Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pillows, headrests, and the first class experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pillows, headrests, and the first class experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: CO Silver, TACA GOLD, HHonors Silver, A-Club Gold
I remember being in an international business flight and asking for a pillow like... 6-8 months ago and getting the lamest excuse in recorded history.

I would have accepted almost any excuse, blaming it on the caterers, calling smisek a pig, whatever... but this one was so bad that instead of making me angry, it actually made me laugh.

"Well, due to the avian flu and the swine flu we here decided to protect our passengers and stop issuing these 'petri dishes', if you'd like i can give you a rolled up blanket"
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vermando
Also happened to me on my last flight. Don't know if CO changed its policies or you and I just had particularly busy flights.
It happened to me on my last two flights a few weeks ago. The first I chalked up to boarding late (and I don't recall if other pax had PDBs). The second I chalked up to a terrible flight crew. But now I'm worried that it's some bigger conspiracy.
Big if so.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sfogate
We only charge for those two mixers. The liquor in F is still free.

What's funny is that US charges $1 for the mixers in Y. The very same mixers are twice as much in CO F.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by arthurg
I remember being in an international business flight and asking for a pillow like... 6-8 months ago and getting the lamest excuse in recorded history.

I would have accepted almost any excuse, blaming it on the caterers, calling smisek a pig, whatever... but this one was so bad that instead of making me angry, it actually made me laugh.

"Well, due to the avian flu and the swine flu we here decided to protect our passengers and stop issuing these 'petri dishes', if you'd like i can give you a rolled up blanket"

I've been fed that line too. Ridiculous.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:04 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by channa
The specialty drinks -- pomegranate martinis and mojitos. That sort of stuff -- the same type of mixers that US has for free in F (or charges $1 for in the back). CO charges $2 in First for the mixers.
At least you're not missing much if you skip those two options. Still, kinda cheap of CO to charge for drinks in F.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Legend717
Just because you don't care for a pillow, doesn't mean others are similarly disinterested.
Tee hee. That was a good one.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingProf
Awfully thoughtful of you ... but let's be honest, many, many of our FF colleagues, having missed out on their own upgrade want nothing to do with helping those who won the lottery enjoy their spoils. Not pretty, but human nature is sometimes less than uplifting!
Agreed. It would be preferrable if the steerage flyers could be boarded a few minutes after F, with the GA closing the jetway door in between. It would help reduce gate lice and would give the cabin time to get settled before the self loading cargo comes barging through making the walk of shame.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
What's funny is that US charges $1 for the mixers in Y. The very same mixers are twice as much in CO F.
Yes but they need to discount the price in US Y. It's US for pete's sake. CO F is so many thousands of times better that the additional charge is justified.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Agreed. It would be preferrable if the steerage flyers could be boarded a few minutes after F, with the GA closing the jetway door in between. It would help reduce gate lice and would give the cabin time to get settled before the self loading cargo comes barging through making the walk of shame.
Does CO board its 757s through the front door? UA boards between first and coach, which does a nice job of separating the classes. (Of course, it does mean that up front passengers aren't all first off, except when the occasional FA physically blocks the economy crowd, but that seems like a fair tradeoff to me.)
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joel67
Does CO board its 757s through the front door?
Depends on the gate. If it can be accommodated, boarding through 2L is typical.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I'm indifferent about pillows on domestic flights but I agree I like the UA headrests better.
I actually go the other way on that. When extended, the UA F headrests are perfectly comfortable, but when lowered they are far too low, plus they stick out from the seat quite a bit and thus very uncomfortably dig into my back (I'm 6'2"). Combined with the silly rule that the headrests must be lowered for taxi, takeoff and landing (no such rule on CO), this makes for fairly long annoying periods where I find myself wishing I was on CO.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
I actually go the other way on that. When extended, the UA F headrests are perfectly comfortable, but when lowered they are far too low, plus they stick out from the seat quite a bit and thus very uncomfortably dig into my back (I'm 6'2"). Combined with the silly rule that the headrests must be lowered for taxi, takeoff and landing (no such rule on CO), this makes for fairly long annoying periods where I find myself wishing I was on CO.
If you have them at their max (10" or so above the seat) on takeoff/landing, the FAs will lower them or call you out. Keep them at 3"-4" and you'll be fine.

I'm happy to take a few minutes of slight uncomfortableness for a full flight of a more enjoyable head experience
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paranoiatx
Oddly enough, I'm only 5'6" and actually raise the headrest completely above my head when I sleep so that I may lie back further (against the seat below the headrest). The best solution would be to make the headrest completely repositionable and removable -- like, for example, a pillow!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My jacket was hung and my pre-departure drink served with a smile this afternoon - nothing different there.

I hate the little cuts that are being made here and there, and I agree with the OP that the lack of a forward tilt adjustment on the headrest can be uncomfortable - but I don't miss the lice-infested, planet-o-germ, bed-bug crawlfest shared pillows.

Basic inflatable pillows are available from many vendors for under $10, or you can select a more luxurious option.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Now that I've had some more flight experience with CO, my impression of the First Class experience has substantially improved. I'm 2 for 4 on upgrades in the past week, which isn't bad considering my lowly Gold status right now. On both FC flights, I did have my jacket hung and was given pre-flight drinks. In fact, the service and food were both better than any comparable UA flights in quite some time, and will hopefully survive the merger.

The AV systems and available power on most of my flights, in both FC and coach, were much better than the typical UA domestic product. While I was happy to see the UA 737s disappear, the CO ones seem quite comfortable, especially with the large FC cabin for upgrading. Even my four hours in steerage on a 767 felt okay, although it can really use the extra few inches when E+ arrives.

By the way, I hope no one feels offended by negative comments I've made about certain elements. As a newcomer here, I'm more attuned to differences from UA than the regulars might be, and am just trying to point out those differences in the hope that your experience will help me better adapt to changes or that we might collectively lobby for the new airline to keep the best features of its predecessors. I'd still like to have pillows, tilting headrests, and maybe table cloths, but on the whole do feel that my onboard experience is moving up a notch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.