Wiki Posts
Search

The 2009 DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Sounds like Dim Sum to me... Not in Clarendon, but just 3 stops beyond in Rosslyn is a Chinese venue that one of our mainland Chinese coworker recommends. www.chinagardenva.com
It's been awhile!! Hope you can make it, I don't want to firm on the dim sum just yet as I know there are some that didn't care for that option last time I was setting one of these up. If no one else is interested, that would work for me (as long as you can speak the language (or they do) and/or you know lots & lots of the cuisine as there are foods I need to avoid )
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Sounds like Dim Sum to me... Not in Clarendon, but just 3 stops beyond in Rosslyn is a Chinese venue that one of our mainland Chinese coworker recommends. www.chinagardenva.com

Ooooh, so tempting! I work the night before though so not sure if I will be moving before noon. I would be a last minute addition.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: AS, Hyatt
I'm in for Sunday brunch on the 11th. Haven't seen any of you for a while. Ray's Hell Burger on Wilson Blvd just up the hill from Rosslyn is incredible and cheap. Delicious gourmet burgers for $7 or so.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
If no one else is interested, that would work for me (as long as you can speak the language (or they do) and/or you know lots & lots of the cuisine as there are foods I need to avoid )
Well, since they are 'small plates', it's no big deal if you have to skip that dish. Other options in Claredon that look good are Liberty Tavern www.thelibertytavern.com & Whitlow's on Wilson www.whitlows.com I'll take charge of getting a reservation, so who is in?

Last edited by headinclouds; Jan 6, 2009 at 1:54 pm Reason: add links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Well, since they are 'small plates', it's no big deal if you have to skip that dish. Other options in Claredon that look good are Liberty Tavern www.thelibertytavern.com & Whitlow's on Wilson www.whitlows.com I'll take charge of getting a reservation, so who is in?
Our 1st official event of 2009!

I'll update the first post with the location and a link to the attendees when the information becomes available.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:11 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I vote for Dim Sum! (not that my vote should count for anything considering my attendence track record)
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

China Garden it is ... although there was a mixed review in Zagats posted on 1/5 (and previously). Let's give it a shot. There is another place in Annandale known for being inexpensive with great dim sum that we'll have to try another time (after I find the name & address again).

Twin Towers
1100 Wilson Blvd. (Arlington Rd.)
Rosslyn, VA 22209
FREE PARKING

Attendees
GoingAway
headinclouds
bobovespa
flug...nan aka chtiet

tazi - a maybe (as always)
GHF - checking the calendar

Whoever arrives FIRST - please put your name on the list and ask for a table for 4 (at the moment)

Last edited by GoingAway; Jan 7, 2009 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
There is another place in Annandale known for being inexpensive with great dim sum that we'll have to try another time (after I find the name & address again).
If you find it, let me know, that's in my 'hood.

Let me look at the calendar in re the 11th.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:17 am
Original Poster

gvdIAD - updated the first post but didn't mention whether he'd be joining us or not
With any luck, I will be in bed asleep at the Hilton on Orchard Road in Singapore when you're getting together at 12:30 pm EST on the 11th. So no, unless another event like the snow storm that caused me problems on the way to SIN last year occurs again this year, I will not be in attendance on Sunday.

Hope to see you all next time.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gvdIAD
With any luck, I will be in bed asleep at the Hilton on Orchard Road in Singapore when you're getting together at 12:30 pm EST on the 11th. So no, unless another event like the snow storm that caused me problems on the way to SIN last year occurs again this year, I will not be in attendance on Sunday.

Hope to see you all next time.
So not only are you going to Asia ump-teen times, you are going for a week, plus!! Nice deal - have a great trip!

ps Smart move, too as getting out of town over inauguration weekend becomes more imperative as the closings and notices multiply !
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:28 am

China Garden it is ... although there was a mixed review in Zagats posted on 1/5 (and previously). Let's give it a shot. There is another place in Annandale known for being inexpensive with great dim sum that we'll have to try another time (after I find the name & address again).

Twin Towers
1100 Wilson Blvd. (Arlington Rd.)
Rosslyn, VA 22209
FREE PARKING

Attendees
GoingAway
headinclouds (thanks for handling the reservation)
bobovespa
flug...nan aka chtiet

tazi - a maybe (as always)
GHF - checking the calendar
It was easy handling the reservation as they don't take any The manager said they open the doors at 11:30. Sounds like city hall during the hong kong do a few years ago.

Do you mean this place, GA?
http://www.washingtonian.com/restaur...iews/2073.html

Last edited by headinclouds; Jan 7, 2009 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was easy handling the reservation as they don't take any The manager said they open the doors at 11:30. Sounds like city hall during the hong kong do a few years ago.
Very much like it was in HKG I'd expect ... I was afraid of that, but the website did say they take reservations. Oh, well.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:00 pm

I've eaten Dim Sum there many times - they won't seat you unless the whole party is there, and it's usually packed with a line out the door. But the food is good.
There is free parking in the garage underneath the building.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA
Hi All,

I'm night-stopping at the CP IAD on my way home to London in a couple of weeks. Does anybody fancy a late dinner/drinks on Friday, January 23rd, somewhere near IAD?

My flight doesn't land until 1944, but I can join you guys once I've dropped my bags at the hotel...

Would be great to meet up with some of my FT DC friends again!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Hi All,

I'm night-stopping at the CP IAD on my way home to London in a couple of weeks. Does anybody fancy a late dinner/drinks on Friday, January 23rd, somewhere near IAD?

My flight doesn't land until 1944, but I can join you guys once I've dropped my bags at the hotel...

Would be great to meet up with some of my FT DC friends again!
It'd be great to see you again, MCS?, and I should be available. I'll defer to some of our regulars who live closer to IAD to pick a location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.