Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

London Do: November 11, 12, 2006 (Remembrance Day and Veterans Weekend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Do: November 11, 12, 2006 (Remembrance Day and Veterans Weekend)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I paypalled using my US bank account - it jut did the conversion for me ^
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Yes, we can set the event currency using mollyguard, which means it converts automatically through the paypal connection very handy for multi-currency events like this, where otherwise we'd be worrying about forex changes a lot more!

Can i just say, that the e-mail you receive saying you must bring a copy of the e-mail or photographic ID is one of the pre-set things I can't change? We won't actually be expecting you to do that on the day
Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Thank you so much for setting this up!

What is the menu looking like for the Cafe Lazeez dinner? So happy re: curry!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I cannot find the discount code for the payment. anyone?

^
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Please put me down as a Tentative for the Saturday and Sunday. I will confirm nearer the time unless you really have to know one-way or the other now.

Most probably unlikily to attend anything happening during the week.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:33 pm

Details for Dinner at Cafe Lazeez

Caf Lazeez is a small group of Indian restaurants, based in London and Birmingham. For the curry freaks, Birmingham (and possibly Bradford, since I do live in Yorkshire) is the heartland of Indian food in the UK, so it's a plus sign to have a group which has a base there. Were going to be eating at the Soho branch in Dean St.

Its a chic, modern dcor, currently undergoing refurbishment, which should be over in plenty of time for November. A small group of FTers went there at the end of last month to taste the proposed menu, and see if it met our high standards. With a pretty resounding, yes, it did. Food was excellent, pretty traditional, so no twists, but very well executed, with good attention payed to flavours. Weve got a menu which goes from mild through to a very nicely spiced Lamb Bhuna more of that presently. Wines were good quality and fairly reasonably priced (with the proviso that this is London).

The menu we will be eating will be something like the one we ate at the tasting menu there may be some differences with the starters, which, while nice, we thought could be a little more varied, so we have asked them to look at those again for us.

One thing to note I believe that you wont be asked to chose between the dishes, instead, you will get a selection of all them to share with your dining companions. So youll get to taste everything, and its well worth the tasting!
The menu
Poppadoms and chutney

Starters:
GREEN CARDAMOM CHICKEN TIKKA: Cubes of chicken marinated with cream cheese, green chilli, cardamom and chargrilled - this was excellent, really juicy and tender with excellent flavour everyones favourite starter
ALOO KI TIKKI: Potato & pea patty, straw potatoes, tamarind & mint chutney- slightly dull and disappointing, one of the dishes we asked them to reconsider, I'm not sure what the replacement might be or could be
SALAD: Salad greens and relishes with garlic vinaigrette it was salad!

Main Courses:
BUTTER CHICKEN: Grilled chicken in a rich tomato sauce with fenugreek leaves a mild, rich dish, chicken was nicely tender and had been tandoored for extra flavour
BHUNA ADRAKI LAMB: Slow cooked boneless lamb in yoghurt gravy with ginger and spices the hottest dish on the menu, but still not a burn your mouth on immediate contact hot fabulous flavour, and the chilli heat built up nicely the more you ate
VEGETABLE JALFREZI: Stir- fry of fresh seasonal vegetables with tomatoes and cuminsounds dull, tasted divine. Really nice dish, again with the hallmark careful seasoning vegetables were nice and tender, but not overcooked and retained some bite
BABY BAIGAN TAWA MASALA: Baby aubergines tossed in a tangy onion tomato masala with nigella seeds and another nice dish maybe not the highs of the others, but still one I would be happy to eat at any time
DAL OF THE DAY
BASMATI RICE
NAAN
the dal was dal, the rice was really nicely done, and the naan was excellent as well

DESSERTS
KULFI Indian ice cream, in mango or pistachio. Dispute around the table over which was better, with us pretty evenly divided! The mango was more like western sorbet, the pistachio was quite dry as Id expect kulfi to be
INDIAN RICE PUDDING a fairly small dish of nicely spiced rice-pudding good use of cardamon

Were still negotiating to get tea and coffee included as well in the price well keep you updated! But given its in central London, its extremely good value (other options we were having to consider which could seat an event of this size were 50/head + service!), and the food is good quality traditional Indian. There's even a bar for post meal drinking! We hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by Jenbel; Sep 19, 2006 at 4:51 pm
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:31 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I'm thinking of partaking in the afternoon tea on the Thames - any idea how many have signed up for this event?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:51 am

As of now, 16 payments have been received, some payments are pending (so are not yet included in the total). That's also one of the things which has no capacity issues
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
jenbel, when you have collected enough money for a oneway ticket to Fiji and a small house on the beach, tell me
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Wow - ya'll are MAJORLY organized! Great job! Thank you.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by chrissxb
jenbel, when you have collected enough money for a oneway ticket to Fiji and a small house on the beach, tell me
that would be one ticket - why would I need to tell anyone
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by chrissxb
I cannot find the discount code for the payment. anyone?

^
THNX-DO-GRUP worked for me. 50% off. YMMV.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I'm coming!

I've just booked

Nov. 9 UA 6322 RNO-SFO 1414-1512
. . . . . UA 954 SFO-LHR 1812-1240+1
Nov.13 UA 935 LHR-LAX 1115-1436
. . . . . UA 1146 LAX-SFO 1600-1713
. . . . . UA 6340 SFO-RNO 1845-1937.

$803.04 for W, which I thought was highway robbery for an off season weekday flight. So I decided to return through LAX. UA cognoscenti will appreciate that this produces 588 more miles than just LHR-SFO-RNO.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:25 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Caf Lazeez is a small group of Indian restaurants, based in London and Birmingham. For the curry freaks, Birmingham (and possibly Bradford, since I do live in Yorkshire) is the heartland of Indian food in the UK, so it's a plus sign to have a group which has a base there. Were going to be eating at the Soho branch in Dean St.
The menu looks fantastic, will be great to try everything. Thanks for getting such a great dinner organized. Now the countdown...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by lili
I Paypal-ed. What are checks?
The thing I put in the mail this morning

Looking forward to November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.