Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
Targeting 12/19 for the next one. 1/23 should work too.
Good question/suggestion from GrjApp.

IMO you would get a pretty good crowd on 1/23.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:44 pm

Nice. Both dates work for me.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by GrjApp

Also wondering - Fri 1/23 dinner? That would be a nice piggy back to the Wine DO on 1/24.
I think you mean 6.5

dh
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I will be arriving into JFK at 6:40 PM on 1/23 so I may be able to make this one. I will have a carry on so I could taxi to the venue.^^
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
As it turns out I can't make 12/19 work, but 12/20 is penciled in for Brunei (finally). The tentative plan is Sanur, and Indonesian/Malaysian spot in Chinatown. A friend of mine knows someone from Brunei who said a place with this combination is our best bet. I'll also try my hand at making ambuyat if I can track down the ingredients. Will confirm the location and time once I'm back in the city next week.

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; Dec 5, 2014 at 7:13 am
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
As it turns out I can't make 12/19 work, but 12/20 is penciled in for Brunei (finally). The tentative plan is Sanur, and Indonesian/Malaysian spot in Chinatown. A friend of mine knows someone from Brunei who said a place with this combination is our best bet. I'll also try my hand at making ambuyat if I can track down the ingredients. Will confirm the location and time once I'm back in the city next week.
Originally Posted by GrjApp
Been too long since I've been to one of these!

Any chance of a Fri 12/19 dinner?
Or possibly lunch on the Saturday. That's my next trip to NYC.

Also wondering - Fri 1/23 dinner? That would be a nice piggy back to the Wine DO on 1/24.
I might be able to join you 12/20. Hope GrjApp is still around.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by bdnyc
I might be able to join you 12/20. Hope GrjApp is still around.
Should be around for lunch but not dinner.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by BOB W
I will be arriving into JFK at 6:40 PM on 1/23 so I may be able to make this one. I will have a carry on so I could taxi to the venue.^^
Now arriving at 7 PM with a checked bag
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Brunei & Africa

2 meals planned next week

1) The United Nations African Mother Association is hosting their annual fundraising dinner, which promises dishes from many otherwise hard-to-find African cuisines. Dinner is Wednesday night, December 17, 6:00pm, 4 West 43rd Street. Depending on the selection, we may be able to check off Burundi and a couple of the "C-" countries.

I believe they ask for a $50 donation which will go toward the fight against Ebola. I am working to find out if tickets need to be purchased in advance or at the door. The always-excellent Eating in Translation blog has a slideshow from the 2012 event here.

2) Brunei - Saturday, December 20, 1:00pm. A friend of one of my guests at the Canada meal is from Brunei and tells us we should go to an Indonesian/Malaysian restaurant for the best representation of what Bruneians would typically eat. Specifically, she recommended Sanur in Chinatown. I'm hoping our Bruneian friend will be able to join us for an added element of authenticity, and I will still be trying to prepare or procure some ambuyat by the time of this meal. Since GrjApp is only available for lunch on Saturday, I've got this penciled in for 1:00pm. I'm flexible with the time slot if anyone has an objection.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: US, HH
Lunch at 1pm on 12/20 works for me.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, HH, MR, Emirates
Would be possible to schedule a little bit later after 4pm?

1) The United Nations African Mother Association is hosting their annual fundraising dinner, which promises dishes from many otherwise hard-to-find African cuisines. Dinner is Wednesday night, December 17, 6:00pm, 4 West 43rd Street. Depending on the selection, we may be able to check off Burundi and a couple of the "C-" countries.

I believe they ask for a $50 donation which will go toward the fight against Ebola. I am working to find out if tickets need to be purchased in advance or at the door. The always-excellent Eating in Translation blog has a slideshow from the 2012 event here.

2) Brunei - Saturday, December 20, 1:00pm. A friend of one of my guests at the Canada meal is from Brunei and tells us we should go to an Indonesian/Malaysian restaurant for the best representation of what Bruneians would typically eat. Specifically, she recommended Sanur in Chinatown. I'm hoping our Bruneian friend will be able to join us for an added element of authenticity, and I will still be trying to prepare or procure some ambuyat by the time of this meal. Since GrjApp is only available for lunch on Saturday, I've got this penciled in for 1:00pm. I'm flexible with the time slot if anyone has an objection.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:58 am

I'm in for 12/20
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

@LuxurySuite - unfortunately post-4pm wouldn't work for a few of the confirmed attendees on 12/20

@greendx - added you to the list.

This place is very informal and doesn't take reservations. They have a couple of large round tables that look like they could seat 9-10, so I'm going to try to cap it there. Currently at 6 people confirmed.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
I'm in for 12/20 as well
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt

I emailed UNAMA and they said you are just able to show up at the door, no need to purchase tickets in advance. I will try to head here, but probably closer to 7, not 6. Can't miss that much African food in one place!

Unfortunately won't be able to make Brunei.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.