FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Korea Do - Seoul April 16-18, 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1774719-korea-do-seoul-april-16-18-2017-a.html)

nme7 Jun 27, 2016 7:31 am

Korea Do - Seoul April 16-18, 2017

Could it be the first Do in Korea? Correction: A Do was held in 2007. So it's well overdue for another one!

Come and join us as we explore Seoul and also take a tour of the DMZ. Sunday will be meeting day as travelers come to town and check in to hotels. We will feast on korean bbq that evening! Monday will start with a tour of the main palace of the Joseon dynasty and later that evening, a Royal Cuisine dinner. Tuesday will be off to the DMZ border to get a glimpse of North Korea and a tour of the Joint Security Area (JSA).

This will be the Post-Do for Japan Do 5, but anyone is welcome to join.

Date: Sunday April 16 to Tuesday April 18, 2017

Flights: Most international flights go to Incheon (ICN) airport. ICN is located about an hour away from central Seoul. However there are a handful of international flights that land at Gimpo (GMP) airport. Located 25 minutes away from central Seoul, this may be an option if you are flying from Tokyo (Haneda airport).

Hotels: While Seoul has a good selection of excellent hotels, here is a list of hotels that are located close to the majority of activities for the Do. In no particular order:

Millenium Seoul Hilton: Great location, just next to Seoul train station, albeit up a hill.

Conrad Seoul: Excellent hotel, a short ride into central Seoul. Fantastic views looking north across the Han river.

Westin Chosun: Central location makes this a winner for visitors.

The Plaza Hotel: Hotel faces Seoul Plaza, which can lead to front row viewing of any large event held in the plaza.

JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square: Located a bit east of Central Seoul but across from the spaceship-looking DDP, Dongdaemun Design Plaza. Some rooms have a view of Dongdaemun, the East Gate.

Grand Hyatt Seoul: The hotel of choice for US Presidents when visiting Seoul. Located on top of a hill, so taking a taxi to any location is recommended.

Courtyard by Marriott Namdaemun: Just opened in May 2016, everything is new, clean and modern. A short 5-10 min walk to the subway.

There are also several small boutique hotels that are not too expensive. More info can be found here.

*Itinerary subject to change if crazy Kim decides to crash the party.

nme7 Jun 27, 2016 7:32 am

Tentative Itinerary

*Please note that the itinerary is subject to change. Places and restaurants have not been finalized yet.

April 16th Sunday, 2017 - Happy Easter everyone!
- 6pm. Meet & Greet @ Conrad Hotel Lobby. For those who are not staying at the Conrad, please meet at
Busan Galbi restaurant in Itaewon. See Map below.
- 6:30pm Leave to Itaewon.
- 7:00pm Busan Galbi restaurant in Itaewon. Exit #2 at Itaewon station (Line 6)
- 8:30pm. Murder at Apt 404. Escape Room @ Itaewon.
- 9:00pm ~ The Fountain Bar. For those not going to the Escape Room, this is a fun place to get a drink. The alternate bar is The Bungalow.
The Map for the evening's activities.

April 17th Monday, 2017
- 9:30am. Meet at Gwanghwamun Exit #9 (Line 5).
- 10am. Changing of the Guard ceremony @ Gyeongbokgung Palace.
- 12noon. Lunch at Maple Tree in Samcheong-dong area.
- 1:30pm. Explore Bukchon Hanok/Insadong village area.
- 4pm. Trickeye Museum in Hongdae.
- 6:30pm. Dinner in Hongdae area.
- Optional after-dinner walk exploring the nightlife.

April 18th Tuesday, 2017
- 6:45am DMZ Tour. Meet at Hotel President. Expected return to seoul about 1:30pm.
- 1:30pm Garosu-gil walk. See post #356
- 6pm. Meet at Chungmuro subway station exit #3
- 6:30pm Performance & Dinner @ Korea House
- Purchase Tickets Here.

April 19th Wednesday, 2017
- A few optional activities:
- Walk through the cherry blossom lined street near the National Assembly Building. Start at National Assembly station exit #6 , walk a lap around the outside of the National Assembly area. Then walk towards the river front and head towards Yeouinaru station.
- N Seoul Tower. Take the cable car to reach N Seoul Tower. See link on how to get there.

