Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013-Registration SOLD OUT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:48 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
with sadness (b/c this event is so awesome) i am offering up my event registration, and my host hotel reservation. i haven't been paying attention to how the transfer is supposed to work but i am sure we can figure it out. PM me.
psst, take a look at the post above yours, PM them, most likely problem solved.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
psst, take a look at the post above yours, PM them, most likely problem solved.
thanks, Sweet Willie. contact has been made.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Dinner Fri or Sat night

I'm sort of a foodie and have been looking forward to this event for a while, I'm throwing this out how about doing a Dinner Fri or Sat night. I'll have a car while in Chitown, I'm thinking of doing one of Rick Bayless's places Frontera Grill. I"ve had some of his food at airports and my cousin raves about his place when he is in Chicago. Are there any takers?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
I am looking for a ticket please PM me if you have one available! I have a friend that would like to attend.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I'm sort of a foodie and have been looking forward to this event for a while, I'm throwing this out how about doing a Dinner Fri or Sat night. I'll have a car while in Chitown, I'm thinking of doing one of Rick Bayless's places Frontera Grill. I"ve had some of his food at airports and my cousin raves about his place when he is in Chicago. Are there any takers?
Sorry to add a note of reality, but unless you're REALLY lucky you would need to have made reservations weeks ago for Rick Bayless' restaurants for a Saturday night. Of course, maybe you will be lucky. On Saturday evening, plan on an hour to drive into Chicago because the route in from O'Hare is usually a bit slow. Using public transportation will probably take about the same amount of time from O'Hare/Rosemont. You can check how late XOCO is open - very casual, first come-first served, next door to his other restaurants. Of course, the food is great (try the hot chocolate and churro for dessert).

I just read an old post stating that cancelled rooms are not put back into the reservation pool at the host hotel. That's probably why I've not been lucky with a reservation. Anyone wanting to transfer a host hotel reservation for Friday/Saturday nights - please PM me. I do NOT need IHG credit for the stay. Much appreciated!

Last edited by Bippie; Oct 2, 2013 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life, HH Gold, IHG Platinum. Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, United Silver
WOW I just won a ticket to attend the seminar. A big Thank You to JeffSetter. Your generosity is greatly appreciated. I am wondering now if anyone has a room reservation available that they will not be using that could be transferred to my name and IHG member number? Thanks in advance.

Update: booked an award stay for the property.

Last edited by gogih; Oct 2, 2013 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Bippie
Sorry to add a note of reality, but unless you're REALLY lucky you would need to have made reservations weeks ago for Rick Bayless' restaurants for a Saturday night. Of course, maybe you will be lucky. On Saturday evening, plan on an hour to drive into Chicago because the route in from O'Hare is usually a bit slow. Using public transportation will probably take about the same amount of time from O'Hare/Rosemont. You can check how late XOCO is open - very casual, first come-first served, next door to his other restaurants. Of course, the food is great (try the hot chocolate and churro for dessert).

I just read an old post stating that cancelled rooms are not put back into the reservation pool at the host hotel. That's probably why I've not been lucky with a reservation. Anyone wanting to transfer a host hotel reservation for Friday/Saturday nights - please PM me. Much appreciated!
If you do plan to drive into the city on Saturday night, listend to 780 AM - they do road reports every ten minutes on the 8s (:08, :18:, :28....). You'll hear if the express lanes are faster on the Kennedy and the expected travel time from O'Hare into Chicago. If the express lanes are open and faster (usually they are), take them if you can. To get to the Bayless restaurants, you'll take the Ohio Street exit (the last exit from the express lanes) to Clark Street where you'll turn right. You'll be a few blocks from foodie heaven.

From Elk Grove Village, you'll get on the 90 East (Jane Addams Tollway) and will merge into the Kennedy (90/94) that will take you into Chicago. You're only on the tollway until just past O'Hare - the Kennedy is not a tollway - and traffic typically backs up a bit at the last toll booth past O'Hare.

