Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: LH FTL
Hi from Dusseldorf

Hi Guys

I am joining this forum from Germany.
Being relatively new to "frequent travelling" I needed to intensify my research about airlines status programs etc. when my job required me recently to travel much more often.
So I started with research on mostly German sites but in many cases I landed here for the original thread about many interesting fares.

I also found that you guys are much more helpful and friendly especially to newbies.^

Some info about myself

home airport: DUS (sometimes flying from HAJ or FRA)
flights: eco only
destinations: mainly intra-European, 1 x per year ASP, 1 x USA
FFP: Airberlin Topbonus / Tier: Gold (hope to get Platinum until end of 2016)

Looking forward to exchanging with all of you

Cheers
FlyDUS
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I live in Florida (hah, bet you thought I was in Texas) and have a job that frequently takes me to WA, TX and VA; less frequently to other destinations.

I'm originally from Norway, but have lived on and off in the US for 15 years (California, Texas and Florida) and have more or less settled down in southeast Florida. But of course, I do like to go visit family in Norway from time to time, so that's the vast majority of my international travel at the moment.

In college, I drove 18-wheelers over the summers. Perhaps an unusual occupation for a computer science student, but it helped pay the bills, and as a bonus, I got paid to see the country. I might also add that while an 18-wheeler may be slower than a Boeing, I got a first-class seat every time. And you can't beat the view.

At any rate, I was a Norwegian enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin; hence my CB handle "Texas Viking", which is where I got my nickname from.

I've probably missed out on a few free flights and perks over the years by not being adept enough at working frequent flyer programs, credit card bonuses and such to their max advantage. There's a limit to how much effort I'll put into it -- you won't find me doing "mileage runs" because I actually find air travel a bit unpleasant/inconvenient. However, FlyerTalk has been helpful in trying to figure out the best way to maximize my benefits from the flights I have to take anyway.

(The reason I find air travel unpleasant: Lines, security theater, cramped seats and going stir-crazy being confined in a plane for hours on end. I actually tend to schedule layovers so that I won't be on a plane more than 4 hours if possible, just to get a break from those cramped seats -- and perhaps a good non-airplane meal.)
Old May 9, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: China Southern SP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Phoenix Miles Platinum
Hi everyone. I'm Harris and am glad to have come across flyertalk. I spend most of my time in Shanghai but travel to Canada frequently and spend some of my summer and winter there. English is not my first language.

I also travel often within China and try to fly China Southern whenever I can and also fly Air China quite a bit as well. If you ever have questions about Shanghai or the nearby cities feel free to ask.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: DL Pl (2 m miler) AA, UA, Marriott Pl Life, Hilton Diamond Life, SPG Gold Life, IHG Spire Ambassador
Off topic but going to HCMC in september

Originally Posted by raquelle
After a decade of lurking, I'm out of the Flyertalk closet. I specialize in Vietnamese contemporary fine art, so for the last 20 years am a very frequent flyer between Asia, Europe and New York, averaging about 40 flights annually. Couldn't do it w/o biz tix! Fortunately my kids have settled along the flight plans, so we meet up reasonably often.
I've become quite expert at using points, Avios, etc to maximum benefit and still enjoy the flying. Scariest flights were vertical descent on Garuda Air to Surabaya (after a full lunch) and early Vietnam Air flights on Tupolevs, when braking required the pilot to open full throttle and the air vents spewed clouds of moisture into the cabin. Best flight memory is hitching a ride in the cockpit from Paris to Tunisia, back in the days when security was non-existent and I wore miniskirts.
I'm a big fan of BA - flights and lounges. Switched from Singapore Air to Thai and am now exploring other options. The personal space on Qatar Air is astounding.
Looking forward to meet Flyertalkers at the upcoming Wine Dinner in June!
To Hanoi in January, where best to see Vietnamese contemporary art?
Old May 22, 2016, 3:02 am

Hello

Hello together,
My name is Peter, i am 28 Years old from Berlin Germany and came accros the flyertalk website due to my travel ambitions.
I am a florida tourist since i was born and i was able to fascinate my wife for the beauty of it as well.
I am a Airberlin Gold, soon to be Platinum Member and enjoy traveling in all its ascpects.

I was hoping to find someone from the us in this forum who would like to bring some small groceries in exchange for a Ride from TXL, SXF or BER
Im just talking of suncreen, chips or snacks which i cant get here, neither in import shops or with international shipping, and i was not going to pay 60$ for a forwarding service. Maybe someone has space left in their luggage and therefore would enjoy a ride to the hotel or else. I speak english and got a nice new grand cherokee, unlike the taxi drivers do
Old May 22, 2016, 5:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PeterHerz
I was hoping to find someone from the us in this forum who would like to bring some small groceries in exchange for a Ride from TXL, SXF or BER
Welcome to FlyerTalk, PeterHerz! Your passenger may have to wait a long time for a ride from BER.

There is a gathering or 'Do' of FlyerTalkers in Berlin later this year. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...er-2016-a.html
I know a number of FTers are coming from the US if you don't find anyone to bring your groceries earlier. You may like to attend the Do to meet other FTers in any case with or without groceries.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:42 am

Thanks for the welcome, i will take a look
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HiltonHonours
Hello everyone,

My name is Stephen, I am a 32 year old IT Project Manager in Professional Services based out of Toronto for a FinTech company HQ'd in Philadelphia. I'm a somewhat frequent traveller (~30-50% depending on projects) and tend to travel between 3-5 days when needed.

