Wiki Posts
Search

The 2009 DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
I didn't check into that (can't really when making an Open Table reservation), but since you asked first, if there are any points to be had, they're yours. I'd suggest bringing along your Kimpton account number and seeing what they can do for you.
For the record, it was said in jest. Kimpton operates on a stay and possibly $ basis, not points so it really wouldn't matter overall. It's a funky program but they are a nice option when you want a boutique stay or there are limited options in the area.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Condition One
So I take it I should show up at 7pm now?
Given that headinclouds won't be joining us, and we're now down to 5 confirmed attendees for the 7:00 pm reservation, and 1 confirmed and one maybe attendee for the 6:30 pm reservation (haven't heard anything from Global_Hi_Flier recently, so I'm guessing that he's out), I'd say yes, you should plan on arriving at 7:00 pm.

I don't want to cut the legs out from under mot29, who went to the trouble of making the second reservation (at my suggestion, I might add), but it's fairly clear at this point that we aren't going to have the bodies to populate 10 seats over our 2 reservations. As I mentioned earlier, if mot29's schedule clears, and he is able to make it, I'll phone the restaurant and see if we can add him as a 7th seat to the 7:00 pm reservation. I hope this is okay with everyone.

Last edited by gvdIAD; Feb 17, 2009 at 4:03 pm
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoingAway
For the record, it was said in jest. Kimpton operates on a stay and possibly $ basis, not points so it really wouldn't matter overall.
Given that our spend for dinner will undoubtedly exceed the cost of at least 1 and maybe even 2 hotel nights, it still can't hurt to ask whether you can get some kind of credit.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: Free Agent
mot29 sent me a PM implying that he wasn't going to make it. I PM'd him back to make sure. So unless I hear otherwise, I'll be there at 7pm.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
The trip didn't happen -- so if someone decides not to attend, please post -- I'd like to fill in.
But if not, then I look forward to seeing folks next month.
tom
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
The trip didn't happen -- so if someone decides not to attend, please post -- I'd like to fill in.
But if not, then I look forward to seeing folks next month.
tom
Tom:

You're in! I phoned the restaurant and they will add a seventh chair to our table. See you tomorrow at 7:00 pm.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Sorry, gang, I've been in LA this week. 2 of the last three weeks. I'm now based in Rosslyn (instead of DC).

New job....

Trust me, I'd much rather have been there this week - we made an unscheduled stop in ORD to fix a toilet on the plane (yes, we were "downed" by a toilet....). Almost 4 hours late on what should have been a non-stop. Sigh.

See y'all soon.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
gvdIAD ... seeing as how I only get to see your ginger skull when it is down in oz each year, thought it might be about time to re-appear at some kind of DC gathering.

I'd been to more of these than many DC locals for a while, but our travels mostly take us via DEN and ORD these days, and left coast.

I am tempted to grab the fairly cheap SYD-IAD fares on offer right now, and duck across for a weekend holed up the Sheraton Reston or somewhere inexpensive.

I see Jeff Wong is passing by a week or so earlier - shame we'll nearly cross each other.

Has there been anything held out in the boonies like Reston area for a while? And if there is, will anyone be around on a weekend?

Some fairly decent eating places in the Town Centre there, but there's been many dinners within a 15 minute ride of there IIRC

I'm looking at booking April 3-7 right now as the best time for me to get away for a few days.

Glen
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Hey, ozstamps, it's about time you made another appearance on the "right" side of North America! You can't let Jeff have all the fun.

We've recently been doing things mostly inside the beltway, especially on the weekdays (traffic congestion around here figures highly in that), but for you, I'd be happy to schedule something closer to IAD. We've got quite a few regulars out that way who I'm sure can suggest appropriate venues. For folks without cars, or who'd prefer not to drive, I'm sure we can arrange rides.

I'm currently hoping to go to Kansas City for the BBQ Do the first weekend in April, but should be back by Sunday afternoon, so a Sunday dinner would work for me. When you've got a date certain, let me know and I'll post it on the first page of the thread. We can also start discussing possible locations and times. Hope to see you here on our fair shores soon -- it's been too long.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks for squeezing this in Greg.

I just booked 4 nights at the Sheraton Reston on Priceline. At $45 that is pretty amazing especially for a week night Monday. Their own site rate was 3 times that. Should be able to schmooze breakfast and club access there, so a great deal.

So yes, Sunday evening will suit me fine. All booked and paid on UA.

Hope we can rattle the cages of some of the outer orbit locals to get along, and if Sunday does not suit all concerned I can catch up Friday/Sat, as I'll just be sitting around doing paperwork in IAD without the phone ringing here distracting me.

Glen
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sunday, March 8 -- dinner anyone?

Hey there! Anyone up for dinner Sunday night?

I got a postcard in the mail for 20% off and someone mentioned wanting indian food so how about ...

Sunday march 8
6:30 pm
Indian City Grill (royal indian cuisine)
9984 Main Street Center
Fairfax
703-385-4800
www.indiancitygrill.com

If anyone knows that we should not eat here, let me know and we will switch venues

Only some of you will get this, but I am doing the annual baking saturday and those that show will get cookies

Attendees:
GoingAway
Flug...nan
Mayor McKnife

Maybe
UncleJed+1

gvdIAD-NO
pranu-NO

Watching Movies: headinclouds

Last edited by GoingAway; Mar 8, 2009 at 8:33 am
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Hey there! Anyone up for dinner Sunday night?
I think I could be. It's right down the street from me (but haven't been there) and the wife will owe me after going out Sat night.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
I think I could be. It's right down the street from me (but haven't been there) and the wife will owe me after going out Sat night.
Not going to ask about the "owe", but you're welcome to join (as is the wife).

Anyone else?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:53 am

I got a postcard in the mail for 20% off and someone mentioned wanting indian food so how about ...
I wonder who that could be I'm a maybe since there is a Japanese film series starting this month and I'm not sure if it starts at 2 or 4 pm on Sunday.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I wonder who that could be I'm a maybe since there is a Japanese film series starting this month and I'm not sure if it starts at 2 or 4 pm on Sunday.
Let me know and we'll arrange pick up for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.