappointing, but too early to tell if the combined airline will end up with more of the best features of each or the worst. On the whole, Continental flyers seem to love the airline, so I'm optimistic about the result.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Legend717
Just because you don't care for a pillow, doesn't mean others are similarly disinterested.
The OP specifically asked. I answered. Sorry that you didn't like my answer.

FWIW, I haven't seen (felt??) a need for the CO headrest to tilt forward for my comfort because the seat is more upright to begin with. On UA the seats are more reclined by default so trying to sit up requires that of the headrest. Again, YMMV, but that's been my experience.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joel67
Also noticed on this flight that no one offered a pre-flight drink or to hang up my jacket. The latter was probably for the better since my seat-mate did ask to have his jacket hung and had it taken away, but never returned.

This all seems a bit disappointing, but too early to tell if the combined airline will end up with more of the best features of each or the worst. On the whole, Continental flyers seem to love the airline, so I'm optimistic about the result.
I've almost always had a pre-flight drink offer and the offer to hang jackets. The issue I've found is that over-eager Y pax tend to clog the FC cabin, and hence the FAs can't do their work.

On those times where I'm not upgraded, I'll simply wait near the galley until the aisle clears. This allows the FAs to do what they need to for the FC folks.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM; AA EXP; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
I've almost always had a pre-flight drink offer and the offer to hang jackets. The issue I've found is that over-eager Y pax tend to clog the FC cabin, and hence the FAs can't do their work.

On those times where I'm not upgraded, I'll simply wait near the galley until the aisle clears. This allows the FAs to do what they need to for the FC folks.
Awfully thoughtful of you ... but let's be honest, many, many of our FF colleagues, having missed out on their own upgrade want nothing to do with helping those who won the lottery enjoy their spoils. Not pretty, but human nature is sometimes less than uplifting!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: Onepass Plat
Also noticed on this flight that no one offered a pre-flight drink or to hang up my jacket.
Also happened to me on my last flight. Don't know if CO changed its policies or you and I just had particularly busy flights.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I'm indifferent about pillows on domestic flights but I agree I like the UA headrests better.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
On the whole, Continental flyers seem to love the airline, so I'm optimistic about the result.
I'm not sure this is as much a function of the quality of the product or service as it is a function of CO's relatively captive customer base.

Many of us who fly various carriers do not understand the hype behind CO. It really reflects poorly on the COmpany when they do stupid stuff like no pillows in F, or charge for certain drinks in F.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by aacharya
over-eager Y pax tend to clog the FC cabin
No excuse. Y pax are always "clogging" the F cabin during boarding. They aren't any more "eager" now then they've ever been. The FA's have 25+ minutes to service the F pax with drinks, and it seems they've been getting lazy about it the last couple years.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I'm not sure this is as much a function of the quality of the product or service as it is a function of CO's relatively captive customer base.

Many of us who fly various carriers do not understand the hype behind CO. It really reflects poorly on the COmpany when they do stupid stuff like no pillows in F, or charge for certain drinks in F.

Do tell! I have a few flights in first on CO next week. Was actually looking forward to them after fond memories of years ago (almost all US and UA now). But charges for drinks? Which ones?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by JAX Flier
Do tell! I have a few flights in first on CO next week. Was actually looking forward to them after fond memories of years ago (almost all US and UA now). But charges for drinks? Which ones?
The specialty drinks -- pomegranate martinis and mojitos. That sort of stuff -- the same type of mixers that US has for free in F (or charges $1 for in the back). CO charges $2 in First for the mixers.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by JAX Flier
Originally Posted by channa
The specialty drinks -- pomegranate martinis and mojitos. That sort of stuff -- the same type of mixers that US has for free in F (or charges $1 for in the back). CO charges $2 in First for the mixers.
We only charge for those two mixers. The liquor in F is still free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.