Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hire a Flyertalker

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Comicwoman
So, let's see. I think that would bring my lifetime total to...one.
Let's not go crazy now.
Old May 11, 2004, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Let's not go crazy now.
Well, okay, but it might round to one.
Old May 11, 2004, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
go jen!

while I was unemployed Jen sent me tons of opportunities for "mystery shopping" and lots of notes of good cheer!

now as of today I am unemployed again so keep those sggestions coming in folks!
Old May 19, 2004, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
bump.

maybe this thread and the Business Exchange thread should be made sticky?
Old May 19, 2004, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Internal Audit - Two positions avail in Reston VA

Description:
Performs a variety of audits and/or related activities covering areas such as financial and operational systems and records, internal controls, policies, procedures, documents, costs and other related items with consideration of both manual and automated processes. Conducts reviews of assigned organizational and functional activities to verify and analyze transactions and representations, evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls over those activities and identify departures from standards. Prepares work papers to substantiate the conduct of the audit, document findings, identify deviations and exceptions and provide basic recommendations for correction and improvement. Has general responsibility for performing audits in accordance with professional auditing standards, including development and adherence to assignment budgets and audit programs, development of work papers, audit reports, response evaluation and recommendations follow-up. BA/BS degree or equivalent preferred. Minimum of four (4) years of related experience. Security Clearance Required

Three notes:

One: Security Clearance not required but preferred, I really don't know why they always put that in our ads and,

Two: Knowledge of the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002 would greatly enhance ones chance

Three: I get most of the travel assignments LOL
Old May 19, 2004, 5:25 pm

squeakr, thank you! sorry to hear you are unemployed ... I will send you any ideas and hope for the best for you!
Old May 20, 2004, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Two: Knowledge of the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002 would greatly enhance ones chance
This is one of the reasons why I am leaving such a job...
Old May 21, 2004, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
System Administators and Operations Engineers

Location: Across the street from SJC. You can watch planes during the day

We're actually looking to hire 3 people quickly.

For the System Administrator, it's really a significant systems/hardware engineer type job. Our solutions are "interesting" uses of common, off the shelf parts, and running systems in "unusual" ways. One thing it is NOT is boring.

Responsibilities:
• Helping design n-tier, high performance infrastructures
• Vendor evaluation of various hardware and software offerings
• Implementation of large scale system management tools
• Support of operational and quality assurance teams
• Deployment of hardware, software, and network devices in a large scale environment

Qualifications, Education and Experience:
Required
• Experience in deploying and managing high-demand, large scale n-tier architectures.
• Experience in working on highly distributed, global operations environments.
• Experience with high availability and fault tolerant hardware solutions for web, application, and database servers
• Basic understanding and knowledge of WAN and LAN routing including BGP
• Minimum of 5 years UNIX (Solaris and/or Linux) system administration
• Extensive experience with high-bandwidth (greater than 100mbit) web sites.
• Extensive experience with multi-terabyte network attached or SAN storage subsystems.
• Minimum 2 years MySQL administration experience with replicated databases
• Strong understanding of basic SQL syntax and use
Desirable
• Big Brother/SNMP/MRTG configuration and management
• Experience with Tomcat 1.4/1.5
• PXE and ComactFlash-booting systems under Linux
• Working on high-traffic (top 10) web portals/services

And for the Operations Engineers (the side of the fence that actually runs the stuff we build)...

Responsibilities:
• Administer and monitor servers used to deliver custom content services via many protocols and networks with high reliability, performance, and efficacy in a scalable manner.
• Perform operational procedures to handle:
Account Provisioning, Enacting Protection Orders, Auditing Effectiveness, Auditing Verification, Reviewing Unverified Content
• Use monitoring tools and other techniques to verify normal operation and monitor network loads
• Perform preliminary troubleshooting and take first level corrective actions for systems and load related issues
• Responsible for Interfacing with technical support on customer-raised technical issues
• 24x7 “on call” duty on a rotating basis – this position will require carrying a pager while on call

Required
• Experience operating and monitoring an on-line service using playbooks, procedures, and monitoring tools
• Experience using Java Technology, SQL, Linux or other UNIX
• Experience troubleshooting system/network problems in a large, complicated architecture
• 1 – 3 years direct experience; 3 – 5 years overall experience
Desirable
• Linux systems administration experience strongly desired
• Experience with configuration of SNMP, MRTG
• Experience with administration/troubleshooting of Tomcat or MySQL
• Windows Server Administration experience
• Other general network or systems administration experience

Please contact me via email for details!

Steve
Old May 22, 2004, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Knowledge of the Act? Does ANYONE have knowledge of it? Does anyone really know what they're doing yet? Our specifications have changed several times based upon who is actually interpretting the act.

We've been at it since last July, it is a nightmare, plain & simple.

Good luck, you're going to need it

I'll let a few of our IAs know about your position. They're dropping like flies in our offices
Old May 22, 2004, 10:40 pm

Smile Mr. Spellbound2 knows a lot about Sarbanes-Oxley Act!

Primarily as it relates to information security controls, section 404. In order to meet the requirements, a company must show that proper controls are in place for identity management (who has access to the financial records) and data protection and integrity (are the financials valid and un-altered?). He recommends and implements a range of security controls such as proper use of encryption and authentication to help companies achieve SOX 404 compliance.

sllevin, we'll let you know if we find any people for you at his upcoming conference ^ http://www.sans.org/sanslamp04/description.php?tid=55
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:25 am

FWIW, I've filled one of the above positions, but am still hoping to find a FlyerTalker for at least one of the other two positions!

Steve
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:32 am

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Another unemployed flyertalker

Hi,

Well as of last night I am unemployed thanks to the sudden closure of the facility I worked at It's not a total suprise (see my online shopping comparison thread for a bit about the last 3 weeks....

Anyway - change brings opportunities so if anyone has a job out there in the US (anywhere in the US - am happy to move) that they know of please let me know - my resume will give you a decent idea of my background etc (Call Center implementation and management, sales & marketing, and university student recruitment). So please drop me a line ([email protected]) if you know of anything.

A few items: I am a citizen of Australia and South Africa and a US Permanent Resident (Greencard) - so I need to maintain my US residency for the next 4 years to become a citizen.

I don't have a security clearance

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Andrew
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:44 am

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
just a quick bump. Still looking (I know its day 4 but I really don't like to be out of work ).
Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:59 pm

Well its happened to me for the first time..

After dodging layoffs in the IT undustry for years, I finally got nailed..
I'm an ex "big 4" technical leader/project manager.. I made a bad career move and It's come back to haunt me..

I've got a long history with networks (I remember using 10base5 and 10base2!) but haven't had more than cursory hands on with the modern stuff (Cisco 6509s etc)

I have a nack for spotting future trends (I've been a linux promoter since 1999), a Novell administrator since 1988) and can adapt to new technologies faster than most.. and I've travelled all over the world to use those skills.

The above is rather vague, simply because I've covered such a large range of topics during my 18 year career, I've lead international teams with $20million implementation budgets, I've managed network transitions for fortune 500 clients.. and I've done it all on time and under budget.

If anyone has any suggestions, post them here, or email me at mailto:[email protected] and I'll reply as soon as I'm able

Thanks to all of you that support this list..

Best wishes

Brian
[email protected]
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:04 pm

As long as the thread has been bumped, I have a single System Administrator position open. (see above for more description).

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.