Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Smile Hello everyone

I want to participate in this year's Secret Santa event so I am posting here as recommended. So who the heck am I?

As my screen name indicates, I am a female writer — a retired journalist, former newspaper editor and reporter.

For years I have been lurking around Flyertalk, but not traveling often enough to have much to contribute. I would LOVE to change that, and am currently Delta Silver, hoping to travel more and move upward.

Originally from the Boston area (Boston University grad), I now live in Connecticut, which makes it easy to go to Broadway shows and the MET museum, two of my loves (as well as pizza from Patsy's in East Harlem).

My life is very eclectic. I love everything from French culture to a Fenway frank at a Red Sox game. If you want to sample flights of champagne at a chateau or have a beer at a local pub, count me in.
I am literally counting the days (199 as of today) until my next trip to Paris.

So who should get me as their Secret Santa? Do you love fine crafted, artisanal chocolates? I live near a shop that makes outrageously good ones. But that's just one possibility. I want to get something fun the recipient will love.

When I have a few hours (probably more like weeks), I will read this entire thread to get to know all of you.

Best, Trish
SanDiego1K, SKYEG and samosa like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 2:53 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
It was November 2019 when it all started.....

I have always done some travel every year, a bit for work and a bit for play, but 2019 was the first year I achieved gold status with AA. I realize NOW this is nothing special, but at this point in my traveling life I had never worried/cared/chased/thought about elite status ever before. My flight to TPA in Nov of 2019 got me Gold, and my 500-mile upgrade cleared on my very next flight back to DFW. I liked that a lot.

It was at this time that I coincidentally was getting deep down the credit card points rabbit hole, and i had an Amex that credited back the fee of purchasing 500-mile upgrade stickers. TPA-DFW started me on a journey that i cannot now get off.

It was at this point that i really started to investigate the whole world of points/status, as i learned that i much preferred F to Y......... Being DFW based, i decided that i would become an AA loyalist and just see how this goes.

While researching some specific AA questions i had, i stumbled upon this goldmine of literally everything travel (...FT) and little did i know that was just the beginning. I will admit i was a massive lurker at first, just absorbing all i could in the AAdvantage forums. Just seeing all of the incredibly detailed responses from strangers who were answering other strangers questions was so heartening. I really enjoyed piecing together all of the acronyms and fare bucket lingo, and now i catch myself using it when talking to AA representatives who become a lot easier to deal with when you BOTH know what you're talking about. (ps, with all of the aggregated info here on FT, I'm hard pressed to ever find a reason to ever call an airline ever again...). I was getting to the point that my friends would ask me for AA/credit card points info and i actually had answers for them.

Then COVID

That was tough, as i have family in YVR that i could not visit and vice versa. But, finally, in July of this year, as the world opened a bit, i was able to visit a few times for various reasons.
But my biggest FT success was this past September. I went to Ireland, and was going via a paid, relatively inexpensive J ticket through LHR, and had the choice of booking through AA or BA. Armed with my nearly 2 years of knowledge, I knew to book on BA and credit to AA. But, the real success was learning, through the BA forums, about the "A-up" or Airport Upgrade from J to F. I was excited to try this as i was flying on their new 787-10 that had a first cabin. So, with a keen eye on ExpertFlyer, i know there were a few seats available on F on the day of my flight. I casually asked the check-in agent about the A-Up and was offered it for $279USD. This was my first long-haul F experience, and i owe it purely to FT. FT also helped me set an alert for Award F availability on the way home, and, on the second-last day of the trip, i got the alert and was able to transfer 20k chase points to BA to upgrade. This let me experience the Concord Room in LHR. I realize this is not the ultimate long-haul F experience (and i hope to eventually experience those), but it was my first and i owe it all to FT.

So, now I'm hooked. So hooked, that i never even knew this section of the forum existed, and now feel compelled to share my story.
I even my first ever mileage run this Saturday DFW-LGA-CLT-DFW while the wife is out of town. (she thinks I'm a nutcase with all of this, until the upgrades clear...)

Thank you to all that post/reply, and take satisfaction that you are truly helping more than just the ones asking the questions.
FlyerEC, SKYEG and inkygirl like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:24 pm

I was supposed to visit other places, hopefully by next year we can travel and learn more languages, culture, food, and enjoy a lot of other things. Great to be here!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:39 am

I wanna visit Russia and Eastern Europe next year. Hope the situation there is gonnna get better than now. I head that in Russia there are a lot of restrictions...
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:17 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Why bother with Russia?

Originally Posted by David Kazarean
I wanna visit Russia and Eastern Europe next year. Hope the situation there is gonnna get better than now. I head that in Russia there are a lot of restrictions...
Most of what was Eastern Europe is open to travellers. I would not even think of going to Russia!
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by David Kazarean
David,
For your sake, I really hope they work out a Peace Plan soon. I know so many of us FT’ers really hate to have travel plans interrupted by people getting killed all around the destinations we wish to take selfies of ourselves dining, shopping and sightseeing.
SPN Lifer and ftrichard like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:12 pm

First post

Hello FlyerTalk!

I'm FindingFoodFluency, both by username and by gastronomic desire.

If it's edible, I want to try it, that's all there is to it!

I have a Wordpress blog and YouTube page by the same name, covering culinary wanderings from wherever the dart may land; of course, I welcome feedback, and hyperlocal meal suggestions from everyone.

And yes, I've traveled a bit, too, being particularly fond of places where I can chat with the cook in the native lingo; Mexico, you spoil me so.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to helping out fellow travelers -- and eaters -- where possible.

FindingFoodFluency
Old May 11, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ (*GE), ALL Accor (Diamond)
Intro from NZ!

Hi all, I am a GM from New Zealand and work for a large Automotive Distributor.

