Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Summary of Events (provisional)

Thursday 9 April, 7pm ~ Meet and Greet Drinks (TBD)
Friday 10 April, 10am ~ Tour of Nagoya
Friday 10 April, 7pm ~ Official Do Dinner (TBD)
Saturday 11 April, 8:30am ~ Day trip to Ise Shrines (Post 43)
Sunday 12 April, 9:00am ~ Day trip / hiking in Kiso Valley (Post 44)
Print Wikipost

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm moving from confirmed to tentative. I can't keep my existing travel plans as it transits ICN. On the plus side, there has been award space opening on NH from the US to NRT so we'll see.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:46 pm

I am stubbornly clinging to hope that I might yet make it, but it's looking increasingly poor. Got that Vietnamese visa approval letter, but now it looks like visas on arrival are cancelled ... so I am pretty sure that means I can't enter?? As my ticket was JAL, but booked thru Amex, not sure if I could change to just YVR-NRT return? All quite confusing. Looks like I'm not working after for a couple weeks, so could self-quarantine on return if still required in a month's time. I have another 2 weeks or so before I definitively have to pull the plug though.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I've been holding on as much as I could, but with the ever escalating events, I have no choice but to cancel my trip as well. My country is also asking to postpone non-essential travel worldwide. As much as I was looking forward to this trip, it is just not prudent for me to be outside the country right now. I will make an effort to attend the next one for sure.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Looking at the COVID-19 situation as I am on Lockdown in Italy.
IATA says that "Passengers who have been in San Marino or Emilia-Romagna, Lombardy, Marche, Piedmont or Veneto in Italy in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Japan."
I am in Tuscany, but my flight leaves out of Lombardy (LIN>MAD>NRT), in the morning, which will require an overnight there I don't think that looks good for me. ???
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
12 deaths have been reported in Nagoya city only.
121 reported cases in Aichi Prefecture, of which Nagoya city is the capital.

https://www.asahi.com/special/corona/

Last edited by O Sora; Mar 15, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:03 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by O Sora
12 deaths have been reported in Nagoya city only.
121 reported cases in Aichi Prefecture, of which Nagoya city is the capital.
I was curious about these figures and have done some googling.

There are two clusters of Coronavirus cases in and around Nagoya they have identified.

A 60-year-old woman who had returned from Hawaii was found to have contracted Coronavirus on 15 February. Other members of the sports club she belonged to were traced and 39 members and their family were tested positive. However there has been no new case for two weeks among those who came into contact with the woman.

The second cluster was at a welfare facility in southeast of Nagoya where 47 people were tested positive among the clients and those who came into contact with them.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:29 pm

I will unfortunately have to cancel. I'm already in Japan, but my employer has put a stop movement and non-essential travel requirement out for all employees, so traveling from Okinawa to Nagoya is out for me. On top of that I think it is a bit irresponsible to book international travel and potentially spread this further. I doubt in another month unless things drastically change that travel to Japan is even going to be possible, but I may be proven wrong.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
On top of that I think it is a bit irresponsible to book international travel and potentially spread this further. I doubt in another month unless things drastically change that travel to Japan is even going to be possible, but I may be proven wrong.
I'm sorry that I won't get to see you on this trip, but I think that you are absolutely right. We are at a point now where it is up to all of us to help prevent the spread of the disease, even though most of us aren't at particularly high risk ourselves. Any travel puts the greater community at risk. Hopefully we can try rescheduling for the fall, but if not I'll see you next easter!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:02 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes
.... but if not I'll see you next easter!
Not my decision (and I'm not coming this year anyway) but if the event is rescheduled, I would love to visit Nagoya next Easter
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
In light of what is a rather dynamic situation that is evolving day by day, the 8th Japan Do is postponed indefinitely. There is a chance of doing something in autumn and that may be explored once things start to settle down a bid (travel advisory wise) else, we will default to Easter 2021 for the next iteration.

The thread will remain open as a place for anyone still travelling to Japan over Easter 2020 to plan activities, however, we do encourage everyone to follow the travel advisory most applicable to them based on their usual place(s) of residence.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I would be interested in an off-cycle autumn DO, if one ever gets planned. Otherwise, see you next year in Nagoya or elsewhere. Stay safe everyone.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
Sorry to see it cancelled, but I do believe that is the most prudent thing to do.
Hopefully I can see you all the next time around. I'll still be in Nagoya.
In the meantime, everyone stay safe and healthy!
Kento
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:54 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SQ421
...we will default to Easter 2021 for the next iteration.
I hope to be in Nagoya in 2021
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am sorry to hear, that after all the work and planning you have done, that it is not possible to hold the Japan DO #8 . But I don't think there was any choice. The travel situation worsens every day. The day trips from Nagoya sounded very exciting. Hopefully a Nagoya DO will be possible in the future, and we would definitely be interested.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
I just canceled all my flights & hotels.
It only cost $12.50. I can live with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.