Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best seat on 777 biz with new BF layout?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by snod08
Only routes that are guaranteed with new seats are the EWR-LHR and IAH-LHR flights (and the return trips too).

EWR-HKG is not guaranteed with the new seats.
So why does CO 38 IAH-EWR on Saturday show #9 coming from LHR with 777 #9 without lie flat? (according to pda , this is my incoming aircraft) I want lie flat!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by elitefreak
So why does CO 38 IAH-EWR on Saturday show #9 coming from LHR with 777 #9 without lie flat? (according to pda , this is my incoming aircraft) I want lie flat!
Unusual. There's been at least one instance of non-lie flats on the LHR routes earlier in August, but ship 009 seems to have been flying IAH-LHR (CO4/CO5) for the past few days. I haven't seen any other instances of extended use of non-lie flat aircraft on this route.

It seems after a few days of IAH-LHR back-and-forths, they're shifting the plane to EWR.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
CO not using flatbed on all LHR flights???

Only routes that are guaranteed with new seats are the EWR-LHR and IAH-LHR flights (and the return trips too).

EWR-HKG is not guaranteed with the new seats.
Oh really? Then why is today's CO 5 LHR-IAH on aircraft #9 - not flat bed configured (I am on the next leg with #9 from IAH to EWR and was hoping for flatbed)?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Unusual. There's been at least one instance of non-lie flats on the LHR routes earlier in August, but ship 009 seems to have been flying IAH-LHR (CO4/CO5) for the past few days. I haven't seen any other instances of extended use of non-lie flat aircraft on this route.
Wow. What the heck is going on? So much for the "guarantee"! On the plus side, I'm sure CO has been handing each of the disappointed BF passengers a "Customer Care Kit" consisting of 10% off a published airfare and a free drink coupon for the next domestic flight when their EUA gets sold to a first-time CO flyer for $50 at check-in.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:10 pm

Getting back to the thread topic...

I rode LHR-IAH today in the dreaded 1D next to the lav. It was really not that bad; no odors or anything of the sort. If anything, I enjoyed the additional interaction with the flight crew, and the easier deplaning in Houston (the forward door gets it's own jetway when you pull into the gates at the end of the piers at E terminal).

Don't let the lav proximity drive you away from a bulkhead seat, it's really not that noticeable unless you're a very light sleeper.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: CO Plat
Aisle Access: How does one cross over from the ABD side to EKL to use the larger restroom if the FAs shoosh me away from the front?

Are there any spaces in front of- or behind center aisle seats to cross?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by bigdeal16
Does anyone know if there are certain routes that are more likely to have the 772s with the new flat bed BF configuration? For example, since EWR-HKG is such a premier business route, is it more likely to have the new config? I'm going to HKG from BOS (likely via EWR) in 2 weeks, and want to make sure I can get the new seats if possible.

Over the past week, in flights between EWR-HKG, 7 out of the past 8 HKG-bound flights have been with lie-flats, and all of the last 8 EWR-bound flights have been lie-flats.

... It will probably be my luck to catch that odd old seat on my upcoming trip ...
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Harry IAH
Aisle Access: How does one cross over from the ABD side to EKL to use the larger restroom if the FAs shoosh me away from the front?

The only places to switch from one side to the other are through the galleys. If access to the large lav is important, my advice would be to try and sit in an E, K, or L.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Harry IAH

