2011 OnePass Program Changes

Old Nov 16, 10, 8:16 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

2011 OnePass Program Changes

Hi Everyone, I’m pleased to share the following details about our OnePass program changes for 2011. Let the “I told you so’s” begin…
Effective Jan. 1, 2011

• System-wide Upgrades: Elite members earning 100,000 Elite Qualification Miles (EQMs) or 120 Elite Qualification Points (EQPs) will earn six one-way, System-wide Upgrades. Two additional System-wide Upgrades will be issued every 50,000 EQMs or 60 EQPs earned thereafter. These upgrades are eligible for all fares except S, T, K, L and G in all BusinessFirst markets.
    Worth noting: Newly earned SWUs in 2011 will become available mid-year (we’ll try to get as close as possible to the true “mid” this time). SWUs earned in 2010 will continue to have no fare class restrictions, however they’ll remain valid only on flights operated by Continental for now. The ability to use these on United-operated flights is a priority for us, and we look forward to introducing that capability in the coming year.

While we’ll be excluding our lowest five fare classes in BusinessFirst markets, we will be offering six instead of four to qualifying members, and an opportunity to earn even more. In addition, we’ll be introducing…
  • Regional Upgrades: As a new benefit, Elite members will earn two Regional Upgrades after completing 75,000 EQMs or 90 EQPs. Two additional Regional Upgrades will be issued for every additional 25,000 EQMs or 30 EQPs. Regional Upgrades, valid for upgrades to First Class, can be confirmed as early as the time of booking.
    Worth noting: Like the SWUs, the new RUs are planned to become available mid-2011. These upgrades will be valid in all the same travel areas that we offer complimentary Elite upgrades, and they’ll be valid with all published fares. Enjoy!
  • Presidential Platinum: Current and ongoing qualifiers of Presidential Platinum Elite will receive all benefits and services associated with the program through Jan. 31, 2012. The United Global Services(SM) program will replace the Presidential Platinum Elite program in 2012 and will be open to OnePass members. Top revenue qualifiers will be invited to Global Services in late 2011.
    Worth noting: We will no longer be offering the annual Presidential Plus credit card offer for U.S.-based Presidential Platinum members. Continental’s decision to discontinue this benefit is in preparation for our migration to Global Services, and because federal regulations enacted this past year make it complicated for us to fulfill this benefit consistently to all Presidential Platinum members. We will continue to honor this benefit for Presidential Platinum members who take advantage (or have already taken advantage) of this benefit prior to Dec. 31, 2010. The corresponding 25K bonus for offshore members will also be discontinued in 2011.
  • The OnePass Elite program year will now be valid for thirteen months, beginning Jan. 1 and continue through Jan. 31 of the following year (instead of continuing through Feb.).

Effective 2012

• Elite members earning 100,000 EQMs or 120 Elite Qualification Points (EQPs) or more during 2011 will have upgrade priority over lower-earning members.
While OnePass and Mileage Plus will continue to operate separately in 2011, we’re on track to provide you with a single world-class frequent flyer program by January 1, 2012. There’s more to come, I can promise you that! For more details and updates, be sure to check out continental.com/merger.

Thanks as always for your valuable feedback and loyalty.

Last edited by UA Insider; Nov 18, 10 at 11:22 pm Reason: Clarification regarding the discontinuation of the Presidential Plus credit card benefit for Presidential Platinum members
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
While Scott said to let the "I told you so's" begin, I think many wearers of tinfoil hats around here just got a pleasant shock to start their morning.
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:20 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Thanks for the update Scott -- do you guys have a timetable on when one can use a CO upgrade on UA and vice versa?

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I can say I'm quite pleased. Thanks Scott!

Do you happen to know if the existing UA SWUs will be good on CO flights anytime soon?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike View Post
While Scott said to let the "I told you so's" begin, I think many wearers of tinfoil hats around here just got a pleasant shock to start their morning.
Agreed, and it's always nice to see the Insider.
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:24 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Goodbye, top-tier transparency.
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by Mackieman View Post
Agreed, and it's always nice to see the Insider.
Plus1!^
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Awesome. So its basically the mileage plus program, with the current platinum tier in there for good measure. I read the additional upgrade priority as 100k CO will = 1K priority. The CR1 change is good as well, I think, is it going to be every 25k earned or every 25k OVER 75? that could get annoying...
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:29 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by CO Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, I’m pleased to share the following details about our OnePass program changes for 2011. Let the “I told you so’s” begin…

Effective 2012

• Elite members earning 100,000 EQMs or 120 Elite Qualification Points (EQPs) or more during 2011 will have upgrade priority over lower-earning members.
[/INDENT]
What are we going to call this level?......Platinum Plus
(Below PP, above Plat)
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
(Below PP, above Plat)
This is excellent news, so we will essentially have 4 CR1s, 6 SWUs by the time we hit 100K.
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Combined with the announcement that UA made today I do not think there are really too many surprises here.

