Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Good job Dovster while being up against an experienced political spin-meister and a host who did not have much of a clue and who could not control the callers-in.

As those who know him can attest, Dovster is not familiar with being at any session where he is limited to being "on" only about 10% of the time and it is much to his credit that he was able to make so much of his limited exposure.

My heart bleeds for the people of Safed, a large number of whom escaped discrimination in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union to come to the Galilee and establish Safed as an artist's colony. When we left after visiting there for three days last November, the car was loaded down with drawings and paintings that were just too good not to take home.

As Dovster once said, this is the Biblical "Land of milk and honey," and for us, it is a great sadness to see it subject to this sort of destruction.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
This thread is unbelieveable. :-: My best wishes for a safe conclusion to this event go out to all the FTers in the region.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:49 am

Seconded!

Originally Posted by AandT
Just wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to the moderators who are working so hard at keeping this forum focused and clean. ^ ^ ^ It is greatly appreciated that you are making it possible for us all to stay connected with this on such a personal level. I can not imagine the chore it is to maintain this massive and ever changing thread. It seems like every couple hours their are several new pages of posts to sort through. Great Job!! This is certainly taking FT to new heights!!!
I second that!

Coming onto this thread feels like entering a patch of sanity, in spite of the hourly danger in which BEYFlyer and DOVSTER are living.
Everywhere else, the debates are sickening and shameful, with everyone spreading blame in ever increasing circles.

So, thank you all, moderators, and thank you all, especially, posters!
Be thinking of you ...

Best wishes,
V.G.E.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:53 am

Thumbs up Thanks and Best Wishes

I have been following this thread for several days and want to tell you what an inspiration the Dovster and BeYFlyer have been to me. So in the spirit of fostering peace I sent information concerning this thread to President Bush requesting that the US assert whatever influence it can to promote a cease-fire. Maybe if enough of us contact our leaders they might get of their duffs and "do their jobs" .
I have also sent notes to the TODAY show on NBC as well as to the Larry King show suggesting that the these two fine gentlemen would make excellent subject for an on-topic interview!
I say we nominate the noble Dovster and BeYFlyer for the NOBEL Peace Prize
Best wishes and keep safe!
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by V.G.E.
Coming onto this thread feels like entering a patch of sanity, in spite of the hourly danger in which BEYFlyer and DOVSTER are living.
Everywhere else, the debates are sickening and shameful, with everyone spreading blame in ever increasing circles.

So, thank you all, moderators, and thank you all, especially, posters!
Be thinking of you ...

Best wishes,
V.G.E.
I third that... It's just a shame that even in this thread the mods have to work so hard to keep it clean.

Keep up the updates DOVSTER and BEYFlyer and stay safe.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by tng5737
I have been following this thread for several days and want to tell you what an inspiration the Dovster and BeYFlyer have been to me. So in the spirit of fostering peace I sent information concerning this thread to President Bush requesting that the US assert whatever influence it can to promote a cease-fire. Maybe if enough of us contact our leaders they might get of their duffs and "do their jobs" .
I have also sent notes to the TODAY show on NBC as well as to the Larry King show suggesting that the these two fine gentlemen would make excellent subject for an on-topic interview!
I say we nominate the noble Dovster and BeYFlyer for the NOBEL Peace Prize
Best wishes and keep safe!

Who knows, maybe you guys will clear the path and bring world peace!
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
So what is the difference between kibbutz and kibbitz?
When Kibbutz was established, most of them were farms run as communal ventures (as Dov already stated).

Kibbitz . Well, think It usually refers to a couple of people hanging out, just shooting the breeze. They're kibbitzing. Or, it could be a bunch of folks just talking.

If I were to use the word in a sentence, for clarity of course, I'd say that 25 Flyertalkers together at one place, say the tour in the link below, talking miles and points, would be kibbitzing.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, AA Gold, EVA Silver, Hilton Honors Platinum
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
As for Beirut, well the sounds of bombs exploding can still be heard. The southern suburbs are nothing but a pile of cement and twisted metal. Maybe the IAF think that Hizbollah are holed up in bunkers underground.

