Search
Old May 20, 2013, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ANC RED-EYE
Confirmed Events

Upcoming Visits

catweazle 8 November to 11 November 2018

Local Residents

Here is the list of all known ANC-based FTers. Please feel free to update this list as needed.
  • akdude
  • AKronin
  • AKScotty
  • AKSteveB
  • alaskantraveler (ANC)
  • alphaeagle (In transit?)
  • alaskamatt
  • ANC
  • ANC RED-EYE (When he's not in SAP)
  • AKDan (Kenai Peninsula)
  • beckoa
  • billscann
  • BOB W (If there's wine there is a way)
  • BoeingOrNotGoing
  • Chugach
  • ChugiakAk
  • eastwest
  • erikatcuse
  • Faralaska
  • filmdept
  • geefour907
  • HDK
  • HRHMom
  • jackal (extended vacation)
  • Jazon256
  • kajaz
  • la2jax
  • Lake_Hood
  • Legend717
  • Major G (part-time)
  • msccpa1
  • meej
  • pipeliner
  • REC1111 (Kenai Peninsula)
  • Ruthalaska
  • Seat 2A (FAI; comes through ANC often)
  • SouthAnch
  • stellertony (mostly in OAK, visits 2-3x/year)
  • wanderlove
  • warmstor
  • whereishome?
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated ANC Meet-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:17 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Excellent

The beeef is marinating as we speak in the reefer; a nice mixture of Hawaiian BBQ sauce, shoyu, ginger and a splash of Red Wine for good measure.
I like to cook with red wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I'll be in ANC, land 7:15pm on Fri, 9/30. Depart 1am Sun, 10/2. So I could possibly make dinner Friday or Saturday.

I'll also be in ANC Sat 9/24 from 7:15pm - 11:30pm. I plan to stay airside, so would have to meet there.
I'll be in town 9/23 to 9/26 as usual... I think this is my fifth trip up to ANC this season...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
AKronin is also a possibility with up to two +1's
Put me down as confirmed with at least one +1 (possibly two).

What's the official start time? And what's still missing from the menu that I can bring?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
We may have another attendee: a fellow FT-er who joined us once at the Moose's Tooth when missydarlin was in town. I told her all are welcome, but she was noncommittal.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, Marriott Plat, SPG gold, Hilton Gold,Avis PS
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I'll be in ANC, land 7:15pm on Fri, 9/30. Depart 1am Sun, 10/2. So I could possibly make dinner Friday or Saturday.

I'll also be in ANC Sat 9/24 from 7:15pm - 11:30pm. I plan to stay airside, so would have to meet there.
I am also on the Oct 2 1am SLC flight. I am looking for a good place for dinner upon arrival on the 830 MSP flight Oct 1.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nytracon
I am also on the Oct 2 1am SLC flight. I am looking for a good place for dinner upon arrival on the 830 MSP flight Oct 1.
I believe a good chunk of the ANC-based FT crowd will be out of town tasting wine in ALW, but we'll see who responds to this call.

I will, unfortunately, be at work that evening and unable to join in the festivities.

If the response from the locals is resoundingly absent (i.e. they're all out of town or otherwise busy), here's a brief guide to your options:

If you want to stay airside, the two decent options are Humpy's (an airport version of the popular downtown bar with great halibut and chips) or Norton Sound Seafood (a creation of--or at least influenced by--local celebrity chef Al Levinsohn).

Close enough to the airport to make going by cab sorta feasible (probably $12ish each way by cab):

• Bear Tooth (go for the Grill side, where the menu is huge and varied. Great beers, too)
  • Spenard Roadhouse (an upscale chef's idealized version of the old-time Alaskan roadhouse. Try the Bacon Jam Burger)

With enough advanced planning, you can probably grab a rental car on the cheap--cheaper than a cab fare downtown (without any discount codes, I'm seeing $25 after tax; a cab downtown is about $20 one-way). That opens up several more options in the midtown/downtown options (downtown is at most a 15-minute drive once you get the car):

• Simon and Seaforts (excellent seafood, steaks, bar with an upscale old-frontier saloon feel)
  • Glacier BrewHouse (highly-rated brewpub with great food)
  • Orso (upscale Italian-influenced cuisine)
  • Sack's (modern cafe with trendy and creative dishes)
  • Club Paris (solidly delicious steaks; famous for their blue-cheese-infused filet)
  • Moose's Tooth (about the best and most creative pizza you'll ever have--try the blackened halibut; warning: waits can be long-ish, although that late at night should be OK. Great beer, too, brewed on-site)