We've got a 4 tier program - 25/50/75/100K EQMs or 30/60/90/120 EQPs on both sides. CR1s are added to the 75K level while SWUs stay at 100K or above. GS sticks around and will remain a nebulous enigma.

The shortened program is interesting but not a huge deal for me. For folks who are used to doing the every other year multiple B fares to Asia in Jan/Feb to get their status it could be an issue.

The only thing that makes no sense at all are the fare classes excluded from the new SWUs. Unless the fares are going to be reorganized (again) the K and G fares should not be listed there. I would expect that STNL would be excluded and W or higher will be valid. CO E fares are equivalent to W fare but with connections so it makes sense to include those as well. But excluding K & G is a very strange move IMO. I hope that's just a typo.

Here's what UA has to say, showing that it is pretty much symmetrical in terms of the changes:
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53656,00.html

In the coming year, you will begin to experience updates to your travel benefits and rewards as we integrate the United® Mileage Plus® and Continental® OnePass® programs. And while the two award-winning programs will continue to operate separately in 2011, we will be working hard to align benefits and provide you with a single world-class frequent flyer program by January 1, 2012.

Below you will find details about updates to the 2011 elite program and beyond.

2011 updates to note

EQM and EQS earned in both Mileage Plus and OnePass count toward 2012 status

* Mileage Plus and OnePass elite status miles (EQM) and elite status segments (EQS) earned in 2011 will be combined at the end of the year and count toward your 2012 status in the new program.
* On December 31, 2011, the EQM and EQS will be combined for 2012 elite status. For example: if you have 45,000 EQM with Mileage Plus and 10,000 EQM with OnePass, your balance on December 31 will be 55,000 EQM.

Elite members can earn unlimited Regional Upgrades

* These versatile upgrades can be used on all domestic routes, including transcontinental p.s.® and Hawaii flights. Regional Upgrades are valid for travel within the continental U.S., Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America.
* You will receive two Regional Upgrades as soon as you reach 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS.
* You will earn two more Regional Upgrades at every 25,000 EQM/30 EQS after that in the same calendar year, with no limit to how many you can earn throughout the year.
* This replaces today’s system, where only 1K members can earn up to eight per year.

Updates to 1K® qualification

* The number of EQS needed in 2011 to qualify for 2012 1K status is now 120.
* The number of EQM needed to qualify remains at 100,000.

Receive Systemwide Upgrades at 100,000 EQM /120 EQS

* Systemwide Upgrades are the only complimentary upgrade that offer you the comfort of premium travel to any United or United Express® destination worldwide.
* You will receive six Systemwide Upgrades as soon as you reach 100,000 EQM or 120 EQS.
* You will earn two more Systemwide Upgrades at every 50,000 EQM/60 EQS after that in the same calendar year, with no limit to how many you can earn throughout the year.

2012 updates to note

By mid-2012, Premier Executive members who earn 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS will have upgrade priority

* Premier Executive members who earned at least 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in 2011 will be upgraded ahead of other Premier Executive members.
* 1K members will continue to be upgraded ahead of lower elite levels.

Programs: UA and HH
Not trying to shoot the messenger but, I dont see these changes as good when you compare the best of both worlds (UA and CO). Oh well, its not like I'm going to start flying US anytime soon but it still hurts.
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
(Below PP, above Plat)
1K?
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
UGH -- keeping the UA names which are just absurd. Revenue based tier is not transparent. And the regional upgrades -- between regional upgrades, mileage upgrades, cash upgrades to the masses, the EUA benefit is worthless.
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:42 am

Can't say I am thrilled about the fare class restrictions on the SWU's.

Pardon my ignorance, what are regional upgrades (CR1's)?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: