Wiki Posts
Search

The NYC Delicatessen DO 2.5: July 30, 2023

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The NYC Delicatessen DO 2.5: July 30, 2023

Welcome to the The NYC Delicatessen DO 2.5, this year on Sunday, July 30th. For those new to this, it's pretty simple. We go to a kosher or Jewish-style delicatessen ("kosher-style" is not a real thing -- it's either kosher, or it's not -- and either way is okay) for lunch, and usually get a few drinks after at a local bar. In the past we have been to the world-famous Second Avenue Deli twice, and this past winter we went to Katz's Delicatessen on Houston Street.

Start time: 1100 hours (please arrive 5 minutes early)

After-party: Lucky Lyndon (156 E 33rd St.) at 1300 hours

The location choice is a group effort led by a survey, though as the organizer I reserve the right to make the final decision. The list this year includes:
  • 2nd Ave Deli (K) (Manhattan)
  • Katz's Delicatessen (Manhattan)
  • Mendy's Kosher Delicatessen (K) (Manhattan)
  • Mr. Broadway (formerly Ben's Kosher Deli) (K) (Manhattan)
  • Pastrami Queen (K) (Manhattan)
  • PJ Bernstein Deli (Manhattan)
  • Sarge's Delicatessen (Manhattan)
  • Liebman's Delicatessen (K) (Riverdale, Bronx)
  • Essen NY Deli (K) (Brooklyn)
  • Gottlieb's Restaurant (K) (Brooklyn)
  • Mill Basin Deli (K) (Brooklyn)
(K) = Kosher

Keep in mind that some of these places are cash only; for those that aren't, if we are seated together, we may have to share checks. This is not up for negotiation as large groups such as ours often impose on what are typically smaller businesses. Additionally, please do not bring large luggage with you (anything larger than a standard carry-on) as space is often limited in these establishments. (If anyone needs a place to store luggage, I can help make arrangements in Manhattan or Queens.)

Please let us know if you can attend -- if you are interested, that's great, and we'll add you to the list when you can confirm. Once you are confirmed, please fill out the Deli Survey. We usually meet around 1100 hours or whenever the establishment of our choice opens, so that way people can fly home in the afternoon and don't have to rush. I will also (eventually) announce a Summer In The City DO3 for the 29th, and most likely a Zoom-based happy hour for the Friday evening.

Attendee List
GW McLintock
sportsguymichael
diburning
FriendlySkies
Polytonic
Zorak

monitor + frantic
ShopAround
mnmag
stockmanjr

As always, I look forward to seeing you at the deli

------------------------------------------
OP: I'm still pending a few things, but the Deli DO 2.5 will tentatively be on July 30th in the late morning. Starting this thread now to gauge interest. I hope to have this confirmed by early next week.

There may also be a Summer In The City DO and/or a Drunk DO, not necessarily in that order. So just throw away the entire weekend

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jul 30, 2023 at 8:25 pm
Old May 30, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: United 1K
Katycab and P2 interested. We are always ready to go to NYC.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I'm hungry for deli now and will enjoy watching you decide where to go.

dh
Old May 31, 2023, 7:34 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
On the radar for sure!
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Very interested
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Interested!

For those going to the yet-to-be-announced Summer In The City Do the day before, where is everyone staying?
GW McLintock likes this.

Last edited by diburning; Jun 2, 2023 at 6:23 pm
Old Jun 2, 2023, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Very interested! Fares are reasonable ex-MCI to sEWeR!
Old Jun 2, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Tentatively interested in this!
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
This is great. I will make this official on Sunday or Monday, as I have not been laid off from work (yet). Will post a separate thread for Summer In The City. Just a very busy weekend

-J.
Long Train Runnin likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jun 4, 2023 at 11:07 am
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
I am potentially interested!
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
i'm a maybe on this one, will plan to be there if i find myself in the city that weekend
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Clearly there is interest for an Delicatessen DO 2.5 -- so let's make it official. I will update the OP with an attendee list. Same deal as the last few times -- there will be a survey, and I reserve the right to make the final choice on venue.

ETA: if you are confirmed, please fill out the Deli Survey.

Polytonic, mnmag, and thewayofthefuture: you are tentative so aren't on the final list yet. Let me know when you can confirm.

-J.
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jun 5, 2023 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Clearly there is interest for an Delicatessen DO 2.5 -- so let's make it official. I will update the OP with an attendee list. Same deal as the last few times -- there will be a survey, and I reserve the right to make the final choice on venue.

Polytonic, mnmag, and thewayofthefuture: you are tentative so aren't on the final list yet. Let me know when you can confirm.

-J.
Yes, I can make this. Are you also planning a corresponding event on Saturday the 29th? (for ticket booking purposes, I'd hate to have to call Amex Travel more than once)
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Possible. Had a great time at last summer's Deli DO. Need to coordinate with other East Coast travel around that time.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Yes, I can make this. Are you also planning a corresponding event on Saturday the 29th? (for ticket booking purposes, I'd hate to have to call Amex Travel more than once)
Yeah... I'll get on that later today. Noon-ish start but no need to be on time on Saturday. More info to come. Even if I don't plan something officially, I'm sure at least several of us will get together at some point in the day.

By the way, the survey is now open Sorry about that.

-J.
Polytonic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.