Japan Do 2023 - Tokyo - 6-9 April 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pudgym29
List of Events

Thursday 6 April 7pm - Meet and Greet Drinks - Mikkeller Kanda (see post #67)
Friday 7 April - Walking tour of Ueno Park, Kappabashi shopping street and Asakusa with an optional water bus trip down the Sumida River (see post #76)
Friday 7 April 7-9pm - Official Do Dinner - Kakoiya, 7-9-20 Ginza, Tokyo (see post #73)
Saturday 8 April - Day trip to Okutama (mountainous area of western Tokyo), a short hike along Hatonosu Gorge and a cablecar ride up Mt Mitake (929m) (see post #75)
Sunday 9 April - Explore Shibamata in northeastern Tokyo (see post #106)

Do Dinner Attendees - No further changes please
A table has been booked for the 9 people listed below for the Do Dinner on Friday 7 April. Details in post #73. Late cancellations and no shows will be charged in full.

NewbieRunner
ClaudiSTR
cocobird
chrisflyer66
nomadic.relief
TravelKane
elliott44k
firstglobal
pudgym29

Attendees:

cocobird - Comfort Hotel Kanda (8 days Wed to Thur)
NewbieRunner - Remm Hibiya
beckoa (arrive Fri pm)
beckoa+1 (arrive Fri pm)
nomadic.relief - Comfort Hotel Kanda
TravelKane - Westin
ClaudiSTR - Friday evening to Sunday noon, Courtyard Tokyo Station
ChrisFlyer66 - Hilton Shinjuku Wed-Sat, Comfort Hotel Kanda Sat-Monday
tuchop
BigRedBears - Comfort Hotel Kanda
lowjhg (part of the DO)
Flier John - local
elliott44k (Thurs & Fri evening)
svimonoff - local
firstglobal - Courtyard Ginza
pudgym29 - Shimbashi
bpe - local-ish (Thursday evening)

Print Wikipost

Japan Do 2023 - Tokyo - 6-9 April 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Thanks for all the insights and information on the two hotels.

I made award reservations for the Comfort Hotel Kanda (8,000 comfort points per night, what's not to like), but also kept the Chinzanso reservation (45,000 comfort points per night, yikes!) since I can cancel either one a couple of days in advance. I'd like to know what you think of the Kanda hotel after you stay there a couple of nights (easy to find, safety, clean, reasonably quiet, etc)

While I enjoy nice places, the Chinzanso seems like a place I'd enjoy more if my husband was with me. Since he's not, and I'm basically practical by nature, I suspect that if there's no issues with the Kanda place, I'll probably end up there for my last three nights in Tokyo. Of course, I'm still open to other options or suggestions.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Okay, that was weird, I "liked" NewbieRunner's comment #60, and it shows up as "ARG:4 UNDEFINED" instead of cocobird. Anyway, the video was definitely enlightening. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by cocobird
It shows up as "ARG:4 UNDEFINED"
This is a known technical issue, but others see it correctly.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:14 am

I unfortunately won't be able to make the do.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:34 am

We'll be heading down to Okinawa for spring break, but I'll be back home to Tokyo by Sunday if anyone is interested in grabbing drinks/food in the evening on the 9th at Drunkard in Ebisu.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

I made award reservations for the Comfort Hotel Kanda (8,000 comfort points per night, what's not to like), but also kept the Chinzanso reservation (45,000 comfort points per night, yikes!) since I can cancel either one a couple of days in advance. I'd like to know what you think of the Kanda hotel after you stay there a couple of nights (easy to find, safety, clean, reasonably quiet, etc)

While I enjoy nice places, the Chinzanso seems like a place I'd enjoy more if my husband was with me. Since he's not, and I'm basically practical by nature, I suspect that if there's no issues with the Kanda place, I'll probably end up there for my last three nights in Tokyo. Of course, I'm still open to other options or suggestions.
I’m not familiar with Choice points but the choice between Chinzanso and Comfort Hotel Kanda seems rather extreme. As long as you realise how small some Japanese hotel rooms can be you should be ok. As others have said hotel awards in Tokyo are very difficult to come by. I haven’t even tried to use points since the ones I’ve looked at are better value when paid in cash.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:35 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Meet and Greet Drinks - Thursday 6th April 7pm
Mikkeller Kanda 3rd floor
3-21-2 Uchi-Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
30 seconds from JR/Metro Ginza Line Kanda Station North Exit

Leave JR / Metro Ginza Line Kanda Station via North Exit.
Looking out.

Cross the street running parallel to the railway tracks.
Looking back. The exit is marked Exit for Yasukuni-Dōri Ave.