This is just a tentative schedule. Some events may change dates but i will keep everyone updated. Our main Korea Do dinner will be the Royal Cuisine dinner after the performance at Korea House.

nme7 Jun 27, 2016 7:32 am

Attendees

Somaek - Confirmed (소맥 / Somaek translates to Soju and Beer combined.)
nme7
NewbieRunner
penegal
kirkwoodj
armagebedar
nomadic.relief
bk3day
Sykes
upup&away
TravelKane
krazykanuck
wysiwyg
BigRedBears
-Heathcliff-
serfty
EI147
Melville
davef139
awc4
SKYEG
fifa
Mr. Fifa
GarySTL
GarySTL+1
angra
ZFW-ATC
ZFW-ATC+1

Soju - Interested (소주 / Soju)
SQ421
flopsi
CMK10
Awesom Andy
violist
AvidFlyer1990
ellyse
perthite
ORD-TGU
timid_trnchcoat
Middle_Seat
FriendlySkies
Thai - Kiwi

Beer - Maybe Next Time (맥주 / Beer)
pudgym29
Kiwi Flyer
AKDan

nme7 Jun 27, 2016 7:33 am

Flights

April 12 Wednesday, 2017:
OZ201 LAX-ICN 12:10-17:30 - SKYEG

April 16 Sunday, 2017:
OZ1055 HND-GMP 9:00-11:20 - wysiwyg
OZ1075 HND-GMP 12:05-14:25 - kirkwoodj
OZ 101 NRT-ICN, 12:40-15:10 - krazykanuck, serfty, fifa, Mr. fifa
OZ103 NRT-ICN 13:30-16:10 - TravelKane
KE720 HND-ICN 2:00-4:30 - angra
JL5257? HND-ICN 6:20-9:00 - ZFW-ATC, ZFW-ATC+1
LJ202 NRT-ICN 10:50-13:20 - GarySTL, Gary STL+1

nme7 Jun 27, 2016 7:34 am

Hotels

Conrad - bk3day, kirkwoodj, krazykanuck, angra, ZFW-ATC, ZFW-ATC+1, fifa, Mr. fifa, TravelKane
Grand Hyatt Seoul - Sykes, serfty, GarySTL, Gary STL+1
Grand Hyatt Incheon - GarySTL, Gary STL+1, wysiwyg (April 19)
Plaza Hotel -
Park Hyatt - -Heathcliff-
Ibis Styles Ambassador Seoul Myeongdong - wysiwyg, NewbieRunner

nomadic.relief Jun 27, 2016 9:50 am

Definitely interested!

kirkwoodj Jun 27, 2016 10:12 am

Highly likely!

penegal Jun 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Please sign me up to this do also.

Will be good to catch up again nme7.

kirkwoodj Jun 27, 2016 5:28 pm

Scrounging up an extra vacay day so I could do DMZ on Tuesday without massive stress to catch flight... ^

SQ421 Jun 27, 2016 7:41 pm

+1 for this do. If I make it to Japan, I'll make it to Korea!

kirkwoodj Jun 27, 2016 8:31 pm

I'm in. All booked & everything, great fares, will leave Wed afternoon so no rush to get back from DMZ on Tuesday :)

NewbieRunner Jun 28, 2016 12:52 am

Originally Posted by SQ421 (Post 26839917)
+1 for this do. If I make it to Japan, I'll make it to Korea!

You'd better. To both!!

Kiwi Flyer Jun 28, 2016 3:34 am

I'll see if I can make this one. I think I remember attending a short do in Seoul some years ago.

wysiwyg Jun 28, 2016 4:38 am

Certainly interested since I will already be at the Japan DO 5

Sweet Willie Jun 28, 2016 6:28 am

Originally Posted by nme7 (Post 26836689)
Could it be the first Do in Korea?

There have been a few Korea Do's (i.e. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...h-oct-1st.html ).

Excellent destination, so hope this works out!!^