bdnyc
lili
nomadic.relief

*AS 51 D:5:30 pm A:7:20 pm

From BRW

6/21
*AS 55 D:12:30 pm A:3:40 pm
violist
GrjApp (would switch to AS50 if saver opens up)
ANC RED-EYE (would switch to AS50 if saver opens up)
lili
jackal (would try to change flight to later if can do without change fee, or may try to SDC)

*AS 50 D:7:04 pm A:8:51 pm
beckoa
CDKing
rxgeek
rxgeek+1
bdnyc
nomadic.relief

Departing from ANC to lower 48

6/23/17
AS 94 12:05am nomadic.relief
*AA 384 D 11:20 pm - lili
AS150 11.35 pm - GrjApp

6/24/17
DL 822 00:40 - bdnyc

6/25/17
AS94 - CDKing 00:05

​6/27/17
AS130 0600 rxgeek

7/3/17
AS136 - jackal

LODGING

ANC

AirBNB Rental
CDKing - 6/21-6/25

Copper Whale Inn
CDKing - 6/16-6/17

Downtown Marriott

Downtown Hilton

Frenchie's Adventure BNB
CDKing 6/19- 6/20

Inlet Towers

Quality Suites Historic Downtown
Rxgeek+1
nomadic.relief

Home
jackal

Chateau de Baron Welsh
bdnyc

BRW

In town options
Tukkumavik Suites:*Preferred*
GrjApp
Rxgeek+1
ANC RED-EYE
bdnyc
jackal
CDKing (once again)

Ukpik Nest II hotel:

Latitude 71 Bed and Breakfast:
nomadic.relief

Top of the World Hotel

Near Airport options:
Airport Inn
violist

King Eider Inn (close to airport inn)
Print Wikipost

Alaska Do 2017 BRW Summer Solstice under the Midnight Sun [June 20-23, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Anyone into geocaching?

Apparently there are 4 in BRW...
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Didn't know... or I'd of come up to say hi.

And no, that's not too much.
It was only a 2 hour stop from 4am-6am. Just enough time to get pancakes and learn that my phone doesn't get any data in Anchorage. I did finally pickup 3G on sprint but it was useless, t-mobile was phone and SMS only. I'll probably need to grab my old verizon phone for next week
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So the Alaska Uber bill finally made its way to the governor yesterday evening:

http://www.akleg.gov/basis/Bill/Detail/30?Root=HB%20132

5/17/2017 1339 (S) RETURN TO (H), TRANSMIT TO GOV NEXT
5/17/2017 1339 (S) VERSION: CSHB 132(L&C)
6/6/2017 1561 (H) MANIFEST ERROR(S) (REVISOR OF STATUTES & ENROLLING SEC.)
6/9/2017 1573 (H) 5:06 PM 6/8/17 TRANSMITTED TO GOVERNOR
6/9/2017 1573 (H) DUE BACK FROM GOVERNOR 6/26/17

Gov. Walker indicated that he would likely support it, so let's hope he signs it soon so Uber and Lyft can get to work getting service ready here!

It'd probably be useful for many in this thread if Uber could get up and running in the next week. I've already sent a message to the Governor requesting him to sign the bill ASAP at http://aws.state.ak.us/CrmForms/Home/Feedback.

I see no reason visitors to Alaska can't send a message through that form imploring him to improve the quality of their vacations here by allowing Uber to start operations ASAP. Hint, hint.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the patches of snow on the ground in Barrow are gone! Still quite a bit of sea ice, though. Live (well, refreshed every few minutes) image:

Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
It was only a 2 hour stop from 4am-6am. Just enough time to get pancakes and learn that my phone doesn't get any data in Anchorage. I did finally pickup 3G on sprint but it was useless, t-mobile was phone and SMS only. I'll probably need to grab my old verizon phone for next week
Does Verizon work in BRW?

