Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monthly DC Happy Hours Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2004, 7:39 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
For those of you who are NW fliers, I talked to thezipper earlier today & we were thinking about doing an iDine Bar Crawl on a Saturday in June - keep checking CommunityBuzz for details - thezipper will post them in a new thread. 5 beers + 1 qualifier = 10K miles - even if you're not a regular NW flier - 60 bucks for the credit card annual fee + 5 beers could equal 20K miles for under 85 bucks!
Count me in! Very fun way to earn 20k miles....
Old May 18, 2004, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Perhaps y'all might consider scheduling this in July, as anyone who doesn't already have the NW Visa will need to apply for it, but not before June 1. They'll need to have the card as a qualifying activity...

Or for folks who already have the card, they might consider getting the business Visa with 10k signup bonus. Don't have a business? How about "[FT Handle] & Associates" a sole proprietorship dedicated to inexpensive first class travel?

Now, those of us who signed up for the NW CC two years ago (25k signup bonus) for FFF2 and for the NW Business CC last year for FFF3 will need a different qualifying activity! Oh, and will need to register a card with NW's iDine program -- I cancelled my card in November in anger when they denied a charge because of a security concern. My argument was they should've called me first. But it turns out they DID leave me a voicemail and I just hadn't noticed.

Lo siento. Sorry to veer this off course. Original point was perhaps at least push this to the end of June so anyone wanting to participate who needs the card can apply in early June. Of course the qualifying activity can come after the partner activities, but it would certainly seem easiest to get the NW Visa and then use THAT Visa linked to iDine...

(And I just can't seem to call it 'Rewards Network' ... dunno .. it'll always be iDine. At least I don't insist on calling them "Transmedia" ... )
Old May 18, 2004, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

July works for me too - as I'm going to be on the 61.00 fare to Iceland on June 26!

GoingAway won't be able to make it on the 26th either - she had listed her "blackout date" as the weekend of July 19 & most saturday's (Friday's are better for her I think).

So, the current blackout dates are (for me & GoingAway):

June 12th weekend (I may be in NY that weekend)
June 26th weekend - Iceland!
July 9-12 (All-Good Festival, West Virgina, if anyone's interested)
July 19 - GoingAway will be gone away
July 4th weekend (just not a good weekend for a bar crawl)

Other than that, I'm open, I think.
Old May 18, 2004, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
Originally Posted by tazi
I'm thinking of doing another dinner at the College Park airport towards the end of June. Tentatively, Friday June 25th. Any interest? Of course, you Virginia folks will need your passport
Is no-one else interested in Friday June 25th?
Old May 19, 2004, 12:44 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by gleff
(And I just can't seem to call it 'Rewards Network' ... dunno .. it'll always be iDine. At least I don't insist on calling them "Transmedia" ... )
But I'll bet I'm the only one who still has a Transmedia Card lying around

Anyway... with ppl out and about on vacations, etc. I'm thinking to move it into the July timeframe. Will start a thread on it tomorrow (wait today!) at work...
Old May 19, 2004, 10:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG, HHonors Silver
Some random notes...

Howdy, everyone! Just a few random notes...

June 25: Should work for me if that's still in discussion, but I'm also open to other dates.

Transmedia: Wow! What a flashback! I had that ages ago and never knew where it went!

G2's cookout: Yes, that'd be great! And certainly chipping in via cash or food item would be a way to help.

Cooking for FTers: Hmmm... okay, so I see myself having to cook for Alysia and MileageAddict. Of course, the REAL gourmet chef around here, from what I hear, is the wife of a moderator on this board who shall remain nameless.

... and on an totally OT note: If any of you local FTers plan on attending the big wine fest on Sat., June 5, please note that I'll be there volunteering with a local winery, pouring samples! PM me if you want info so you can stop by and say hi!

Last edited by Gator Gal; May 19, 2004 at 10:21 am Reason: ETA wine info
Old May 20, 2004, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Hey there,

Just popped in to this forum.

I will be in DC over from Edinburgh, UK July 21st. Any plans around then? Only in town 2 days though.

Rich
Old May 21, 2004, 11:24 am

back in DC again, so gotta socialize

Someone please keep me in the loop for the happy hour schedules.

Thanks
Old May 21, 2004, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
There will be something going on Friday, June 25th for anyone interested - SeeYa is in town and Tazi wants to make an appearance but whether its the airport or something else is still up in the air.

That said, will that be the June happy hour or are we also picking a Thursday earlier in the month?
Old May 21, 2004, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoingAway
There will be something going on Friday, June 25th for anyone interested - SeeYa is in town and Tazi wants to make an appearance but whether its the airport or something else is still up in the air.

That said, will that be the June happy hour or are we also picking a Thursday earlier in the month?
For me personally, June's a busy month. I've got a trip to SAN, LGA, and now KEF planned (all leisure, of course ) - so I'd be down with doing Tazi's thing (if she exists!) on the 25th. Aerotec will be around on 7/21 (presumeably also 7/22),so maybe we could move the Happy hour to later in the month as this June's is later in the month as well. Key Bridge Marriott, Arlington, Free Parking, 7/22?

Aerotec - would that work for you?

Last edited by bhatnasx; May 21, 2004 at 2:00 pm
Old May 21, 2004, 1:16 pm

I hereby second bhatnasx's motion to skip the regular DC happy hour and make tazi's gathering the official gathering for June.

I probably won't make tazi's gathering though as I also have a ticket to Iceland for the 26th and have something else to do early morning on the 26th before leaving that evening.
Old May 21, 2004, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've updated the first page to reflect the thing in Maryland. Like Alysia, I will be heading on out to KEF on the 26th. Except, unlike Alysia, I'll be flying from JFK because I couldn't get tickets to price out from BWI. So I'm actually going to be heading up on Friday night after work most likely & spend the night at my sisters place in Manhattan before flying out on the 26th. Enjoy the dinner. I'll update it if someone posts exactly where it is.
Old May 26, 2004, 10:00 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Since SeeYa won't be getting in until around 8:30pm, having this at the airport would probably be too inconvenient. How about M & S Grille? I think happy hours were held there in the past and it is located near a metro stop. I have to work until 7pm so could probably get there by 8pm.

I do exist!
Old May 28, 2004, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by tazi
Since SeeYa won't be getting in until around 8:30pm, having this at the airport would probably be too inconvenient. How about M & S Grille? I think happy hours were held there in the past and it is located near a metro stop. I have to work until 7pm so could probably get there by 8pm.

I do exist!
I'm driving SeeYa so that'd mean, I'll be there too. Add another one. I think we'll arrive just after 9 or so, depending on the parking situation.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:17 pm

Programs: NW Gold
I'll be in town on the 25th; M&S Grille or the airport sounds good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.