Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI BBQ DO IX - May 2-4, 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by akp
Jack Stack last night was fun. It's decent BBQ, not my favorite but a great start for the weekend.

I skipped OK Joe's since it is my neighborhood BBQ and I wanted to pace myself today.

Brobeck's was a great addition! The server dropped off samples of ham salad at the table for us to try and it was great. The ribs are to die for. Super tender with a fantastic rub. No sauce needed. Highly recommend.

LCs burnt ends (beef) were great. I brought home a slab of ribs and pound of brisket for the family and those were well received, as were my burnt end leftovers.

Rob (MCI777) suggested a monthly MCI happy hour which I think sounds great. Any other KC residents interested?

Anita
I'd be up for monthly MCI happy hours. And if one of you happens to be in KC for business if you let us know ahead of time we'll schedule happy hour for when you are here. Getting together with fellow FT'ers is always educational. I always learn something new about FF points and how to work them. Just learned about Bank Direct and AA points from Anita and plan to open an account tomorrow.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:20 am

BTW, if you have some time to kill before your flight, go try a "concrete" at Sheridan's Frozen Custard. Amazing.

Not sure what time they open.
Old May 4, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by akp
Rob (MCI777) suggested a monthly MCI happy hour which I think sounds great. Any other KC residents interested?

Anita
Yes please^^ and BTW my favorite in the city is still Smokin Guns. (on Swift -was on DDD and by the way Woodyard is brilliant)
Old May 4, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes please^^ and BTW my favorite in the city is still Smokin Guns. (on Swift -was on DDD and by the way Woodyard is brilliant)
+1 to the happy hour idea.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Can you all wait until after Memorial Day for the first happy hour? Bob and I are leaving Wednesday for Borneo vacation and won't be back until May 24.

I second adding Smokin' Guns to the list next year. I heard they recently expanded and doubled the size of the restaurant. Maybe they have a private room that we could use for the Friday night gathering. My opinion is that Jack Stack is just too crowded and when eating so late the food seems overcooked.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Sounds like everyone enjoyed. How could one not?

Sorry to have missed.

>MCI777 - I shall return.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by akp
Will be an MCI resident a month from now, will be interested in happy hour events ...
Old May 4, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Wanted to echo Mrs. Mackie's declaration of thanks to MCI777 for organizing. We had a fantastic weekend, even though we didn't catch back up with the rest of the group on Saturday afternoon. We'll definitely be back.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:31 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by icurhere2
Will be an MCI resident a month from now, will be interested in happy hour events ...
Welcome to Kansas City
Old May 4, 2014, 10:07 pm

MCI BBQ DO IX - May 2-4, 2014

Many thanks to MCI777 for organizing and hosting. This event is always on my preferred Do list due to the hospitality of the locals, the folks it draws, and of course the wonderful BBQ. Well done and I hope to see you all again soon!
Old May 5, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
A HUGE thank you to everyone who came to the MCI BBQ DO this year. Lots of great bbq (and bloody Mary's)and I even got to try a new local spot (brobeck's). Can't wait to do this again next year.

For the MCI locals, I will post a separate thread to get a date set for our first happy hour. The first happy hour will probably take place in mid to late June.

Thank you for everyone's kind words and glad everyone had a great time!!
Old May 5, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks MCI777 (Rob) for setting this up. I had a blast as usual. I decided to post a few pics of the Q For people to drool over

A "Beef Burnt End" from LC's

The Infamous Burnt End Stuffed Olive Bloody Mary

Our 2 Meat Plate at Oklahoma Joes featuring Brisket & Pork

The No Sauce Needed Ribs by Brobeck's.

And finally, the Woodyard Ribs & Burnt Ends. This was a place I went to on my own on the way into town. I was running a bit late so I missed AFM-DFW. I didn't take a picture of it but their Smoked Chicken Wings were something else as well..

Old May 5, 2014, 9:52 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fieldeng
Thanks MCI777 (Rob) for setting this up. I had a blast as usual. I decided to post a few pics of the Q For people to drool over

A "Beef Burnt End" from LC's

The Infamous Burnt End Stuffed Olive Bloody Mary

Our 2 Meat Plate at Oklahoma Joes featuring Brisket & Pork

The No Sauce Needed Ribs by Brobeck's.

And finally, the Woodyard Ribs & Burnt Ends. This was a place I went to on my own on the way into town. I was running a bit late so I missed AFM-DFW. I didn't take a picture of it but their Smoked Chicken Wings were something else as well..

Nice pictures! Thanks for posting.

and Rob, thanks for coordinating us.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akp
Nice pictures! Thanks for posting - and Rob, thanks for coordinating us.
^ +1
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happened to the idea of meeting for happy hour every month? Has that idea gone dead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.