Search

PDX - Oregon Brewers Festival 07/23-25

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 9:32 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I was in PDX in Jan. It's $1.60 on the metro from airport to downtown & then easy walk to hotels. It's actually a pretty good metro - clean, room for luggage, bikes, wheelchairs.

BTW - I've never been to a brewfest in my life, but I'm assuming it won't be hard to figure out what's going on/what to do
Sharon, just follow me and Spiff and you will be in good hands! The idea is to sample the various beers then when you are full, we all go over to Kell's for Guinness!
Old May 18, 2004, 9:34 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cawhite60156
Drink beer, get another beer, drink beer, get another beer, drink beer, get another beer... just keep repeating as long as you can or want! (Lots of good people-watching, too). Having been to several brewfests, they're all different but the same...
Cheryl,

We still have 10 chips left over from last year that we need to drink up!
Old May 19, 2004, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
What - chips left over?

I'm sure Spiff will be APPALLED, APPALLED that you two actually have drinking chips left over from last year! Has he taught you nothing?! And you call yourself FTers - hmmp! (kidding).
Old May 19, 2004, 12:49 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Appalled

^ What you missed is that they took a break at Kell's and drank beer.
Old May 19, 2004, 4:11 pm
In Memoriam

Baseball Beats Beer!

Originally Posted by newself
Well, I am getting quite thirsty these days while watching the cardiac kids (aka the Lakers). Thought it might be a good time to bring up the Oregon Brewers Festival in Portland in late July. They usually only have about 72 brews on tap so I think I might partake in a few 40 or so while there. Calling all beerheads...Sam, Paula, Spiff, etc!
So now I'm a beerhead, huh? Well, I obviously made a HUGE mistake and bought tickets to the Mariners-Anaheim series these same days so will be spending that weekend pretty much at Safeco Field. I'd try to keep up with the Beerfest consumption there but I won't be able to afford it at those ballpark prices. I will, however, make it to Kells once or twice for a Guinness or two or three especially if the M's keep on their current course. Ouch!
Old May 19, 2004, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Gee. I always wanted to go to Portland. I'll be in San Francisco that weekend; and this looks awfully tempting.
Maybe a detour is in order. Hmm.
Old May 19, 2004, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
dan, i've never been but i heard it's fun - i think a sidetrip is in order for you
Old May 19, 2004, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Gee. I always wanted to go to Portland. I'll be in San Francisco that weekend; and this looks awfully tempting.
Maybe a detour is in order. Hmm.

I think a detour is definitely in order!!!
Old May 19, 2004, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam

Have your Baseball and Drink Beer Too!

OK, Michael is more determined than I. He suggests a trip to Portland Friday night to drink beer, more beer drinking Saturday morning, then the trip north to watch baseball Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, so I guess we're in after all with a Saturday afternoon departure.

OK, we DON'T drink and drive so if anyone was worried about that I should have mentioned we'll be traveling by train.

Last edited by TravelWeary; May 19, 2004 at 8:29 pm Reason: Afterthought
Old May 19, 2004, 8:36 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
good news

Glad to hear that Michael is the sensible one. Have you ever missed one??

Where is essx?? If she is among the missing, this Oregon citizen will volunteer to provide the appropriate sign/flag for the meeting place.
Old May 19, 2004, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm sure Spiff will be APPALLED, APPALLED that you two actually have drinking chips left over from last year! Has he taught you nothing?! And you call yourself FTers - hmmp! (kidding).

Yeah, but I THINK we started with somebody's leftover chips from the previous year in addition to last year's purchases...
Old May 20, 2004, 8:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

wrong thread --- oops

Last edited by prncess674; May 20, 2004 at 8:31 am
Old May 20, 2004, 6:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Surfacing

Sorry, guys. I've been up to my @ss in academic alligators.

'Course I'll be around that weekend. I've never missed a Brewfest. And it 'tis my birthday that weekend afterall, AND I still have the kokoleash in my hot little hand.

To confirm: Yes, the MAX train is $1.60 from PDX to downtown. It's 38 minutes from the airport to Pioneer Square. Cabs are ~$30.

Consider staying at the Doubletree at Lloyd Center, which is just on the other side of the river from the Brewfest. The train stops right next door and is free from there to downtown, an 8-10 minute EZ ride. Spiff got a good Priceline rate there last month. Embassay Suites, either Marriott, the Westin, either Hilton and the Four Points are all good options, but for godsakes stay away from the downtown DT. Spiff says it's not that bad but I'm embarrassed by its shabbiness.

If anyone needs a most excellent walking map that shows the Brewfest site in relation to all the downtown hotels, just send me an owl post and I'll get one out to you.

I'll come back up for air again after finals next month ... back to the books, now.

Last edited by essxjay; May 20, 2004 at 6:25 pm
Old May 20, 2004, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Count Me In

I'll be there, meeting with my Celebrator Beer News editor so this is officially a business trip, and then planning to hit I-5 Sunday morning to attend the M's game on Sunday before flying out on the Sunday night redeye from SEA.

Will the yellow balloons still be the way to find folks?

(And I STILL owe Essxjay a beer).
Old May 20, 2004, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Hertz Gold, Marriot , Starwood
Unhappy

Originally Posted by newself
Well, I am getting quite thirsty these days while watching the cardiac kids (aka the Lakers). Thought it might be a good time to bring up the Oregon Brewers Festival in Portland in late July. They usually only have about 72 brews on tap so I think I might partake in a few 40 or so while there. Calling all beerheads...Sam, Paula, Spiff, etc!
Geesh. Another great event happening here in the great Pacific Northwest over my birthday that I will not be able to attend. If ONLY I weren't going back East that week. A BEER party. It is the best kind that there is. I'm new to these forums here but? I wish I could attend. Ah well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.