Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:08 am

Programs: UA, DL
I have enjoyed following this thread and join with many others in wishing you the best in the midst of this mess BEY and Dov.

Reports are now out that Israeli ground troops have crossed the border into Lebanon. Have you seen any signs of this Dov. in your area?

I am with you in hoping that somebody wakes up and sees the insanity of this and moves towards a quick resolution. Sounds like wishful thinking at this point...

Please keep safe, our thoughts are with you and yours.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gloria77503
Dov for president!

Oh dear no, the poor women in America would never be the same

So glad the 2 of you continue to provide us updates and real-life commentary as things unfold.

May peace find its way from your hearts into the greater world.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:13 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
About 30 minutes ago, about 6 explosions rocked our house in the mountains. Again, given our location and straight line of vision to the city, the airport and the southern suburbs, the explosions are just as deafening now as they were in Beirut. We have to keep explaining to the little ones that they are just fireworks from someone's wedding. They keep asking why are so many people getting married at this hour of the day... Kid's say the funniest things sometimes...

Anyway, soon after that, TV stations were showing pictures of a rocket being lauched and some flying object falling from the sky. No one really knows if this object is a helicopter, plane or drone. I do not really know the specifics yet but will keep you posted...
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:17 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Another reminder to please stay on topic and keep out politics from the moderators.

The past 2 days produced many, many off topic posts and despite the several distinct advices not to post political viewpoints there had to be too much of those to be edited out.

You bring the exitence of this thread to danger if you post off-topic or political stuff here. So please...!

Now on again and all the best to Dovster, BEYFlyer and the other flyertalkers in the region. Stay safe!

Thank you for listening,
ralfkrippner, communitybuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:19 am

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Anyway, soon after that, TV stations were showing pictures of a rocket being lauched and some flying object falling from the sky. No one really knows if this object is a helicopter, plane or drone. I do not really know the specifics yet but will keep you posted...
CNN is reporting that the Lebanon tv stations are reporting that hezbollah shot down an Israeli air fighter jet. They cannot confirm this because like you say they do not know what it was. I guess that there was a party in the street with guns firing in the air on the word that hezbollah shot this fighter down.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:24 am

Boker Tov Dovster and Bey -

I'm getting ready for work but had to stop to read the three pages of messages since I went to bed last night.

SO glad that you are both safe. The news from Haifa is not good. And the news from Beirut equally bad.

Stay safe, both of you!

Bey - tell them they are Dovster's weddings. He's had so many proposals he just couldn't say no to.......
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:30 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I have been following this thread since the first day. Although I don't post all that often, I regularly turn to FlyerTalk for this kind of first-hand information (as well as for all the frequent flyer info), because the forum is filled with people from all over the world, going to all over the world.

In this particular thread, Dovster and BEYFlyer have served as proxies for all the people that I know in Lebanon and Israel, who I cannot keep in touch with as much as I would like. I have visited both Lebanon and Israel in the past six months and know how beautiful both these countries are. I am sickened by the needless destruction on both sides.

Stay safe and Thank you for this thread.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by SonOfACockroach
Sorry to take this thread a bit off topic, but KimchiCQ, I'm curious if you have any connection to Korea. I couldn't help wondering if your name has anything to do with Korea's most famous food.

And of course Dov and BEY, stay safe and yell at those politicians for me.
I was going to PM you to avoid going off-topic, but ... just in case others are curious: My given name is Kimberly. I'm from Michigan, U.S.A. Had never heard of the food. Met this Chilean guy named Fabio, who is now my SBChFB.

When we were still in the flirting stage, he endearingly called me Kimchi. I thought it was a Chilean thing. Since then, I have been told by some that kimchi is "stinky fermented cabbage," and by others that kimchi is "hot spicy good stuff."

SBChFB agrees with both.

Actually, we recently tried a friend's recipe -- she used fish, which was a bit too fishy for me, but despite that I really enjoyed the spicey undertones.

And yes, Dov and BEY, stay safe ... I pray you have enough day-to-day normalcy to avoid despair. Hug the children and the dog for me.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:33 am

This is already a big enough tragedy for many. May everyone here stay safe.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:35 am

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Another reminder to please stay on topic and keep out politics from the moderators.