Turn almost immediately left into an alley before you reach the Family Mart convenience store.

Mikkeller should be a few doors down on the right.

Map on Mikkeller’s website.

There’s a burger shop on the first (ground) floor, bar on the second floor and some tables on the third floor. We will try and meet on the third floor.

Mikkeller Kanda’s website: https://www.mikkellerkanda.jp
Mikkeller Kanda’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mikkeller.kanda/
pudgym29 and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:16 pm

So I have stayed at the Choice Hotel Kanda (several times?) in the past, though not during Japan Do's, this time it seems I have convinced several others to come along. (Though this may be through the ulterior motive of if we get lost at least there are several of us? ) I can tell you this, it is not glamorous, but it is perfectly sufficient and at a great price. Rooms are not huge, I'd be less inclined to stay two in a room, but as a solo traveller who packs reasonably light, I've never had an issue. It's clean, not super old or tired. Breakfasts are decent - definitely don't recall as much selection as they have posted on their website, but even pickier eaters should find something to sustain them (though some of it is a bit Japan-different, the "breakfast sausage" is more akin to bright red cocktail wieners ). Another Asia-centric quirk - they provide pajamas!! (NOT for take home though.) It's super easy to get to the Kanda station from the hotel (5 minute walk at best, as always, this assumes you find the correct exit!), and as an extra bonus it's a 6 minute walk to the Mikkeller Kanda location ... not that beer would ever influence a decision I made. **Okay I was typing this up without even having seen the Thursday meet-up point!

Oh and if anyone is a KitKat fan, we have a new not-in-Japan flavour in Canada I can bring along if I get a head's up early enough.
cocobird and ChrisFlyer66 like this.

Last edited by nomadic.relief; Mar 16, 2023 at 2:21 pm
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
So I have stayed at the Choice Hotel Kanda (several times?) in the past, though not during Japan Do's, this time it seems I have convinced several others to come along. (Though this may be through the ulterior motive of if we get lost at least there are several of us? ) I can tell you this, it is not glamorous, but it is perfectly sufficient and at a great price. Rooms are not huge, I'd be less inclined to stay two in a room, but as a solo traveller who packs reasonably light, I've never had an issue. It's clean, not super old or tired. Breakfasts are decent - definitely don't recall as much selection as they have posted on their website, but even pickier eaters should find something to sustain them (though some of it is a bit Japan-different, the "breakfast sausage" is more akin to bright red cocktail wieners ). Another Asia-centric quirk - they provide pajamas!! (NOT for take home though.) It's super easy to get to the Kanda station from the hotel (5 minute walk at best, as always, this assumes you find the correct exit!), and as an extra bonus it's a 6 minute walk to the Mikkeller Kanda location ... not that beer would ever influence a decision I made. **Okay I was typing this up without even having seen the Thursday meet-up point!

Oh and if anyone is a KitKat fan, we have a new not-in-Japan flavour in Canada I can bring along if I get a head's up early enough.
I appreciate the feedback from someone who has stayed there and found it acceptable. Since I enjoy going to Do's, I completely agree that it's nice to get lost with some of the others attending, especially since I suffer from face blindness, which also leads to getting lost a lot because I often don't see or recognize landmarks either. Unfortunately, the hotel is sold out for several nights before and during the Japan Do, so I wouldn't be able to stay there until after the Do. The only issue for me is that I might have too much luggage. Normally, I just travel with a backpack for a week, but since I'm in Japan for two weeks, I'm also bringing an extra bag this time. I'll figure out how to manage.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:19 pm

I appreciate the feedback from someone who has stayed there and found it acceptable. Since I enjoy going to Do's, I completely agree that it's nice to get lost with some of the others attending, especially since I suffer from face blindness, which also leads to getting lost a lot because I often don't see or recognize landmarks either. Unfortunately, the hotel is sold out for several nights before and during the Japan Do, so I wouldn't be able to stay there until after the Do. The only issue for me is that I might have too much luggage. Normally, I just travel with a backpack for a week, but since I'm in Japan for two weeks, I'm also bringing an extra bag this time. I'll figure out how to manage.
I'd keep checking back regarding the availability, based on comments from the others, availability that wasn't showing has randomly appeared. And for size, I've certainly had smaller rooms, even a single suitcase (not biggest size) and small back pack should be ok. (Plus I believe there are laundry machines to allow for lighter packing, though who wants to do laundry on holidays!)
cocobird likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

What? You have KitKat flavours in Canada which are not available in Japan?
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Maple ketchup!!!
Old Mar 17, 2023, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Do Dinner : 7-9pm, Friday 7 April 2023

No further changes please.

