Wiki Posts
Search

Summer in the City DO 3 / OMNI Bugger-I-Am-Drunk DO 37.5: July 29, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Cool Summer in the City DO 3 / OMNI Bugger-I-Am-Drunk DO 37.5: July 29, 2023

Welcome to the third annual Summer in the City DO in New York City, this year taking place on Saturday, July 29, 2023. This is also going to double as the OMNI Bugger-I-Am-Drunk DO 37.5 -- what does this mean? Read on and find out!

In the past, the SITC DO has consisted of a day in a NYC park with tasty cold beverages. In 2021 we went to Planeview Park near LGA, though we didn't see many planes. Last year, we moved to Central Park and enjoyed a beautiful day in Sheep Meadow (though there were no sheep, we saw plenty of dogs). This year, I am proposing a different format that has never been tried before in the history of FlyerTalk: a bar crawl followed by a late lunch/early dinner at a Brazilian or Spanish restaurant (or other; TBD as the date approaches). Note that at least one of the bars we will stop at only accepts cash (which is a good thing since we won't have to worry about split tabs, but is also really cheap so it isn't like you'd get a ton of miles or points anyway). The route is still being finalized, but expect to walk two miles at the most (including to/from transit).

The DO this year will be in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York City, easily accessible by the A/C/E subway lines (8th Avenue) and not far from the Port Authority Bus Terminal and Penn Station. It will primarily be an afternoon affair, so arrive in the morning/midday and drop your bags before getting started. This also leaves time for you to join the virtual DO the night before (thread TBA) and the NYC Delicatessen DO 2.5 the following day. It'll be a full weekend affair!

Please indicate your interest in attending using the wiki above. We'll hammer out more of the details as the date approaches. As always, I'm very much looking forward to seeing some of you later this summer

-J.
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jun 20, 2023 at 7:26 am
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Summer In The City DO 3 Itinerary

I am very excited to share the finalized itinerary for this third Summer In The City DO. We will meet at the first stop at 1500 hours.

STOP #0 (pregame at 1400 - depart 1440) - Pig N' Whistle Public House (58 W 48th St.): my usual daytime bar. Natalia is looking forward to seeing anyone who shows up. The nearest subway station is 47-50th Sts.-Rockefeller Center on the 6th Avenue B/D/F/M lines.

STOP #1 at 1500 - Smith's Bar (701 8th Ave.): as seen in the intro to Night Court, one of the best sitcoms in the history of all things historical. Don't plan to eat too much, though. The nearest subway station is 42nd St.-Port Authority Bus Terminal on the 8th Avenue A/C/E lines.

STOP #2 - Rudy's Bar & Grill (627 9th Ave.): check out their beer list (extensive for a bar of this caliber) and enjoy a free Hebrew National frankfurter (a prelude to Sunday??) with your purchase. Be advised, this bar is cash only.

STOP #3 - Deacon Brodie's Tavern (370 W 46th St.): an old-timey Scottish tavern with an extensive Scotch list and craft cocktails. (NOTE: we may skip this one if running short on time. For future reference, we did!)

STOP #4 - The Gaf West (401 W 48th St.): a classic Irish pub with a welcoming atmosphere and darts. It's known as a regular place for locals in the neighborhood.

DINNER at 1800 - Rice X Beans (688 10th Ave.): one of my favorite restaurants in NYC specializing in Minas Gerais cuisine and incredible caipirinhas made with house-infused cachaças. Our group will be offered a special $50 prix fixe menu which will include a cocktail of your choice, appetizer, and entrée.

STOP #6 - Craft+Carry (751 9th Ave.): it wouldn't be a Summer In The City DO without craft beer, so we can stop here to get our fix (plus whatever you'd like to take home). We have the option to stay here or take the party elsewhere. The nearest subway station is 50th St local station on the 8th Avenue C/E lines.

A Google Map of the full route can be found here. The farthest distance between any two locations is 0.3 miles (from Rice X Beans to the Craft+Carry). If we spend 40 minutes at each bar and leave 5 minutes for walking between places, we should arrive to our dinner reservation on time at 1800 hours.

------------------------------

Space reserved for additional announcements

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jul 30, 2023 at 6:44 am
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I fly in (redeye) the morning of, so I can at least do dinner. Not totally sure about bar crawl or after party just yet.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flying in Saturday morning on my usual 1000~ arrival and departing Sunday around 2200hrs ex-sEWeR.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 3:21 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I will arrive Saturday morning at 10:04AM into JFK. I'll take LIRR into Penn and go from there.
Leaving Sunday at 7:59PM out of EWR

Last edited by diburning; Jun 8, 2023 at 3:41 am
Old Jun 8, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The route is still being finalized, but expect to walk two miles at the most...

We'll Hammer out
2 miles? That's all? Some of the attendees managed 7 - 8 miles on BRT. Gotta work up an appetite.

I corrected the spelling above (bolded).
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:11 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by dhammer53
2 miles? That's all? Some of the attendees managed 7 - 8 miles on BRT. Gotta work up an appetite.

I corrected the spelling above (bolded).
...and you say I am so predictable.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
xoxo's

dh
Old Jun 9, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
close to home

Too close to home to miss this.

I'm usually back in NYC by 630pm Saturdays, so I'll likely be good for dinner - depending on start time.

Then, the after party --- I might have some ideas on that too.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
*if* I have to be in DC for work the week of 24-28 July, I *might* be able to get the choreography sorted out (presuming I can find an affordable Sun morning return flight)

unfortunately, I have just discovered a complicating factor -- my former go-to low-cost lodging option (Soldiers' Sailors' Marines' and Airmen's Club in the Murray Hill neighborhood) is permanently closed
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We are probable for the dinner andl possible for the after party Wiki so noted.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I'm a definite maybe! Will request the weekend off!
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Where's everyone staying? I haven't booked a hotel yet. I haven't looked to see what's convenient yet.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by diburning
Where's everyone staying? I haven't booked a hotel yet. I haven't looked to see what's convenient yet.
This will be in Hell's Kitchen (West 40s), whereas the Deli DO will more than likely be somewhere on the lower east side. Just something to keep in mind.

-J.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by diburning
One of the midtown Hyatt properties for me. Easy trip back to NYP for NJT to sEWeR.
krazykanuck and mnmag like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.