Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The NYC Delicatessen DO 2.5: July 30, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
  • Ben's Kosher Deli (K) (Manhattan)
For purposes of the survey and other planning, folks should know that the Ben's Manhattan location has merged, in a joint venture, with Mr. Broadway, another kosher deli/meat place, and is open under the latter's name now:

https://yeahthatskosher.com/2023/03/...own-manhattan/
https://www.mrbroadwaykosher.com/
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by st1575
For purposes of the survey and other planning, folks should know that the Ben's Manhattan location has merged, in a joint venture, with Mr. Broadway, another kosher deli/meat place, and is open under the latter's name now:

Thanks for the heads-up! I will update the list and the survey, even though we won't be going there

-J.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for the heads-up! I will update the list and the survey, even though we won't be going there

-J.
Ben's 4EVA!

Youll know which survey is mine.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

-J.
Thinking about attending. But why wouldn't we be going there?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Ben's 4EVA!

Youll know which survey is mine.
Looking at the Mr. Broadway menu, calling it a delicatessen is a big stretch. Real delis don't serve tacos or edamame. I honestly wonder how long they will last in this form.

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Thinking about attending. But why wouldn't we be going there?
There are so, so many better places than Ben's or whatever it's called now. The food there is fine. It's the same quality as a kosher delicatessen in Florida or Iowa. The brand of Ben's Deli also rides on the coattails of my favorite delicatessen, Ben's Best, which opened several decades earlier in central Queens. Nobody likes a copycat.

I also get to make the final decision
​​​​​​​
-J.
dhammer53 and iluv2fly like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looking at the Mr. Broadway menu, calling it a delicatessen is a big stretch. Real delis don't serve tacos or edamame. I honestly wonder how long they will last in this form.

There are so, so many better places than Ben's or whatever it's called now. The food there is fine. It's the same quality as a kosher delicatessen in Florida or Iowa. The brand of Ben's Deli also rides on the coattails of my favorite delicatessen, Ben's Best, which opened several decades earlier in central Queens. Nobody likes a copycat.

I also get to make the final decision

-J.
Haha. Yeah I need to check it out in the new form. It's just a good location for my office that I like the most.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Clearly there is interest for an Delicatessen DO 2.5 -- so let's make it official. I will update the OP with an attendee list. Same deal as the last few times -- there will be a survey, and I reserve the right to make the final choice on venue.

ETA: if you are confirmed, please fill out the Deli Survey.

Polytonic, mnmag, and thewayofthefuture: you are tentative so aren't on the final list yet. Let me know when you can confirm.
I'm in for both Saturday and Sunday but as usual will defer to others on venue selection
Old Jun 6, 2023, 5:26 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

🤔
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning

🤔
Good catch Fixed it.

So far I like the responses I am seeing... well, most of them, anyway.

-J.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
This time I voted for:

Sarge's - change of pace vs Katz's and 2nd Ave.
Pastrami Queen - because I read good things about them.

Both are on Manhattan Island. Disclaimer, while I live in Westchester and would like sharing Liebman's with my friends, (it's an old fashioned neighborhood deli), it's a pain to get to using the subway and bus.

dh
Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by st1575

We should check them out before adding them to a future list... just in case it's not up to our standards.

dh
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
If there are still openings I'm in +1 (MrsSG). We have friends using the beach house that weekend so this'll be fun.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
If there are still openings I'm in +1 (MrsSG). We have friends using the beach house that weekend so this'll be fun.
You have both been added.

FYI: the Summer in the City DO 3 taking place the preceding day has been posted in CommunityBuzz.

-J.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Request -J put us down as definite. Air confirmed coming into NYC Thursday late, leaving Monday early.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monitor
Request -J put us down as definite. Air confirmed coming into NYC Thursday late, leaving Monday early.
Done. Always looking forward to seeing you

We are now at 14 people. Once we hit 16, I am going to start a standby list because I want to ensure we can be accommodated (depending on the venue we select). 16 is a large group, but is perhaps more manageable if considered two tables of 8. Once a venue is selected, we may be able to start clearing the standby list. For now, there are two seats left on the main list. Assuming everyone is on time, we should all be accommodated, even if not necessarily sitting together.

-J.
FriendlySkies likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jun 11, 2023 at 8:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.