Wiki Posts
Search

FT wine tasting get together in 2001

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2000, 1:32 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
Yes to OZ in Aug/Sept.
Never been. Want to try Barossa Valley and then Port Douglas for scuba at GBR.
Maybe to Europe in October/November.
Lyon and/or Beaune would be preferable to Provence. Love that Burgundy wine. Love that Lyonnaise cuisine.
However...like others I cannot say what my work situation will be at either time so I can only say I am interested in those dates/locations and I hope to be at both!
Old Nov 15, 2000, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
RK7's post probably highlights a problem/reality many of you will have. There are LOTS of things you might want to do and see if you come all the way to OZ. I stepped off a 14 direct hour flight from SFO a few hours ago, and do all that flying and you WANT to see a few things after it all!

I really feel many non Australians do not realise this continent is as large as the 48 states. To come into Sydney, fly to Barossa(Adelaide) then go to Cairns is like me arriving into LAX, then flying to New Orleans, then to Boston, then back to LAX. Bottom line, it will cost you a FORTUNE in tickets or points most likely to do what you want to do.

As it happens I have discovered a bizarre Qantas award that I can redeem 100s of as I have nearly a million useless Qantas points, but probably most of you cannot. This is where FlyerTalk "gifting" potentially comes into play. See full details here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/002911.html

For anyone who wants to basically fly around this country, when and wherever you like, all in Business Class, perhaps talk to me when your plans are set.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 16, 2000, 6:29 am
geo1004

While not in Biz Class on QF , I was able to purchase 3 one way flights (SYD-MEL, MEL-CNS, CNS-SYD) during my visit to Oz. QF has the "Boomerang Pass" as they call it, and Air NZ has a similar option as well. These are available in conjunction with QF intl. flights to/from Oz (even award travel) and must be purchased prior to arrival. I think the 3 one way flights cost me a total of US$375 - $400. Just FYI.

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 11-16-2000).]

Old Nov 16, 2000, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Geo1004 ..... in the thread Iposted just above, Terenz mentions that these passes are not nearly the value NOW as they once were. For $US400 what you got was a good deal. I suspect however if someone spoke to me they could do it up front of the plane, and do three times as many flights if needed, and be even happier with the deal!

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 11-16-2000).]
Old Nov 17, 2000, 12:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've found the better value is cashing in UA miles for Ansett flights. 15-20K can get you a roundtrip (depends on destinations), and you can do open jaws. You can't even do that in the U.S. You can do something like Sydney- Perth - Melbourne for the 20K.

My vacation blocks typically fall around March and October, and I really don't have any destination preference. If something falls into place, and I have the time off, I'll try to make it.
Old Nov 21, 2000, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The possible April 2001 dates mentioned above will not suit me or others who may join the UA new "around-the-world" flight which re-starts April 1, and would take a week or so to stay with for the rtw. That also sounds like it will be fun! :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/000727.html

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 21, 2000, 8:46 pm

Add me to the list of wanting to be included.
Old Nov 23, 2000, 8:13 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Hi all,

I think we are ready to start looking seriously at head counts for specific dates. With the Catmans gig and the RTW flyers out there in early April and the Freddies and the beer in Oregon to work into the schedule, it is going to be a here sooner than we think. As such I have set up a separate topic just for the head count for specific dates.

Please click here for a link to the FT Winetasting Dates Signup List

We have had great feedback in this topic about where, when, how, etc., and we should keep it here for further discussions on those points. Much planning ahead. I would however like to try to keep an easily tabulated list of how many for which event (I think two events is unanimously agreed).

The dates I am proposing are as follows
[list=a] [*] (Australia) 18, 19, 20 March[*] (Australia) 17, 18, 19 April[*] (Provence) 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 November (in fact any 3 days in this period)[/list=a]

Please post to the topic FT Winetasting Dates Signup List as to your confirmed or likely "yes" choices. I have included a "fill in" space as a fall back, but if we can get people to use the choices here (or an alternative that gains popular consent) the planning gets easier.

I look forward to tallying the votes (no recounts a la Florida-----public voting is a great way to go) and moving to the reservations stage of things.

Mike
Old Nov 23, 2000, 8:22 am
Commander Catcop

Remember, the Catman Do Trois dates are Friday, March 23rd to Sunday, March 25th.

So doing a back to back F-T dos might be exausting.

Good luck on your planning. I don't know yet if I can attend anything related to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.