The radio will call the roads by their names, not the highway numbers, so I included their names. Sorry if you already knew all of this but hope you find this helpful.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
There are some excellent places out near where the host hotel is. We ate at one last year and I can't remember the name... I'll check and see what it was. I just remember it was near the big mall out that way. Sweet Willie can maybe chime in on this one.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by miffSC
Sweet Willie can maybe chime in on this one.
sending PM to FlightNurse
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by miffSC
There are some excellent places out near where the host hotel is. We ate at one last year and I can't remember the name... I'll check and see what it was. I just remember it was near the big mall out that way. Sweet Willie can maybe chime in on this one.
On the west side of the big mall in Schaumburg (Woodfield Mall) is Weber Grill. There are only a few of these in Chicago and one in Indianapolis. They cook on Weber Grills (of course). This is one of my favorites near Woodfield Mall. Good steakhouses around the mall: Mortons and Wildfire. For those on a budget, you can't beat Ikea's in-store restaurant for cheap eats or try Portillos for a Chicago hot dog (maybe a mile west of the mall).
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
I'm in for this. I'll have a car also if needed
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:34 am

Just checked Opentable.com and Topolobanco (Bayless' restaurant that shares an entrance with Frontera Grill) has openings at 9:45 and 10 pm for parties of 4 on Saturday if you're interested.

Last edited by Bippie; Oct 2, 2013 at 1:38 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Update: room spoken for; thanks to all

Room at host hotel available Friday and Saturday night; please PM if you are interested:

Check-In Date: Fri Oct-11-2013 Check-Out Date: Sun Oct-13-2013
Room Type:
1 KING BED EXECUTIVE NONSMOKING
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Persons:1 Adults 0 Children

Average Nightly Rate $ 79.00 USD
Price for 1 rooms 2 nights $ 158.00 USD
Total Tax ‡ $ 18.96 USD
Estimated Total Price ‡ $ 176.96 USD

Last edited by CubsGirl; Oct 6, 2013 at 10:09 am Reason: Update
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bippie
On the west side of the big mall in Schaumburg (Woodfield Mall) is Weber Grill. There are only a few of these in Chicago and one in Indianapolis. They cook on Weber Grills (of course). This is one of my favorites near Woodfield Mall. Good steakhouses around the mall: Mortons and Wildfire. For those on a budget, you can't beat Ikea's in-store restaurant for cheap eats or try Portillos for a Chicago hot dog (maybe a mile west of the mall).
There is a Portillo's 1/2 mile south of the host hotel, a good choice to try an Italian Beef Sandwich: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_beef
or a Chicago style hot dog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_style_hot_dog Other than Portillo's there is really not anything worthwhile (IMO) within walking distance.

I'm not a fan of Weber Grill (have been many times as I used to work very close to it), I prefer pit BBQ places, there are no pit BBQ places near though.

Mortons & Wildfire (LEYE restaurant) are good, but pricey.

Big Bowl (Asian) & Shaw's Crab House are also LEYE, Big Bowl serves a great kung pao chicken, thankfully they will add heat to most any dish if you wish. www.leye.com/restaurants

Here is what I've PMd a few people:
The below are an easy drive from the host hotel. Each of these places I dine at ~5-6 times per year. Let me know if you are looking for some other cuisine or what restaurant you think you might hit & I'll give you my favorite dishes.

here are two Japanese markets with food courts in them, I've written them up here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...elk-grove.html

Korean BBQ (with real charcoal in your table): http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-seoul-re...nt-des-plaines

For Korean tofu soups/stews (not all are vegetarian):
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chodang-tofu...spect?start=40

Greek: http://thegreekvillagetaverna.com

Malaysian: www.penangarlington.com

Chinese (SzeChuan and Mandarin): www.asianbistro.biz

For Chicago regional, there is Portillo's 1/2 mile south of host hotel (they serve Italian Beef sandwiches & Chicago style hot dogs). There is also a Lou Malnati's for deep dish pan pizza (not stuffed) which is a few miles from hotel: http://www.loumalnatis.com/Locations/Details.aspx?ID=8

Willie

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Oct 3, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:58 pm

hi - my ticket is still available. i wasn't sure if i could make it or not, but now it's for sure that i cannot go. so i've got a ticket and a hotel room. let me know if you are interested.

$85 +20 transfer fee.

thanks,
jerri

SOLD!

Last edited by sa3704; Oct 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm Reason: update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.