Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk Luggage Tags WORK! - Encountering Flyertalk Members Unexpectedly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:25 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday I was waiting at the gate in LAX for the prop plane to SAN when a very tired mileage runner also from America's finest city spotted my luggage tag. And he'd been in Oz when Palal and the rest of our pack were and somehow never found us! Or vice versa . I got his real name so I can invite him to our next local do.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:42 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
As is my usual MO during a layover, I was sitting outside the WorldClub (or SkyClub...blech) in DTW with my FlyerTalk tag visible on my laptop bag. Typically I'm there to leech the wifi since I sadly don't have a membership of my own, or if a generous FT comes along and invites me in.

Well, who comes along but none other than the (in)famous Spiff! He was heading to his gate to check bump opportunities, but on his way back, he brought me along into the lounge.

So far, the only two instances where I've been "spotted" have been while sitting outside the WorldClub like a lost puppy - not that I'm complaining, but here's hoping that I have many more "spotted" experiences, varied in nature.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
the famous Spiff

Spiff is actually quite a nice guy.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:38 am

Mileage run weekend. Frantic call by Mrs JJ to the psychiatrist does not stop the insanity. Friday 6/5 I share the F cabin on UA 137 to SFO with Pio007 and we chat during deplaning.
Saturday 6/6, I stagger off the 6AM United ORD-IND and while looking for the connecting gates yellow FT tags send me back to a semi-reality. dhammer53 is returning from his MR and is returning to Brooklyn via LGA. We talk for a while in the terminal before both continue what FT's do best -- earn miles.

Last edited by JerseyJoe; Jun 7, 2009 at 12:42 pm
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
After I left JerseyJoe, I headed to the escalator headed for the B gates.
Half way down the escalator is AAU (?) with a luggage tag dangling off his bag.

Back-to-back sightings.

dh
Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:49 pm

Regrettably I experienced no luck on my recent vacation. I would list all the locations to which I was at, however you may all think I'm nuts lol
Old Jun 13, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by opushomes
Spiff is actually quite a nice guy.
I can "second" and also verify that opinion

I "spotted" him at my first SIN DO this year.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 3:51 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by LLM
Yesterday I was waiting at the gate in LAX for the prop plane to SAN when a very tired mileage runner also from America's finest city spotted my luggage tag. And he'd been in Oz when Palal and the rest of our pack were and somehow never found us! Or vice versa . I got his real name so I can invite him to our next local do.
LOL. That was me! And I went online and ordered 6 FT bagtags of my own. Gonna post a travel report of my 1k MR soon.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:39 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrpickles
LOL. That was me! And I went online and ordered 6 FT bagtags of my own. Gonna post a travel report of my 1k MR soon.
Excellent, you will soon have way more than 5 posts.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:09 am
~B~

Ha, i'm so tempted to do this even though I hardly ever post. Taking about 15 flights in 3 weeks.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:55 am

Should there be a secret handshake upon meeting other FT'ers...

Something incredibly complicated, involving bending, arms under legs, star trek finger combinations and a high five.

This would get all the other passengers curious, and they too will be searching for FlyerTalk.com! hehehe
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
KosraeTV meet up with GeoFlyer on the IAH to HNL then the next morning the famous Island Hopper Flight.... Funny how things work out...
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
I actually saw my first FT luggage tag yesterday, in the overhead of a LX flight ZRH-BCN, about row 3. I meant to ask about it after the flight but fell so soundly asleep that I forgot on my way out. Now I'll never know.

Of course I wonder what the big idea of an FTer visiting BCN without looking me up for a drink is, so maybe it's all for the best.

Edited to add: a little bird just IMed me on FB to tell me who it was and it turns out I do know him and do in fact owe him a drink! What a small world.

Last edited by alanw; Jul 12, 2009 at 3:10 pm
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

irwin8417 spotted my FT tag at the W Hong Kong. As a result, we got swap views of their Fantastic and Marvelous suites.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I've been sporting Flyertalk tags on my bags for several years and never had anyone remark on them.....until July 1st on Amtrak, going MKE-CHI. He didn't tell me his flyertalk handle, just noticed my tags and said that he reads here sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.