I know ATT does...
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Looks like the patches of snow on the ground in Barrow are gone! Still quite a bit of sea ice, though. Live (well, refreshed every few minutes) image:
Looks like summer!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Looks like summer!
Perfect weather for the Polar Bear Plunge....
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know ATT does...
Sorry looks like my phone didn't post the response, I had no service in Barrow with Verizon but did elsewhere, since i have not cancelled my verizon service yet thought about just using that and wifi in barrow. Well i do share data so could be easier if i get a AT&T prepaid sim
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Sorry looks like my phone didn't post the response, I had no service in Barrow with Verizon but did elsewhere, since i have not cancelled my verizon service yet thought about just using that and wifi in barrow. Well i do share data so could be easier if i get a AT&T prepaid sim
Some others might have data to share... for a few K in miles
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know ATT does...
AT&T roams on ASTAC, which was EDGE last time I was there but according to the AT&T coverage map, may be 3G now (though with satellite-only backhaul until this winter, don't expect anything remotely resembling a speedy connection). ASTAC claims it's 4G, but AT&T doesn't agree, and I'd be hard pressed to believe they've done LTE up there. Maybe HSPA+.

GCI shows coverage on both their GSM network (2G/EDGE) as well as their legacy CDMA network (2G/1xRTT, now only used for GCI prepaid plans).

It appears that Verizon and Sprint both roam on the GCI CDMA network. This is semi-confirmed by VZW's coverage map, which indicates "Extended 1X," and Sprint's, which just labels it "Extended Roaming" (no data technology specified, but it's guaranteed to be 1X). The net-net is that anyone with Verizon or Sprint should probably have voice, but data will be virtually unusable.

T-Mobile might fare slightly better. It's unknown whether they roam on ASTAC or GCI's GSM network, but either way, they do show coverage but as "non-LTE data," so it's not clear whether it's 2G/EDGE or 3G/HSPA. If it's ASTAC with 3G/HSPA, it might be usable. If it's GCI with 2G/EDGE, good luck connecting to anything...

All the above said, note that many people with Sprint, T-Mo, and MVNOs that primarily use these carriers (Google Fi, etc.) have reported a lot of issues with coverage, even in Anchorage. So it might be best to come prepared for your phone not to work at all--and then be pleasantly surprised if it does.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W
Perfect weather for the Polar Bear Plunge....
Might need an ice pick
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
AT&T roams on ASTAC, which was EDGE last time I was there but according to the AT&T coverage map, may be 3G now (though with satellite-only backhaul until this winter, don't expect anything remotely resembling a speedy connection). ASTAC claims it's 4G, but AT&T doesn't agree, and I'd be hard pressed to believe they've done LTE up there. Maybe HSPA+.

GCI shows coverage on both their GSM network (2G/EDGE) as well as their legacy CDMA network (2G/1xRTT, now only used for GCI prepaid plans).

It appears that Verizon and Sprint both roam on the GCI CDMA network. This is semi-confirmed by VZW's coverage map, which indicates "Extended 1X," and Sprint's, which just labels it "Extended Roaming" (no data technology specified, but it's guaranteed to be 1X). The net-net is that anyone with Verizon or Sprint should probably have voice, but data will be virtually unusable.

T-Mobile might fare slightly better. It's unknown whether they roam on ASTAC or GCI's GSM network, but either way, they do show coverage but as "non-LTE data," so it's not clear whether it's 2G/EDGE or 3G/HSPA. If it's ASTAC with 3G/HSPA, it might be usable. If it's GCI with 2G/EDGE, good luck connecting to anything...

All the above said, note that many people with Sprint, T-Mo, and MVNOs that primarily use these carriers (Google Fi, etc.) have reported a lot of issues with coverage, even in Anchorage. So it might be best to come prepared for your phone not to work at all--and then be pleasantly surprised if it does.
Tryin' to scare everyone away?

My blackberry worked ok there
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
My blackberry worked ok there
actually saw another bb in the wild a couple weeks ago at the JFK T4 SkyClub
Attached Images  
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jrl767
actually saw another bb in the wild a couple weeks ago at the JFK T4 SkyClub
Someone shot it to put it out of our misery.....
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops I booked the wrong date at the hotel in Barrow and it's sold out now for our dates so it looks like I'll be looking at other hotel options

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.