Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Summary of Events (provisional)

Thursday 9 April, 7pm ~ Meet and Greet Drinks (TBD)
Friday 10 April, 10am ~ Tour of Nagoya
Friday 10 April, 7pm ~ Official Do Dinner (TBD)
Saturday 11 April, 8:30am ~ Day trip to Ise Shrines (Post 43)
Sunday 12 April, 9:00am ~ Day trip / hiking in Kiso Valley (Post 44)
Print Wikipost

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:48 pm

I finally accepted the futility of this trip for me and cancelled. Shockingly I got thru to someone immediately and it cost nothing to cancel beyond the rather long amount of time it took him to find confirmation of JAL's zero cancellation fee policy.

Next year!!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I finally accepted the futility of this trip for me and cancelled.
Same... I finally managed to get through to ANA to get my refund processed. Only took being awake at 3am to do so when the hold time was only 20 mins...
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by SQ421
In light of what is a rather dynamic situation that is evolving day by day, the 8th Japan Do is postponed indefinitely. There is a chance of doing something in autumn and that may be explored once things start to settle down a bid (travel advisory wise) else, we will default to Easter 2021 for the next iteration.

The thread will remain open as a place for anyone still travelling to Japan over Easter 2020 to plan activities, however, we do encourage everyone to follow the travel advisory most applicable to them based on their usual place(s) of residence.

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I would be interested in an off-cycle autumn DO, if one ever gets planned. Otherwise, see you next year in Nagoya or elsewhere. Stay safe everyone.
Agree, something would be fun in the fall...
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I finally accepted the futility of this trip for me and cancelled. Shockingly I got thru to someone immediately and it cost nothing to cancel beyond the rather long amount of time it took him to find confirmation of JAL's zero cancellation fee policy.

Next year!!
Glad it was easy.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Same... I finally managed to get through to ANA to get my refund processed. Only took being awake at 3am to do so when the hold time was only 20 mins...
Not bad.

I got an email from AS last night informing me of a partner flight that was cancelled. Think it was SQ. And a flurry of schedule changes for my JL/AS itins... will eventually cancel. Sounds like Japan may start a 14 day quarantine soon too... 14 days to quarantine there, 14 at home. And now the State of Alaska has announced its own mandatory quarantine soon: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-12-01-am.html
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:30 am

Went to go cancel a few of my reservations finally... and apparently AS doesn't want me to cancel them

Due to schedule changes I cannot cancel online, and need to give AS a call. Will wait as no rush for me, and AS is experiencing higher call volumes currently. Heads up to others with outstanding AS award reservations- schedule changes are still happening (and I could have made changes/accessed res yesterday). Very dynamic.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
reschedule ?

Sounds well planne. When will a decision be made to re-schedule ?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I'm not the organizers but I would guess the answer is "sometime after the world covid-19 chaos has settled down"
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:14 pm

Looks like we should rename the thread to Nagoya 2020 Do NOT

Hope everyone is well and healthy. See you all in 2021!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Does anyone live in the area? Perhaps it might be fun to post pictures of the places that were on the itinerary? Since most of us are stuck at home, maybe we can get someone to take pictures of the now mostly quiet spots in Nagoya? Just throwing it out there, hope everyone is healthy and staying alive!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:04 pm

Got an email reminder to check in for my flight to SFO today. With the schedule reductions my departure was pushed back a day, with a forced overnight in SFO.

Needless to say, I called to cancel my Z class JL flight this morning And took care of the return as well, plus SFO mid-month.

Interesting to see myaccount go from 700 miles to 150,000

When it was clear this would not happen, I did book a speculative booking to OKA for the late fall.

Until next time!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
wait, where is everyone? I'm at the station....
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
When it was clear this would not happen, I did book a speculative booking to OKA for the late fall.
Do make sure to let me know if you come.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by nme7
Does anyone live in the area? Perhaps it might be fun to post pictures of the places that were on the itinerary? Since most of us are stuck at home, maybe we can get someone to take pictures of the now mostly quiet spots in Nagoya? Just throwing it out there, hope everyone is healthy and staying alive!
right on! Or maybe we all can find some Japanese themed objects at home, post some photos, and “pretend” we are there!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:52 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
right on! Or maybe we all can find some Japanese themed objects at home, post some photos, and “pretend” we are there!

Let’s start the first ever VIRTUAL JAPAN DO!!! We can post pictures of what we might be doing, places we might be visiting, food we might be eating, etc.

I should have been on my way to HND and to NGO as I type this. Even after the Do was officially postponed/cancelled I was still planning to go to Japan to spend a few days at an onsen and to walk the Kumano Kodō pilgrim’s trail (among other things). LH kept on changing my feeder flight to FRA, then NH cancelled my FRA-HND flight but they are still flying the route 4 times a week and I could have changed to a day when they are flying to HND (as long as I could reach FRA). Then the UK government changed their travel advisory meaning my travel insurance wouldn’t cover my trip if I decided to go. Finally at the end of last week Japan imposed very strict entry restrictions prohibiting non-Japanese passport holders/non-residents, etc. from entering the country If they have been in most countries of the world in the past 14 days!

Back to my travel... NH212 LHR-HND is somewhere over Siberia right now so that might have been a possibility if I couldn’t travel via FRA. The route is the first one to be served by NH’s 77W with new Business Class “The Room” though I would have chosen a rear-facing seat with the table next to the aisle.

Nick Art likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
So, where were you planning on dining? I may be able to get pics of those spots... I have pics (somewhere) of Ise Jingu, etc. No indoor shots of the onsens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.