Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #7" – Adelaide South Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 28-30, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #7" – Adelaide South Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 28-30, 2010

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 9:38 am

I still think Perth is the best place to have the do. FWIW, the sale is valid until midnight tonight.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by flashware
I still think Perth is the best place to have the do. FWIW, the sale is valid until midnight tonight.
Half the time it's cheaper for me to get to LAX than PER!
Old May 31, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I've created a totally non-scientific survey to quickly gauge opinion for the next OzFest.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6VJ8ZX2

The survey outcome is not necessarily the final decision, but it can be...

EDIT: Survey restored with more options. Previous votes have been moved over, no need to re-cast your vote.

Last edited by Leumas; May 31, 2010 at 4:53 pm
Old May 31, 2010, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by wijomas
Lies! 2nd Do, at the very least!
Will, you're right, I forgot about HNL.

Last edited by newself; May 31, 2010 at 4:36 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 31, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by thewinchester
... I would envision the use of formalised registration & management platform, which would in part be financed by a small registration fee (no more than AUD10). This would enable the organising committee members to better manage and distribute information, track attendees, dietary requirements, prepayments and hotel inventory, etc without having to reinvent the wheel. ...
I am totally against this idea.

I believe this is aneathema to what FT DO's are about. They are more of an informal get together of like minded people, especialy one like OzFest.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ertalk-do.html

Too much structure and you lose this informality.

I had a lot to do with organising MEL in 2007 and I made sure the events were locked in up months beforehand.

I employed Paypal (for 95%) of the attendees and simply wore the $50 odd dollar cost - it made life so much easier.
Old May 31, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
My personal thoughts are Darwin 2011, Canberra 2012 and Perth 2013 and then maybe start again in Sydney. ...
I would agree with this sequence.
Old May 31, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Survey restored with more options. Previous votes have been moved over, no need to re-cast your vote.
Old May 31, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by serfty
I am totally against this idea.

I believe this is aneathema to what FT DO's are about. They are more of an informal get together of like minded people, especialy one like OzFest
Agreed. And you'll never get people to fill out a proper registration form.

I couldn't even get people on the organising committee to confirm name tag details! After I handed the finished name tags to itsalongwaydown I remembered MargoOz saying last year "where's my 't'?", by which time it was too late.

Audrey
Old May 31, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by falconea
Agreed. And you'll never get people to fill out a proper registration form.
objection - i used eventbrite.com for my NUE DO - the only way to register for the DO was via the eventbrite-website and filling out a form. with the setup of the event you can request mandatory information (like the hotels people staying in, their home airports for name tags, contact phone no. etc.).
all events were pay-as-you-go-events so eventbrite could be used for free. however when you want prepaid events the website does the collection of fees for you for a small premium.

eventbrite spit out excel sheets of the registrants for every event, their hotels, etc so i could deliver a welcome letter including the nametags to the hotels. the use of this dedicated website saved me lots of time and i could use my energy on more important tasks than "herding cats" .
Old May 31, 2010, 6:08 pm

I know, but think of me for example ; I have been to every AFF Do, which has cost me a lot compared to everyone else.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:10 pm

I dare say I think you could say the same about DRW. It's not unusual for East Coast - PER and East Coast - DRW to cost about the same price.

Plus, at least you can direct to PER from AKL; you can't do that with DRW. Oh wait, we're Flyertalkers aren't we? (Why travel direct when you can connect?)
Old May 31, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA EXP; Delta Plat Medallion; Starwood Plat
I want to add my thanks to the organizers of Oz Fest #7 for a wonderful weekend in Adelaide. It was great seeing familiar faces and making new friends. JohnSydney2000, I enjoyed the after parties on Sat. and Sun, so thanks for the invites. It was a weekend of great conversation, great tours and great food and drink, so as a result, there will be nothing but Slimfast for me the rest of this week . As a first timer to Oz Fest, y'all made me feel so welcome. Looking forward to next year.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Great OzFest! Thanks to all the organizers and those who stepped up as needed. A really nice Community event, with good company, good food, and good wine.

Again, I can't thank the Hilton staff enough. I arrived early and one of the lounge ladies was welcoming me and chatting politely but I didn't dare tell her 40+ of us were on the way. Thank heavens OzStamps let them know. And in response, they sent chocolates and bubbly to our rooms. They really stepped up to the plate and were superb above and beyond expectations.

As were Audrey (how's your cat? the name tags are really nice, especially like the two-sided feature), Mwenzi for spreadsheet expertise, Bundy Bear for the credit card processing, and most of all OzStamps and Itsalongwaydown for the organizing. It was a great weekend.

If I forgot you, I seriously apologize. A long, long trip in economy on Qantas and I don't remember lots of stuff anymore.

See you all soon at another Hilton. Probably Vienna for most of you.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Finally arrived home in AKL. Really enjoyed seeing you all again, and meeting a few new faces. Sorry I didn't end up making it to Barossa, looks like you had a blast! ^

Until next time!
Thanks for your marvellous work this weekend and it's always a pleasure to catch up, wijomas. ^

Even more than before, I am hoping to find a way to a Napier or Wellington Do. With some great FTers who I enjoyed catching up with.

Wine Do, FTW!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Just want to say thank you for the OzFest !

Whilst unfortunately I didn't attend any of the dinners and day activities, I did go to the 1109 and get to meet some of you. It was great to meet you all, and hopefully I can attend future DOs and gatherings.

Just want to say a big thank you to Itsalongwaydown, Ozstamps, Mwenzi and falconea for organising the event, JohnSydney2000 for hosting the 1109. Apologies for anyone I missed.

My better half found the whole thing "amusing". She could not believe people would fly half way around the world to Adelaide for a few days to talk about flying, then flying all the way back.

She also could not believe that people would fly from ADL to BNE via MEL (or any other convoluted route) just to get additional status credits.

She also found that I am no longer "the craziest person" Hehe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.