Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

To whine or not to whine? That is the question...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To whine or not to whine? That is the question...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by uanj
That is a shame, did you think about repacking her two bags?

Unfortunately this happens to all of us, I hope the agent at least was courteous about it. Last winter I was flying HI out of Hawaii and connecting on to a UA flight on UA ticket stock. My only bag was 52.5 lbs and they insisted I remove something or pay the fee for being over the limit. So I stuffed my carry-on with some clothes, the plane was no lighter in the end....
I once had to pay for a 51 lb bag on Southwest, which was fairly frustrating. It, also, was my only bag, so I couldn't re-pack.

Had the same issue as you on Hawaiian. Continental would have allowed 70 lbs., but our first leg was an inter-island flight on Hawaiian, and we had to meet their 50 lb requirement. Fortunately, we were able to step aside and re-pack to get each bag under 50 lbs. (I think our heaviest was 53, or so).

I don't have a problem with the limits, though. It may not make sense that a 10 lb bag paired with a 51 lb bag generates a fee while a 30 lb bag with a 31 lb bag does not, but they do need to think about the baggage handlers. If everyone packed one very heavy bag, it would be much harder on the people that have to move the bags around and load/unload them.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
I really don't know the rules for agents, so really can't comment other than she was following policy, but I do know for flight attendants, we are empowered to extend courtesies (free drinks, headsets, etc) to ensure satisfaction.
if I don't get the upgrade on my next flight (a Q200 for about 25 minutes), can I claim to be unhappy and get a free drink?

I just want to follow the rules
Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carvalh2
My mother lives in Argentina, and is a TAM Brazilian Airlines frequent flyer for many years. I have urged her many times to fly CO...
Don't worry, your mom still loves you... even though you were too cheap to use your miles to upgrade her from the misery of CO coach.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zoonil
Also, there was a study where they found a vast majority of the airline scales rigged in the Airlines favor. I forget where/when this study was, but it was in the recent past (last year or so).
If this is true, that is fraud. It is no different than selling someone 1 gallon of gasoline, but delivering .9 gallons.

You can call the local Bureau of Weights and Measures and have them check the scale's accuracy. The fines can be pretty serious and if the problem is widespread, one could make the case that it is intentional.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:16 pm

A recent WSJ blog about NY scales: http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009...cale-accurate/
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Don't worry, your mom still loves you... even though you were too cheap to use your miles to upgrade her from the misery of CO coach.
LOL
Yeah, I called to buy up, but they wanted almost 4 grand. Just one more "I told you so" I have to hear about.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:43 pm

LOL
Yeah, I called to buy up, but they wanted almost 4 grand. Just one more "I told you so" I have to hear about.
Serves you right for being a cheap wad! Especially towards your mom!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by trm2
if I don't get the upgrade on my next flight (a Q200 for about 25 minutes), can I claim to be unhappy and get a free drink?

I just want to follow the rules
Hey bud, it's all in how you approach me. You step on the plane with a crappy attitude blaming me for whatever happened prior, good luck. You get on the plane, and, like a mature adult talk to me like a real person with a valid complaint, acknowledging the weather is not my fault, you missing your connection is not my fault, etc, I will go more than out of my way to make sure you have a good flight

My favorite customers are the ones who feel the need to tell me how "unhappy" they are with "Continental" for things beyond any airlines' control, such as an embargo on bags (out of Acapulco, while they are screaming at their poor husband for dribbling food on his self...) or the fact that they missed their flight because they were too drunk to show up.

When I say "favorite", please, feel free to include your own sarcasm...
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Hence the reason why I avoid Delta like the plague. Last time I flew on Delta they made me repack my bags at the airport, because the agented insisted I was wrong that the allowance to Brazil was 70 lbs per bag (I had something like 55 lbs)
had it with my Moma s well on a EWR-LAX tkt. she has the CC so the bag was free but was alitte overweight. My Plat Card started to work till they realized I wasnt flying

So I took her bag, took a few things out and put some bulky light weight things from her carry-on and switched them. She wasnt too happy not my Mom the agent, as the scale tipped just right and she couldnt charge us.

true doing all of this in the middle of the term wasnt easy, but I got it done
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Rules = $$$

I also agree that rules are rules. We all would love to receive a little slack, but every rule has an arbitrary line in the sand that you cannot pass without paying the consequences (or in the case the dollars).

After all, the rules are also there to raise revenue, so since CO has been losing lots of money, the likelihood of of getting some slack is lowered.

That said, in my experience, CO is one of the most, shall we say fastidious, in its application of the rules.

I have often flown on B6 with two checked bags, one of which exceeded the limit by a few lbs and the one was quite a bit below. Instead of making me move dirty clothes from one bag to another they just let it slide -- it's the same total weight anyway so why be petty.

But when I have had a similar circumstance on CO I have always been required to shift a few lbs from bag A to bag B.

I recently flew UA YVR-ORD and had both bags over by a few lbs. The gate agent didn't even bring it up and checked our bags with a smile.

Obviously CO enforces its policies to earn more money, but there are cases when the extra few bucks in revenue isn't worth the damage to the relationship with the customer.

CO wasn't always like this. In the glory days of Bob Six, every page of the customer service manual had a phrase stating "nothing in this manual supersedes common sense."

How far the golden bird has alas fallen since...

Every page of L "Cheapo" Kellner's customer service manual has a phrase stating: "Nothing in this manual supersedes our desire to nickel and dime."

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Dec 3, 2009 at 9:40 pm
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1

Every page of L "Cheapo" Kellner's customer service manual has a phrase stating: "Nothing in this manual supersedes our desire to nickel and dime."
unfortunately, I'm afraid it's only going to get worse... though, I dare the company to prove me wrong...
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

unfortunately, I'm afraid it's only going to get worse... though, I dare the company to prove me wrong...
Agree wholeheartedly...sorry to say.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Agree wholeheartedly...sorry to say.
no sacred cows
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no sacred cows
None. How about this for the opening salvo of Smisek's tenure? UA may have E+, but CO will launch its new and revolutionary FC-.

Based on those EuroBusiness sections, FC- will entail the removal of all the domestic FC sestions and the conversion of all non-BF aircraft to single class.

FC- will be in the first few rows of the plane and the premium service will entail a free hot towel service and a 25% discount on LiveTV service. There will be no other enhancement compared to regular economy (catering will also be the same as economy).

In order to commemorate the launch of FC-, CO would be rebranded RyanAir USA.

Other revenue enhancements, inspired by RyanAir, will include charges for lavatory use, $25 for the first carry-on bag (the personal item), and $75 for the 2nd carry-on bag (with a $125 surcharge for a roll-aboard), pay window shades, and locked seat-back pouches that will require a payment to be unlocked.

All passengers will be weighed and any passenger weighing more 150 lbs will be charged $1 per lb over 150 lbs.

Now that would make a splash

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Dec 3, 2009 at 9:37 pm
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by sbm12
I won't go quite that far, but I mostly agree. Asking for leniency is fine, but you should not necessarily expect to receive it. You're asking for a favor and there is no rule that it has to be granted. Once it is denied, however, you really have no reasonable claim to further requests/compensation. After all, the rules were followed correctly.
This hits it right on the head. It's a shame they weren't a bit more flexible but ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.