Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who we all are

Who we all are

Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA MP / *A Silver
Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:10 pm

Hi I'm a 35 year old busy stay at home mom of 3.... When I quit my job to stay home w/ my kids, I didn't want to give up travelling... So that led me to flyertalk. This is my first post because I'm scared of you people..LOL. I've been collecting points for several years now. We don't travel a lot, but when I can fly five people for free and stay free I'm a happy girl. Some favorite trips: Key West for a family wedding, taking my daughter to NYC for the first time, visiting Chicago w/ the family and going to FL several times..... Hoping to get to a few new places as a family esp. the Caribbean somewhere, Italy & the Olympics in Rio!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:14 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbhuh
Hoping to get to a few new places as a family esp. the Caribbean somewhere, Italy & the Olympics in Rio!
welcome ! that last trip will be tough to do on points/miles!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:30 pm

I would be willing to shell out some cash for the Olympics!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: M&M FTL FB Petroleum / LH Oil & Energy
Welcome to the most addictive hobby in the world DAV
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
+1 welcome.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Newbie
Newbie here

I am so glad i found this site!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: M&M FTL FB Petroleum / LH Oil & Energy
age 26 born in geneva switzerland holding a polish passport speak 5 languages fluently (french, polish, hebrew, english and spanish)

I work as a commodities analysi for an israeli investment bank in London
studies: I started in UPC (Lima Peru) then applied math at Weizmann Institute (Tel Aviv Israel) and Insead France
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Older-than-you-think professional who earned lots of BIS miles then discovered the tricks of this trade. Used the knowledge I've gotten so far to take my family to lots of exciting places around the world. Never made it past the mountains until I was over 28, my kids are spoiled.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I've been a lurker on this very informative site for a while now and thought it was time I introduced myself. I live near Brisbane, Australia, and am now retired with a part-time job, so I can take the advantage of short trips now and then as opportunity and cost arise.

When I worked full-time, there were years when I hardly seemed to be off a plane or at home. Alas my trips were all domestic and it was mostly before the days of FF points and status credits (we could only fly QF and its domestic predecessor TAA/Australian Airlines). I am now Qantas Club FF Silver and heading to retain that status for another year but all my travel is at my own expense these days. I can't see myself ever reaching Gold (although you never know) or the even loftier heights of Platinum.

I don't wish to sound rude and feel free to slap me down if you think the question inappropriate but I notice many posters have Platinum this or Gold that as well as high status at various hotel chains. May I ask if you are all business people, rich or just savvy and simply know how to use the various FF systems to your advantage?

For myself, I have certainly increased FF points (and status credits) by flying eg BNE to CBR via SYD rather than a non-stop flight. I choose the cheaper QF fares when offered and there is usually not much difference in the cost. Is this how many of you experts are operating?

I have more than enough FF points for a oneWorld 35,000 mile trip in business class which I hope to use next year - the limitations are that you have a maximum of 5 stopovers but not twice in the same city, fly QF and at least 2 other oneWorld carriers and the journey can't be longer than 35k miles - which does give a lot of leeway.

Last time I did this I flew (thanks to the vagaries of the system) CBR-BNE-CNS-NRT (QF) (overnight in NRT but less than 24 hours so not a stopover), NRT-LHR (BA), LHR-ORD (BA); ORD-CDG (AA); bought a cheap ticket on BA from CDG to LHR, cheap ticket EDI-LHR (from BA), LHR-DUB, DUB-EDI (EI - these were bought direct from EI but I got full points and status credits with QF on the LHR-DUB leg as it was a QF codeshare. The BA points were pathetic.

I travelled by Eurostar to Brussels, then flew Brussels Airlines to Berlin, train to Amsterdam, then home AMS-LHR-SIN (BA); SIN-PER (QF) (overnight in Perth but again less than 24 hours), PER-SYD-CBR (QF). Great fun!

I've also discovered the advantages with QF of their points plus pay system and am travelling to Auckland soon for a relatively small price plus points. However it's my understanding that because I am "buying" a ticket, I get the normal points plus status credits, whereas had I just used FF points then, of course, I would simply be burning up points. This way at least I get some points back plus the even more important status credits.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough - it's a great website and I'm going to see if I can take advantage of any other tips garnered from the regulars here. Thanks for reading.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:53 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmam7
I don't wish to sound rude and feel free to slap me down if you think the question inappropriate but I notice many posters have Platinum this or Gold that as well as high status at various hotel chains. May I ask if you are all business people, rich or just savvy and simply know how to use the various FF systems to your advantage?
many business people but many knowing how to maximize various programs.

Read the stickies of forums (most airline & hotel forums have stickies). Also serach for the threads such as Hyatt vrs Marriott, or Hilton compared to SPG. These I've found are handy for heavy users of each program to debate which program is the best and why.

The most important things you can understand (in my opinion) if travel is on your personal dime are twofold: 1) what are your personal goal(s)? (do you want to fly in buisness or first class internationally or are you just trying to get some tickets for you & family to get to Hawaii? 2) What is the ROI of your personal spend, in other words, if I fly X amount on this airline, what is it going to give me in return.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Gold
Hi. My husband and I have enjoyed mostly lurking on FlyerTalk for several years now and have learned lots from all of you. It is time to introduce ourselves.

Mr. Kaija is newly retired from his county attorney (some states call them district attorneys) position and now sits as a magistrate judge a couple of days a month....just enough to keep his hand in it a bit and yet leaving lots of time for leisure. He attended college in France, so is fluent in French, and is conversant in Spanish and we start every international trip with a few days in Paris. He would travel every week, given the chance.

I am retired from hospital patient care administration. I am the one who plans and arranges the details of our trips.

We try to travel internationally once or twice a year, and we are working our way through the fifty states for the second time as there is so much to experience in this country. We make a point of maintaining our Hilton diamond status-we have made many friends in the lounges over the years. We save up our ff miles to fly first class on international flights.

We are looking forward to participating in the Secret Santa this year.

Last edited by kaija; Nov 16, 2012 at 8:39 am Reason: it got sent before I finished.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
I do have some peeves about FT itself (is there a thread for this?):

People bragging about their elite status and whining that their status doesnt get them as much preferential treatment as they would like. And referring to economy class as steerage.

Happy flying, everyone!
+1^
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by kaija
Hi. My husband and I have enjoyed mostly lurking on FlyerTalk for several years now and have learned lots from all of you. It is time to introduce ourselves.

Mr. Kaija is newly retired from his county attorney (some states call them district attorneys) position and now sits as a magistrate judge a couple of days a month....just enough to keep his hand in it a bit and yet leaving lots of time for leisure. He attended college in France, so is fluent in French, and is conversant in Spanish and we start every international trip with a few days in Paris. He would travel every week, given the chance.

I am retired from hospital patient care administration. I am the one who plans and arranges the details of our trips.

We try to travel internationally once or twice a year, and we are working our way through the fifty states for the second time as there is so much to experience in this country. We make a point of maintaining our Hilton diamond status-we have made many friends in the lounges over the years. We save up our ff miles to fly first class on international flights.

We are looking forward to participating in the Secret Santa this year.
It is nice to have another set of Valley residents on here, especially ones that may have connection to help me if I get into a legal bind with the MCSO. Welcome formally to FT and safe travels.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Gary ... formerly in ORD and PDX, now primarily based in YUL ... United Premier Executive and American Gold, 2004-2009 ... getting back into the frequent flier status world as my startup gets traction and puts me back in the air!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.