Secret Santa 2018 Official Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secret Santa 2018 Official Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Got another package from AtomicLush - teas (enjoying one as I finished up work for the year, and some face wash and scrubs. Yay!

Thank you!
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by ohlradio

Secret Santa gift received with a few individually wrapped odds and ends.

Thanks Santa.
Wow. Just wow.
So you tossed out one gift and describe the other as "odds and ends" - what were you expecting from this event?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ohlradio
Well, I had a "unique" and disappointing experience with one of my Secret Santa gifts. I'm sure it was strictly an oversight by the gift sender, but something to keep in mind for future reference.
The gift was a bonsai tree. My hints did not indicate anything near that and I'm not a plant person at all (Secret Santa wouldn't know that part). Problem is - I live in a US/Canada border town, and I provide both addresses to make it easier for my Secret Santa(s). The item was shipped to my US address, but you can't easily bring plants across the border. So I was forced to dispose of the plant immediately after opening the box.

Oh well...
I received a Bonsai tree last year from a secret Santa and while I am not a big plant person and I live in a condo, it was a great gift, very easy to take care if you follow the instructions that were included.

Did you try to take it across the border? If you declare it worst case scenario is the agent says no and disposes it.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I received a Bonsai tree last year from a secret Santa and while I am not a big plant person and I live in a condo, it was a great gift, very easy to take care if you follow the instructions that were included.

Did you try to take it across the border? If you declare it worst case scenario is the agent says no and disposes it.
This. They might have allowed it.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you to my Secret Santa #1 .

They had to have done some post stalking to know that I've been wanting the Planter's Cheese Balls, and not able to find any. They sent two, but one was consumed prior to taking the photo... and there was no space on the stool. That's my excuse.

A baseball hat from a local golf course, ball marker, and a matching sharpie, a micro USB cable (which for having a thousand of them it seems, I never have one on the road) and a cable organiser. The cable organiser is something I badly needed. My backpack always seems to have cords flying out everywhere, and I can never seem to find what I need.
Redhead and bergamini like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Can we vote on banning the bonsai tree tosser from next years Secret Santa?

I loved my Tree. If you want something specific buy it yourself, don't expect a secret Santa to do the shopping for you.

I actually prefer when someone sends me something they'd enjoy and open my horizons to something new.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you Secret Santa #2 !

The Golfer thanks you as well, I can't drink caffeinated beverages so he'll get to enjoy the coffees. The box certainly had some heft to it, and will be repurposed for something else in the future. Not pictured, a jar of strawberry jam. (Only because I forgot to put it on the stool to take a photo of it.) We'll be having the pancakes on Christmas morning. The syrup and jam will be great in oatmeal over the next few weeks!

Thank you to both of my Santa's the gifts were wonderful and I'm looking forward to enjoying (or continue enjoying) them!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Wow. Just wow.
So you tossed out one gift and describe the other as "odds and ends" - what were you expecting from this event?
My apologies if the "odds and ends" remark offended you or anyone else, not meant as that at all. I didn't think it was necessary to describe every item as the picture pretty much told the story of exactly what the items are, I even pointed out they were individually wrapped - acknowledging the effort/care the gift-sender put in.
If I was upset about them I wouldn't have posted at all. I actually made a point of posting as soon as I could (at 1:24am after travelling cross-country and picking up at my mailbox at around 12:40am and then going across the US/Canada border) as I know gift-senders often keep an eye on the forum to see that it was received. I've been in the Secret Santa now for roughly 5 years..not my first rodeo ;-).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Southwest, Delta, Hyatt & IHG
Good evening,
A special shout out to my Secret Santas. Thank you JAB. I am not sure who the other person was.

JAB-Received your gifts. They are still wrapped under the tree. They will be opened on Christmas Eve.

2nd Secret Santa-I have received the package of what I believe to be travel books and a gift for my daughter. All the gifts are still wrapped and under the tree. They will be opened on Christmas Eve.

I will report back on the items received after Christmas. Many Thanks.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Sandra
(sandratravels)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Can we vote on banning the bonsai tree tosser from next years Secret Santa?

I loved my Tree. If you want something specific buy it yourself, don't expect a secret Santa to do the shopping for you.

I actually prefer when someone sends me something they'd enjoy and open my horizons to something new.
Whoa! I didn't have an issue with the gift itself, just pointing out the issue of international movement of an item like that. There are numerous cross-border restrictions to plants, trees, fruit, meat, etc. I did some research on the company website and they don't ship internationally. It was 12:30am when I picked up the package with no idea what was going to be in it. I tried to do some research on my phone but couldn't find any specific information, so now my options were quite limited. If the UPS Store where the mailbox is was open, I likely would have forwarded it to a friend or called up the address to one of my Secret Santa recipients from this year and at least forwarded it onto them.

Somebody asked about taking it to the border and declaring it and seeing what would happen, ie. worst case they take it away from me then. That did cross my mind (trust me, various options were going through my head at that time). I cross all the time for work and personal and didn't want to risk any potential 'red flags' or slowdowns if I was considered to have been trying to import an item I wasn't supposed to. Once again, if it was daytime, I would have likely made a phone call to get more information - but at 12:30am my options were indeed limited.

I believe this is Year 5 I've been in the Secret Santa here (it may be more). If my message offended, I apologize. It was strictly meant to inform for future reference. This will likely "give me away" to one of my gift recipients this year, but one of mine specifically said they liked succulents, so they received them. They were being drop-shipped within the United States to someone nowhere near a border, so I knew it was all good.

Last edited by ohlradio; Dec 21, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Merry Christmas everyone,

My last Secret Santa package was hand delivered by me today, but unfortunately no one was home. I managed to hide the gift bag by the front door and hopefully a porch thief won't get it first!
ohlradio likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
@Redhead, thank you SO much for my SS gift. You had me nailed. All things Cookie Monster (who happens to be my longest term boyfriend)!

Thanks so much

And USPS website says my SS should have received their package today. Can't wait
Redhead likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by navi_jen
@Redhead, thank you SO much for my SS gift. You had me nailed. All things Cookie Monster (who happens to be my longest term boyfriend)!

Thanks so much

And USPS website says my SS should have received their package today. Can't wait
Glad you like it. I was singing C is for Cookie the whole time I was buying them.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by Redhead
Glad you like it. I was singing C is for Cookie the whole time I was buying them.
For those of you heathens that don't appreciate this classic tune...

I was laughing the whole time I was putting it together It's so cute and SO me (I only wish my CM slippers hadn't self destructed a decade ago). And thanks for being patient. With my Dad in the hospital, a SE Asia/TPA/ATL trip, an internal job change and a young puppy at home, today was my first day in the office in at least 3 months.

Ho ho ho!
Redhead likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
My mother just informed me that two packages arrived for me at their house. I won't see them until December 30, so I'll open them then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.