Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster

Then, about 30 minutes ago, there was one big "boom" and, suddenly, the server was back up and running!

Sounds like the idiots I work with, if I'm not there to fix something, they slam, shake, and drop it to fix it.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Most of the missiles have landed south of Sidon, Southern suburbs of Beirut and around Baalback. A "before and after" picture of the suburbs is posted a few threads up.
Naji, isn't Haret Hreik where the Cola transport hub is (or perhaps, used to be)?

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 5, 2006 at 3:35 pm Reason: Potentially off-topic and political
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
There has been a slight let up in the shooting within the last 30 minutes, so I am going to try to take advantage of it to get some sleep.

BEYFlyer, I hope you are able to do the same.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: TrueBlue; SkyMiles; AAadvantage
Originally Posted by Dovster
We have a furniture factory, a zipper factory, a winery, orchards, and a small hotel.

DOV
, just wondering if your hotel has a Rewards program of some sorts, maybe a miles program with some airline or airlines. (Certainly a voting Kibbutznik shareholder who's a flyertalk Evangelist has arranged such!)

Maybe at end of hostilities, when the cold peace sets in (may it be soon), you could hold a DO there. I'd be happy to introduce you to some well sent and expert Mexican Coyotes (professional cross border people smugglers ) who for their usual nominal price can professionally whisk BEY to the joyous event (and, of course, back) safely. at Chateau Yiron. In the meantime, while awaiting the felicitious festivities (assuming they arrive hopefully before either the Messiah or the Mahdi makes his triumphal appearance), Dov, Bey, and all, please stay safe.

SHALOM AND SALAAM to all and especially to all innocents in harm's way
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:51 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Maybe Dovster and BEYFlyer can tell us where most of the missiles/bombs are landing in Israel and Lebanon as of late?
I'm not Dovster or BEYFlyer but hopefully they'll forgive me for taking a crack at this. Ha'aretz has a map of where they fell this weekend. From west to east the locations named are:
Haifa (7), Nahariya (59), Maalot-Tarshiha (8), Carmiel (37), Safed (22), Kiriat Shemona (31), Rosh Pina (19), Yesod Hamaaleh (2), The Golan Heights (4).

Interesting to note that at the start of last week I saw a graphic in Haaretz print which showed that 17% of the katyushut since the beginning had fallen in Haifa and 20% in Maalot-Tarshiha.

Fixed link so goes directly to map. Sorry about mistake earlier.

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 5, 2006 at 10:26 pm Reason: Fixed link so goes directly to map
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by scoow
This link took me to what I believe is the home page (can't read any of it to be more specific). Where should I click to find the map?
if you mouse over the links, the click through will be in english on the bottom of your browser, it's not too diffult to work from that. The first link I believe is the map.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM; Hilton Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cordelli
if you mouse over the links, the click through will be in english on the bottom of your browser, it's not too diffult to work from that. The first link I believe is the map.
Fourth link down.

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/imag...307.30.2.9.jpg

Stay safe over there.

FM

Last edited by Flight Mechanic; Aug 5, 2006 at 7:13 pm
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:28 pm

It just took me over 2 hours to sift through the posts, trying to find the link to BEY and DOV's pictures.

After taking a good look at them both, I decided that in addition to flirting with DOVSTER and putting in a bid for being one of his many and varied BAGs, I would also ask BEY if he was interested in a BAG. I imagine they are a bit thin on the ground in Beirut right now. How about it BEY?

Besides, DOV isn't answering my latest PM so I think I'm dumped (JK)

And for those that missed it or forgot it, it's post #1206.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Green Dragon, you were not dumped.

The reason that I did not answer your PM is that I am using my laptop computer and everytime I read what you wrote my computer, for some strange reason, kept getting raised.

By the time that I was ready to reply, the keyboard was so high that it made typing uncomfortable.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

The village of Mughar, some 20 minutes from my house, is usually what the Mid East should be like -- but isn't.

Yesterday, it was what the Mid East is like -- but shouldn't be.

Mughar is a village where Christian and Muslim Arabs, and their Druze neighbors, live together in peace.

There are no Jews (that I know of) living in Mughar but it doesn't mean that they are unwelcome there. It is on a hilltop with a beautiful view of the Sea of Galilee and when traveling to Tel Aviv I often stop in a restaurant there just to look at the water while having a delicious lamb lunch.

Sometimes, if I need something, I will also do my shopping in the village. I have never felt out of place in the slightest way.

Yesterday, Mughar was in mourning. A young Druze mother had been killed there -- for doing nothing more than sitting in her house. A katyusha rocket smashed into this peaceful village, snuffing out her life.

That was two days ago but yesterday she was laid to rest -- while the entire village cried.

As I said, yesterday Mughar was what the Mid East is like -- but shouldn't be.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Since last night, it has been very quiet here -- not only on my kibbutz but throughout Israel.

About 2 hours ago, I heard that not one rocket had been fired today.

Then, just a minute ago, one landed somewhere in my area -- it was difficult for me to judge exactly how close it was.

I am hoping that it was an isolated incident but have the unhappy feeling that it was just the start of another day like yesterday.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Reading this thread makes it all surreal. I'd like to add my own "Stay Safe!" to Dovster and BEYFlyer ^
Old Aug 6, 2006, 3:44 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
It was a quiet night (well except for that obligatory couple of missiles into the suburbs). Life in Beirut is getting more and more difficult. If we cannot get fuel into this country by sea (there was a plan to get it in by road from Syria but the bridges were bombed by the IAF a few days back), then things can get a lot worse. Hospitals are running very low on fuel and this could spell disaster for the thousands of wounded lying in hospitals all over the country... A solution is not near (despite all the activity happening between the US, France and the UN). I'm just so tired... This must end soon...
Old Aug 6, 2006, 3:49 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Naji, isn't Haret Hreik where the Cola transport hub is (or perhaps, used to be)?

Cola is sort of half way between where I live and Haret Hreik. As an FYI for those of you reading this, it is called the Cola area because the Coca Cola factory used to be there. I say used to becuase when the civil war erupted in the mid 70s, the Coca Cola factory was destroyed. Now, a parking lot stands where the old factory used to be, but the area kept the name.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 3:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
If we cannot get fuel into this country by sea (there was a plan to get it in by road from Syria but the bridges were bombed by the IAF a few days back), then things can get a lot worse.
BEYFlyer, I saw a piece on CNN about the lack of fuel for the hospitals. I thought that last week provisions were made for getting fuel tankers through the blockade in agreement with the Israelis. Did those tankers not arrive or was it not enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.