All of these are excellent options. Do some Googling or Yelping to see reviews/menus and help you narrow your choices down to what you would be interested in.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, Marriott Plat, SPG gold, Hilton Gold,Avis PS
  • Simon and Seaforts (excellent seafood, steaks, bar with an upscale old-frontier saloon feel)
  • Glacier BrewHouse (highly-rated brewpub with great food)
  • Orso (upscale Italian-influenced cuisine)
  • Sack's (modern cafe with trendy and creative dishes)
  • Club Paris (solidly delicious steaks; famous for their blue-cheese-infused filet)
  • Moose's Tooth (about the best and most creative pizza you'll ever have--try the blackened halibut; warning: waits can be long-ish, although that late at night should be OK. Great beer, too, brewed on-site)

All of these are excellent options. Do some Googling or Yelping to see reviews/menus and help you narrow your choices down to what you would be interested in.[/QUOTE]

Glacier Brewhouse is one of the places I was considering
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Hi all. I'm taking a MR up to ANC and will arrive laaaate Friday night October 7th and have decided to spend the day Saturday there before flying out late that evening.

Any suggestions as to things to do in a day? I'm spending Friday night at the Sheraton and won't be renting a car, so I'm looking for things in the downtown area or easily accessible.

Also, would love to hear some dining ideas. I looked at the eateries posted above, and am thinking the brew house for lunch. But I'm especially looking forward to some really good fresh seafood, which I've heard Anchorage is famous for, for dinner. Any thoughts on a seafood place?

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Any thoughts on a seafood place?

Thanks.
No fish outside of Alaska can even begin to compare to what's available here. (If I ever move, that is one of two major things about ANC I will miss, the other being the outdoor hiking opportunities literally in our backyard.)

My favorite meal hands-down in ANC is the parmesan/asiago-crusted halibut cheeks at Simon and Seafort's.

If you're just looking for basic halibut 'n' chips, nobody does it better than Momma O's. Good, fresh fish deep-fried in a good, simple batter.

I may be available for lunch on Saturday. Early afternoon is better for me. However, if you decide to drive outside of ANC and see real Alaska, don't schedule yourself around me.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by jackal
No fish outside of Alaska can even begin to compare to what's available here. (If I ever move, that is one of two major things about ANC I will miss, the other being the outdoor hiking opportunities literally in our backyard.)

My favorite meal hands-down in ANC is the parmesan/asiago-crusted halibut cheeks at Simon and Seafort's.

If you're just looking for basic halibut 'n' chips, nobody does it better than Momma O's. Good, fresh fish deep-fried in a good, simple batter.

I may be available for lunch on Saturday. Early afternoon is better for me. However, if you decide to drive outside of ANC and see real Alaska, don't schedule yourself around me.

I'm with Jackal on his recommendations...I'd do Momma O's if you were in a hurry =D
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nytracon

Glacier Brewhouse is one of the places I was considering
And Costco has the Gift Cards back in

Sadly I will be out until late on the 4th...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Hi all. I'm taking a MR up to ANC and will arrive laaaate Friday night October 7th and have decided to spend the day Saturday there before flying out late that evening.

Any suggestions as to things to do in a day? I'm spending Friday night at the Sheraton and won't be renting a car, so I'm looking for things in the downtown area or easily accessible.

Also, would love to hear some dining ideas. I looked at the eateries posted above, and am thinking the brew house for lunch. But I'm especially looking forward to some really good fresh seafood, which I've heard Anchorage is famous for, for dinner. Any thoughts on a seafood place?

Thanks.
Be forewarned it will be a zoo everywhere. PFD's are direct deposited on the 6th IIRC, and all stores and restaurants will be packed. I'd drive out of town to avoid the people myself if I could. Might be able to meet up for dinner in the evening if we can get in somewhere.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
I'll be arriving in ANC very early (2 AM or so) this Friday (30Sep11) and I will be leaving on Saturday evening.

Will anyone be around for lunch or dinner or something on Friday (all day, pretty much) or Saturday before 7PM?

You can PM me or send a reply here. I have only met 2 other FT peeps, and I would love to meet some more.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by honeytoes
I'll be arriving in ANC very early (2 AM or so) this Friday (30Sep11) and I will be leaving on Saturday evening.

Will anyone be around for lunch or dinner or something on Friday (all day, pretty much) or Saturday before 7PM?

You can PM me or send a reply here. I have only met 2 other FT peeps, and I would love to meet some more.
Sadly I will be in PSC those dates
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Sadly I will be in PSC those dates
Happily I will be in PSC on those dates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.