Official Do Dinner this year will be at 7pm, Friday 7th April at Kakoiya (かこいや) in Ginza
Ginza Lion Building 3rd floor, 7-9-20 Ginza, Chuō-ku, Tokyo
東京都中央区銀座7-9-20 銀座ライオンビル 3F
https://gurunavi.com/en/g008282/rst/

Anyone who was at the first Japan Do in 2013 may remember the Do Dinner was at another Kakoiya near Yurakuchō station. It will be a set menu of seafood and beef, inspired by Hokkaidō since the restaurant chain is owned by Sapporo Breweries, with all you can drink for two hours.

Menu
・Oyster with ponzu
・Sashimi (4 types)
・Steamed Furano Wagyu and vegetables
・Matsumae-style salad
・Seafood cooked on ceramic plate
・Crab meat sushi
・Miso soup
・Dessert with Hokkaidō milk

Drinks
・Sapporo red label lager
・Shōchū (potato, barley)
・Sake (Kuzuryu from Fukui Prefecture)
・Lemon sour, with green tea, with Oolong tea
・Umeshu (Plum wine)
・Scotch whisky, whisky and soda (highball)
・House wine (red or white)
・Non-alcoholic beer
・Soft Drinks (Coca Cola, ginger ale, orange juice, Oolong tea, green tea)

In order to avoid processing fees money for the official Do Dinner will be collected in cash on the day. The total price including food and all-you-can-drink alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks for two hours will be 8,800 yen per person.

Please add your handle in the wiki or post in the thread if you are joining the group for the Do Dinner as soon as possible to secure a table. If you book and are unable to come please post in the thread or contact me via PM before 3pm (Japan time) on Thursday 6 April. Late cancellations and no-shows will be charged the full amount.

If you have any food allergy please send a PM to NewbieRunner.

The venue is 3 minutes walk from Metro Ginza Line Ginza Station, 5 minutes walk from JR Yurakucho Station and 5 minutes walk from JR Shimbashi Station.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 5, 2023 at 2:06 am
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:18 am
Original Poster

How to find Kakoiya Ginza. Hopefully these Google Street View screenshots might help.

Ginza Lion Building is on Ginza Dōri, Ginza’s main shopping street. Approaching from Ginza Metro Station or Yūrakuchō Station it’s the brown building on the corner of Ginza 6. The street could be in a big city anywhere in the world. Its neighbours include Dior, Abercrombie & Fitch, Salvatore Ferragamo, Zara, etc.

The entrance to restaurants on upper floors is at the back of the building. Turn left following yellow arrows on the wall.

Turn right and you will find the entrance. Take an elevator to the 3rd floor (3F).

pudgym29, Majuki and ClaudiSTR like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Day trip to Okutama - Saturday 8 April 2023

** Please wear walking shoes as some paths along Hatonosu Gorge may be uneven **

Meet at 8:30am on Tokyo Station platform 1&2
(Exact position on the platform at the end of the post)

We will catch the 8:49am Chuō Line Tokubetsu-Kaisoku (Tokkai, or special rapid train) for Öme. This is a fast commuter train with no reserved seats but getting on the train at Tokyo where it originates should give us a better chance of securing seats.
Arrive Ōme 10:08am, change to Ōme Line train for Okutama at 10:22am. Arrive Hatonosu 10:52am.

Walk along Hatonosu Gorge and have lunch. Please wear walking shoes as paths may be uneven. A chance of cherry blossom viewing (later than in central Tokyo).

Hatonosu Gorge

Catch train at 1:52pm for Mitake. Arrive Mitake 2:04pm. Bus 2:23pm to cable car station. Arrive at 2:33pm
Cable car to Mitake (929m), visit Musashi Mitake Shrine, and a short walk.

Musashi Mitake Shrine

The itinerary (apart from the train getting there in the morning) will be kept flexible. Depending on weather and visibility we might continue to Okutama Lake which is a well-known cherry blossom spot instead of the Mitake cable car. We plan to be back in central Tokyo by 7:15pm.

Okutama Lake in cherry blossom season

Estimated cost: 2,560 yen for trains, plus 1,710 yen for bus and cable car. Suica, Pasmo, etc. may be used.

Meeting place for Saturday morningTokyo Station platforms 1&2 for Chuō Line (code JC) at 8:30am (please be prompt or you’ll be left behind).

About the middle of the platform between the only staffed kiosk and two vending machines opposite with a green pay phone.

beckoa, Majuki, ClaudiSTR and 2 others like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 7, 2023 at 9:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.