Korea Do - Seoul April 16-18, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korea Do - Seoul April 16-18, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
What a lovely coincidence... planning family Asia vacation for next month and stumbled upon this.

Are there any concerns given the prior protests and impeachment of the President and whether this could be an issue during the Do?

Not sure if our schedule will align but possibly looking to meet some FT'ers (though I may be fairly limited in participation as this is supposed to be a family vacation and will have 2 little ones in tow).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Costco is anxiously awaiting your decision
That would be Costco Korea is anxiously awaiting his decision, unfortunately poor beckoa is anxiously awaiting that of Costco Alaska.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Good point, and what I meant
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
What a lovely coincidence... planning family Asia vacation for next month and stumbled upon this.

Are there any concerns given the prior protests and impeachment of the President and whether this could be an issue during the Do?

Not sure if our schedule will align but possibly looking to meet some FT'ers (though I may be fairly limited in participation as this is supposed to be a family vacation and will have 2 little ones in tow).
While protests back in the 80s were quite a sporting event, today's protests are very civilized. It may be an opportunity to witness a part of history in the making. Protests have actually stopped since the President was impeached. Now all we will likely see are campaigns throughout the country. If safety was an issue, I would move events to other cities outside of Seoul. But I feel confident there should not be any issues.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by nme7
Conrad - bk3day, kirkwoodj, krazykanuck, angra, ZFW-ATC, ZFW-ATC+1
Grand Hyatt - Sykes, serfty, GarySTL, Gary STL+1
Plaza Hotel - TravelKane
Park Hyatt - -Heathcliff-
Ibis Styles Ambassador Seoul Myeongdong - wysiwyg, NewbieRunner
Anyone staying at Westin Chosun? Would I be too far from everyone else?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Anyone staying at Westin Chosun? Would I be too far from everyone else?
The Westin is located very close to everything. A good choice when staying in Seoul.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Exclamation Clean up your box (act).

{entire message snipped}
luv2ctheworld, your private message to me asking for detail about my decision to not go on this Do was the correct move.
But your PM inbox is so full I couldn't respond privately. Please delete messages from your inbox. {Copy & paste the ones you really really need to a text file.}
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by pudgym29
{entire message snipped}
luv2ctheworld, your private message to me asking for detail about my decision to not go on this Do was the correct move.
But your PM inbox is so full I couldn't respond privately. Please delete messages from your inbox. {Copy & paste the ones you really really need to a text file.}
Box cleaned up. Thanks.

Originally Posted by nme7
While protests back in the 80s were quite a sporting event, today's protests are very civilized. It may be an opportunity to witness a part of history in the making. Protests have actually stopped since the President was impeached. Now all we will likely see are campaigns throughout the country. If safety was an issue, I would move events to other cities outside of Seoul. But I feel confident there should not be any issues.
Thanks for the input. We're still looking to going, but the news makes the Mrs. a bit uneasy. When traveling on my own it is a lot less of a concern, but having 2 toddlers in tow and a nervous mom makes vacation planning a bit more challenging with the saber rattling and discussions of military actions.

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Mar 19, 2017 at 5:55 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Murder at Apt 404 [Sunday April 16th @8:30pm]

Thai-Kiwi had an excellent suggestion regarding booking an hour in an escape room. I have made a reservation for the largest room. It only hold 10 people however. So the first 10 people who reply with interest will get a crack at this. The cost is 20,000 krw (~$18 USD) per person. Sunday April 16th @8:30pm

Here is the scenario:

You woke up with a splitting headache. You find yourself in a strange room you've never been before.

The last thing you remember is partying out with friends last night. You accepted a drink from someone and... you must have blacked out. You look around trying to understand the situation. Looks like someone's house, a living room. But the blood stain on the carpet and messy furniture suggest that something bad must have happened here. That's when you hear an audio file playing from somewhere:

“Hello friend, people call me “X”. I am what they call a “serial killer” in this society. I have committed a new murder, and I need someone else to blame for my hobby as per usual. Nothing personal against you. You have just been unlucky. Cops will arrive in about an hour from now, and you will spend the rest of your life in prison due to compelling evidence. You have no other choice. Goodbye. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds.”

You have 60 minutes to escape. Will you be able to find clues to prove your innocence and escape in time..?

Difficulty rating is 4.5 stars out of 5 stars. I have a feeling that our crack crew of FT'ers can solve this within the hour time limit. Who's in?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I'm in for serial killer madness
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Hell no on stress. I'll be having chicken & beer next door.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Chicken and beer afterwards, pleeeeease. This really is excellent fun, and the time flies as the problem gets 'unpicked' by teamwork and logic.

Highly recommended. If I wasn't away from Seoul for Easter I'd be there!!!!!!

Cheers, TK
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Box cleaned up. Thanks.

Thanks for the input. We're still looking to going, but the news makes the Mrs. a bit uneasy. When traveling on my own it is a lot less of a concern, but having 2 toddlers in tow and a nervous mom makes vacation planning a bit more challenging with the saber rattling and discussions of military actions.
All calm in Seoul at present, and indeed spring is about to arrive. It is a wonderful time to visit Korea, and whilst each to their own in terms of comfort level, Mrs TK has 5 friends incoming from Thailand in early April to enjoy Spring blossoms and warmer weather....
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Bring the chicken and beer to the escape room. Actually I'm wonder if I can order delivery to the room.

I can see it now.... kirkwoodj posting live updates on FT while the 10 of us walk in. Perhaps a few pictures of the fried wings and beer being consumed as each minute goes by.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:56 am

If I understood the map and directions properly, Magpie Brewing is approximately 500m from the escape room.

I strongly suspect that's where you'll find kirkwoodj.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.