I am ex-British Army. Have a beautiful wife. Three dogs.

I love traveling, I am currently ANZ *AGElite, SQ Silver etc., my most commonly flown routes are AKL-MEL (RT), AKL-SYD (RT), AKL-SIN (RT), FRA-AKL(RT), AKL-CHC (RT)

Love watches, hunting, travel tech and luggage!

cheers,
Cam
Mwenenzi and JessicaTam like this.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by airbourne_kiwi
Have a beautiful wife. Three dogs.
I'm glad it's not a beautiful dog and three wives!

Welcome to FT, airbourne_kiwi!
pudgym29 and airbourne_kiwi like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:07 am

HI all,

I'm new to FlyerTalk. I live in Australia with two gorgeous daughters. I'm originally from Canada and much of my travel is back and forth from there. I've been around the world twice and around Asia a few times on work. I"m a bit more settled now. But hoping to travel more now after the pandemic. My job doesn't give me much opportunity to fly, but I might change that soon and look for a new job.

I've got travel and living around the world as my grandparents and parents travelled and lived all over the world.

Looking forward to talking to more of you!!

Jireh
pudgym29 and joecool1885 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: Air Canada 35k
Greetings from children's book writer & illustrator in Toronto

Hello all! I'm new to Flyertalk, mainly reading posts (LEARNING SO MUCH!) and learning more about the site, where to post and not to post, etc.. I write and illustrate books for young people for a living (mainly work with Simon & Schuster but have also worked with Random House and Harpercollins, among others). Before the pandemic, I did a fair amount of flying for work, including some book tours in which I'd have to fly to a new airport every day. I know some of you out there are used to this, but I always found this super stressful. I have only recently realized that I would be less stressed if I take the time to find out more about the various airlines and airports I use, make the effort to find out more about the programs I'm in (I only JUST used my first eUpgrade credits in Aeroplan...I have a bunch accumulated which I've ignored). I know there are many aspects of flying/travel that are out of our control -- and I've had soooo many happen to me over the years -- but there are also so many that I *can* control. My husband and I are also starting to do more leisure travel, and I'm doing more research about how to take more advantage of Aeroplan and other programs I'm in.

Workstuff: My illustrations appear in books by Judy Blume, Michael Ian Black, Linda Sue Park, Aaron Reynolds and others. If you have a copy of the re-issued chapter and middle grade Judy Blume books from Atheneum/Simon & Schuster like "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret", you'll see my cover illustration credit inside (I did not help with the YA books with photographic covers). I also have written and illustrated picture books for S&S and am working on my next. Also working on a middle grade novel and a graphic novel. My FIRST career was a systems programmer/analyst where I programmed in COBOL (yes, I am a dinosaur) for the Toronto Dominion's head office.

Hobbystuff: I am an avid board gamer, and my husband and I hope to someday visit the big trade show in Essen. You can find some of my board gaming comics on the BoardGameGeek website. I am a hobby songwriter and musician - my songs have aired on CBC radio via my music group. I play, with varying degrees of competence: keyboard/piano, flute, Celtic harp, tin whistle, guitar, assorted bangy percussion things. I enjoy creating comics (and someday hope to create a comic or two for the Flyertalk community for the fun of it - though I'm not sure if there is an appropriate forum?) and have had several webcomics in the past including Will Write For Chocolate, My Life In A Nutshell (covers period where I sold my website), Waiting For Frodo (about a fan waiting in line for the Lord Of The Rings movies - some people at Weta Digital were fans!). I am a big fan of virtual reality art since my husband gave me an Oculus Quest headset early in the pandemic, and have been learning how to create stuff that way as well.

You can find more about me at DebbieOhi.com, on Twitter at @inkyelbows and on Instagram at @inkygirl. Looking forward to getting to know others in the Flyertalk community!

Debbie

Last edited by inkygirl; Sep 25, 2022 at 7:56 am
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, SPG, ClubPremier
Hi!

I'm not a new member but this year I've been a bit more active posting and especially reading.

I'm from Peru living for a while in Canada. I don't have family here so apart from tourism, I travel to visit family and friends every year. I go often to California, within Canada, Peru, Spain and Israel.
I have visited many countries, my last one is Panama, more than the average people but for sure a lot less than people in this forum.

I'm Industrial Engineer who works in the Insurance industry. I am lucky as well to speak 4 languages.

Cheers.
pudgym29 and samosa like this.

Last edited by lastcallfordeparture; Nov 13, 2022 at 10:49 pm Reason: Add more info
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: EK, TK
Hi!

For a long time i was a silent reader here, but i choose to register on flyertalk today because there are some experience in myself that I can share here.

Actually I'm from Indonesia, but now I live in Switzerland for study.

Love travelling (Not only by plane, but also by cars and trains)

Cheers
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: Velocity
Howdy!

Hey!

I've been lurking here since 2018, but like many working in healthcare COVID scuppered many a travel plan.

I'm based in Perth, Western Australia, and my main travel destination is East Coast USA to see my family.

In 2023 I have two domestic and one international trip booked so far, but am doing deep dive research into maximising frequent flyer miles to do more, particularly Krisflyer and Velocity.

I love museums, history, and culture when I travel, and I'm currently looking into Milan flights.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by Jess Schwendinger
Hey!

I've been lurking here since 2018, but like many working in healthcare COVID scuppered many a travel plan.

I'm based in Perth, Western Australia, and my main travel destination is East Coast USA to see my family.

In 2023 I have two domestic and one international trip booked so far, but am doing deep dive research into maximising frequent flyer miles to do more, particularly Krisflyer and Velocity.

I love museums, history, and culture when I travel, and I'm currently looking into Milan flights.
Greetings Sandgroper and welcome from a Croweater! (Although living in Vic)
Jess Schwendinger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.