BEY,
Is the government saying anything about sending troops to secure your southern border and protect your cities? Regarding the hezbollah, are they allowed to base their operations from Lebanon?

Dov,
How did you fare on the KP duty?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: delta,aa,northwest, united
wanted to weigh in

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I was drawn to hit by Bey & Dovs updates of what was actually happening on both sides of the border. The respect you 2 have for each other is heartwarming. If only the leaders on both sides could be so as well. I will keep monitoring for further reports from you both. Please be well & safe. May your families also stay safe. You're doing a great service to people all over the world.

Joe
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
CantSki, the KP is tomorrow.

Okay, I figured out a way to find Yiron on the map.

Firstly, go to http://www.eyeonisrael.com/

Then click on "Enter".

Move your mouse so the map starts heading to the North. When you see grid # 2, click on it.

On the very top of the map you will see the Israeli-Lebanese border. All the names you will see are places inside Israel.

Follow the border to the right of the map until you get to a big, white, "S" in a blue circle. Right above it, on the right, you will see "Yiron".

The houses represent the residential section of the kibbutz. The apple orchards extend to the border.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: USair
Google Earth map of events

If you use Google Earth (which is satellite imagery of the entire planet, available here http://earth.google.com/), someone has created a file that maps out events in both Israel and Lebanon.

You can get it here:

http://almashriq.hiof.no/lebanon/900..._July_2006.kmz

Just add the link to your Google Earth program as 'Network Link' under the 'Add' menu.

I don't know how correct it is (and I'm not responsible for it), but I thought that people here might be interested.

Chris
(new flyertalk member, travel 160k miles/year)

Last edited by ckm5; Jul 17, 2006 at 9:20 am Reason: making the instructions more clear
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:11 am
JohnnyWrath

this you?

http://griddog.homestead.com/files/maybe2.jpg

Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Sometimes, it gets unbelievable.

Several months ago, my ex, who works in the kibbutz kitchen, came to me very upset. She told me that she had heard that my UIG was moving to the kibbutz and was going to work in the kitchen and demanded to know why I hadn't had the courtesy to let her know first.

Of course, my UIG -- who has beautiful home in Milan, Lugano, and one of the ritzier sections of Tel Aviv, would never dream of moving to a rural kibbutz. And if she were to do it, she would laugh at the idea of being assigned to the kitchen.

I wasn't upset but I was fascinated. I asked her who told her such a thing and then started to backtrack on the rumor.

It came down to this: A couple of evenings earlier, they were serving pasta in the dining room. Pasta is not an Israeli speciality. In fact, on the kibbutz it tends to have the consistency (and taste) of boiled rubber.

At a table where eight people were eating, someone on one end of the table tasted the pasta and said, "Dov's girlfriend is Italian. It's a shame that she doesn't move in with him and start working in the kitchen."

By the time it got to the other end of the table, her move here was an established fact!

Last edited by ralfkrippner; Jul 17, 2006 at 9:25 am Reason: edited out quote of deleted post
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
OT: Plug For FlyerTalk

If you are new here as a result of this thread, I'd like to make a suggestion.

Check out the rest of FlyerTalk. This is an amazing community, and chances are, there is an area of interest suited to you.

Do yourself a favor and click this link to Travel Buzz and just read the thread titles.

Amazing, neh? And Travel Buzz is only one of many forums here. There is really something for everyone, traveller or not.

Welcome to FT. See you on the jetway/pier/trail/highway/slopes/bikepath/beach/subway . . .
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:17 am

POOL PARTYYYYY.....coming soon

Heres to hoping that the large pool in the photo is Dovs...then ...when this debacle is all over ....i suggest a pool party...ill bring the Bermuda Rum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.