Another open issue seems to me to be the use by EKL passengers of the small walkway between 1DE and the galley to access the small lav next to 1D. I often select 1E and most of the time I haven't had any difficulty using the walkway, except one time mid-flight IAH-LHR last month when a crewmember placed the curtain to cover the walkway (which I didn't really understand because the curtain could also be placed in such a manner as to leave the walkway open while still covering the galley for privacy). When I slipped opened the curtain a bit to enter the walkway, a FA literally followed me from the galley to the end of the walkway and tapped me on the shoulder to ask "Can I help you?" I replied "No thank you, I'm just using the lav," whereupon she gave me a disgusted look before turning back to whatever she was doing in the galley before I committed the unpardonable sin of slipping past the seemingly-oddly-placed curtain. I also recall someone on another thread saying that on his flight, the crew was "actively discouraging" people from using the walkway. I confess I don't get this; maybe a crew member on this forum can enlighten us. If the walkway is not to be used for access to the 1D lav, then EKL passengers in the forward cabin in effect have no access to that lav, unless they walk back to the mid-cabin galley and then all the way up the other side, bypassing the two lavs available in the mid-cabin area. Which is pretty dumb. And makes for a highly-inefficient lav-to-seat ratio. Also, it seems to me as though the walkway was designed precisely to allow passengers on the forward EKL side (especially the first couple of rows) to access the 1D lav without disturbing the crew's galley work. Otherwise I'm not sure why it's even there. So why actively discourage its use? But perhaps I'm missing something. Again, maybe a crew member can enlighten us on this one. Thanks.

Last edited by st530; Oct 3, 2010 at 11:59 am
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by st530
Another open issue seems to me to be the use by EKL passengers of the small walkway between 1DE and the galley to access the small lav next to 1D. I often select 1E and most of the time I haven't had any difficulty using the walkway, except one time mid-flight IAH-LHR last month when a crewmember placed the curtain to cover the walkway (which I didn't really understand because the curtain could also be placed in such a manner as to leave the walkway open while still covering the galley for privacy). When I slipped opened the curtain a bit to enter the walkway, a FA literally followed me from the galley to the end of the walkway and tapped me on the shoulder to ask "Can I help you?" I replied "No thank you, I'm just using the lav," whereupon she gave me a disgusted look before turning back to whatever she was doing in the galley before I committed the unpardonable sin of slipping past the seemingly-oddly-placed curtain. I also recall someone on another thread saying that on his flight, the crew was "actively discouraging" people from using the walkway. I confess I don't get this; maybe a crew member on this forum can enlighten us. If the walkway is not to be used for access to the 1D lav, then EKL passengers in the forward cabin in effect have no access to that lav, unless they walk back to the mid-cabin galley and then all the way up the other side, bypassing the two lavs available in the mid-cabin area. Which is pretty dumb. And makes for a highly-inefficient lav-to-seat ratio. Also, it seems to me as though the walkway was designed precisely to allow passengers on the forward EKL side (especially the first couple of rows) to access the 1D lav without disturbing the crew's galley work. Otherwise I'm not sure why it's even there. So why actively discourage its use? But perhaps I'm missing something. Again, maybe a crew member can enlighten us on this one. Thanks.

If I am sitting in EKL, then perhaps it is something that should be discussed with the concierge/FA when first being seated - always so helpful befoire the flight begins.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:57 pm

We currently hold an aisle seat(2) and a window seat(row 3) in different rows in front cabin. 4 K&L backed up to lav are open. Should we take the pair backed up to lav or hope for a trade once on board (rows 2 & 3). Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Leo43
We currently hold an aisle seat(2) and a window seat(row 3) in different rows in front cabin. 4 K&L backed up to lav are open. Should we take the pair backed up to lav or hope for a trade once on board (rows 2 & 3). Thanks
Take row 4.
Trading on board may not happen if the other pax dont want to trade.

Welcome to FT!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:18 pm

Take row 4.
Trading on board may not happen if the other pax dont want to trade.

Welcome to FT!
+1
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm looking at 2A for an upcoming trip, for the larger ottoman. It's the only bulkhead seat open now.

Which way does the lavatory door in the front of the cabin face? Does the door open toward the front of the plane (i.e., into the galley), or does it open to the side (i.e., into seat 1D's face)?

If it opens to the front, I can't imagine how it could be problematic for 2AB. Just like how the old 8AB/KL seats were not bothered by the lavs right in front on the old angled flat configuration. If it opens to the side, it's probably real bad for 2B and 1DE, but still okay for 2A.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Which way does the lavatory door in the front of the cabin face? Does the door open toward the front of the plane (i.e., into the galley), or does it open to the side (i.e., into seat 1D's face)?
Based on the photo provided (link in my earlier post), it looks like open to the side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.