The past 2 days produced many, many off topic posts and despite the several distinct advices not to post political viewpoints there had to be too much of those to be edited out.

You bring the exitence of this thread to danger if you post off-topic or political stuff here. So please...!

Now on again and all the best to Dovster, BEYFlyer and the other flyertalkers in the region. Stay safe!

Thank you for listening,
ralfkrippner, communitybuzz co-moderator

Just wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to the moderators who are working so hard at keeping this forum focused and clean. ^ ^ ^ It is greatly appreciated that you are making it possible for us all to stay connected with this on such a personal level. I can not imagine the chore it is to maintain this massive and ever changing thread. It seems like every couple hours their are several new pages of posts to sort through. Great Job!! This is certainly taking FT to new heights!!!
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:37 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Love and prayers to you, Bey and your families in these frightening times.
d

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Jul 17, 2006 at 11:09 am Reason: by request
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:38 am

Are TV stations announcing evacuation plans for those interested foreign citizens still in Lebanon?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Some random ramblings:

Originally Posted by AandT
Reports are now out that Israeli ground troops have crossed the border into Lebanon. Have you seen any signs of this Dov. in your area?
There have been Israeli ground forces in South Lebanon since Thursday, although I can not see them from where I am.

----------------------------------------

In one of the villages across the border from my kibbutz I can see a white building with a large antenna. This belongs to the smaller of two UN peace keeping organizations active in Lebanon, the United Nations Treaty Supervision Organization.

According to its UN website, "Set up in 1948, UNTSO was the first peacekeeping operation established by the United Nations. UNTSO military observers remain in the Middle East to monitor ceasefires, supervise armistice agreements, prevent isolated incidents from escalating and assist other UN peacekeeping."

It has 154 military observers, supported by 99 international civilian personnel
and 120 local civilian staff and soldiers (all the rank of major or above) from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russian Federation, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and United States.

Its budget is $29.32 million per year.

The larger UN peace keeping force is the United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

The UN website says "UNIFIL was created in 1978 to confirm Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon, restore the international peace and security, and help the Lebanese Government restore its effective authority in the area."

UNIFIL has 1,991 troops, assisted by some 50 military observers of UNTSO; and supported by 95 international civilian personnel and 295 local civilian staff.

Its soldiers, of all ranks, serve in their own national battalions and come from China, France, Ghana, India, Ireland, Italy and Poland.

UNIFIL's budget is $99.23 million.

Any comment I might make about the effectiveness of these peacekeeping organizations, or how wisely their combined $128.55 million yearly budget is being used, would border on the political.

------------------------------------------

Some of you may think of me as a soldier. Well, tomorrow I have a real soldier's task: I am on KP.

Somebody from the kibbutz called me today to say that the person who usually washes the dishes in the communal dining hall will not be here for three days and asked if I am willing to do it tomorrow.

I agreed -- after all, war is heck.

-----------------------------------------

Between what was posted here, and what I have been able to find on "Google" I can tell you that there are links and/or references to this thread on the following:

gulfcoastpundit.com
livejournal.com
vicarofwadley.blogspot.com
connoisseur-topics
littlegreenfootballs.com
msnbc
SPIEGELONLINE.de
mycathatesyou.com
RantAndRave
Civfanatics.com
salon.com

If you hear of any more, please let me know.

-----------------------------------------

The "I Can't Help Myself" Department:

Originally Posted by Gloria77503
And it was just as good listening to it now, after a good night's sleep.
Gloria, I am happy to hear that it was as good for you as it was for me.

Last edited by Dovster; Jul 17, 2006 at 11:47 am Reason: edited to add new site linking to this thread
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:54 am

Dov - I am very curious if the members at Yiron at all aware that the world is listening to reports from their tiny outpost? Yiron is so small and off the beaten track (when I was there I used to tell people I lived on mountain top, far, far away). You are in minute to minute touch with the far flung corners of the world - do your next door neighbors know?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by naomib1112
You are in minute to minute touch with the far flung corners of the world - do your next door neighbors know?
Nope. I didn't even tell them about my radio interview.

I am very happy that for once I am doing something that the entire kibbutz doesn't know about.

It's not really a secret -- I just don't want everybody who has even a smattering of English to start giving me advice on how to do it better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.