I do have a Nexus card, which as greatly sped up any travel in North America and absolutely love the thing. My home airport is yyz or I suppose Billy Bishop if it would be a convenient hop. I tend to typically travel within the US and Canada, but may need to take the occasional trip to Bangalore.

In terms of programs I'm Diamond with HH and 35K for Aeroplan. Regarding luggage, I have a Crew 9 20' expandable Travelpro that has held up great for a few years.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Southwest Rewards, La Quinta Returns
Hello everyone,

I'm Paul. I'm an IT Generalist out of Durham, NC. I work for a Timeshare company, but since my end is the technology I know little about it. My wife's family is in Colorado and sometimes I have to go on site. That and wanting to get out of town to see more U.S. Soccer means I'm interested in finding good deals online.

RDU is my home airport, and I'm really only subscribed to La Quinta and Southwest rewards programs because they were the most conducive with my last job. Trying to get better at finding deals.

As to my username.....it's odd. It just came to me out of nowhere. I paused and thought "That's silly. Why would I do that?" But then I thought "Why not do that?" The Big Ol' part I come by honestly. I'm 6'8". So spare me any legroom complaints you might have :-)

Seriously though....happy to be here, and looking forward to using FlyerTalk.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by BigOlTater
Hello everyone,

I'm Paul. I'm an IT Generalist out of Durham, NC. I work for a Timeshare company, but since my end is the technology I know little about it. My wife's family is in Colorado and sometimes I have to go on site. That and wanting to get out of town to see more U.S. Soccer means I'm interested in finding good deals online.

RDU is my home airport, and I'm really only subscribed to La Quinta and Southwest rewards programs because they were the most conducive with my last job. Trying to get better at finding deals.

As to my username.....it's odd. It just came to me out of nowhere. I paused and thought "That's silly. Why would I do that?" But then I thought "Why not do that?" The Big Ol' part I come by honestly. I'm 6'8". So spare me any legroom complaints you might have :-)

Welcome. Here you can learn about things like the Southwest Companion Pass and maybe about some other airline programs.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, KrisFlyer, FlyingBlue
Greetings to you all...
Sorry for my bad English...

You can just call me with my user ID "anak negeri"...

I'm from Jakarta, Indonesia... nearest airport from my home is Halim Perdanakusuma (HLP) but the nearest international airport is Soekarno-Hatta Airport (CGK), also Indonesia's largest airport which is planning to open its new terminal (Terminal 3 Ultimate) in July...

I'm an owner of small travel & ticket agency, selling flight tickets (almost all airlines) and Indonesian local rail tickets...

since I started my business, my interest to aviation world has been increasing... I hope I can learn more in this forum...

Thanks...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum
Morning , Sydney Australia here .
I did first post yesterday since joining Dec 18, 05. Took me a while to chat, now that is a first.
I joined as in 2006 I was having my one and only trip overseas and it was to Europe. Amazing trip and quite a few trips later I am Platinum with One World. Did a bucket list trip last year as 1st class return to London with Qantas. Normally tend to travel business or economy. Retired last year and have done a few impromptu trips OS.
Have over the last decade obtained some excellent advice and giggles on here
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: American Air
Originally Posted by BigOlTater
Hello everyone,

Hi BigOlTater,
Welcome to this exchange board. Many experienced flyers and airline staff here. RDU is my home airport. Nice place but very limited flight offerings as you probably know. Have you considered a drive to CLT? A better choice of flights/destinations though the fares are high. We would rather drive 3 hours to CLT for a non-stop than spend 3 hours between flights making a connections in a crazy airport, with all the inherent risks.
Raleighrdu

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 13, 2016 at 11:30 pm Reason: Merged quote and reply in consecutive posts
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Hi everyone,

since I have been here a while (joined in 2011 for some questions about a flyBA and Air New Zealand flight), I might introduce myself.

My name is Jens, I was born in Germany in 1978 and I work in IT as an programmer and solution architect at an insurance company since 1999. I started my career with a apprenticeship as mathematical-technical assistant (including fun things like "3 weeks math - 6 hours a day"). After that, I got a bachelor degree while working full time and now I have been working in the field of Content Delivery Systems / Output Management for 8 years.

My girlfriend and I like to travel, mostly by plane or train and the technical and logistic of both ways of travelling is what interests us. Also, the brilliant trip reports here are giving us ideas for our future travels.
In October we will visit South Korea for about 3 weeks and next year our current idea includes Bhutan and / or Thailand and / or Nepal.

Home airport is CGN and DUS.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Evening everyone

Like Askartus I have some spent some time looking through the informative posts in this great forum.

I'm Alan, 45, from Leigh on Sea in Essex. I have worked in exports for 28 years and am currently employed by an international bank in London.

I have been married for 13 years and we have 2 wonderful children.

I have been fortunate enough to have flown over 200,000 miles, with extensive travel to Southern Africa, Europe and the USA mainly by economy but ever increasingly through business class.

I look forward to learning more through this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.