Wiki Posts
Search

SIN DO 2014, January 16-20, 2014 Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jake66
Just out of curiosity, why have you dismissed Patpong as the centralized location? I've never been there, but I always hear about tourists staying there.
Patong and Patpong generally filled with hooker bars and junky hotels.

Last edited by bschaff1; Oct 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by bschaff1
Patong is generally filled with hooker bars and junky hotels.
....and it ain't no beach!

It is the hooker neighborhood in BKK...
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Jake 66, you might have been thinking of Pattaya which is a beach area near BKK but no way as nice as Phuket.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by jake66
Just out of curiosity, why have you dismissed Patpong as the centralized location? I've never been there, but I always hear about tourists staying there.
Time to quit squabbling over a typo. The name of the area of beach that you guys are fighting over on Phuket is Patong. Yes, Patpong is one of the "entertainment" districts of Bangkok and Pattaya is a beach resort to the east of Bangkok about an hour taxi ride from Suvarnabhumi airport. (also pretty much of an "entertainment" district.

Patong is not especially nice with an entertainment district feel. The area along the beach was devastated by the tsunami and unfortunately the opportunity to rebuild as something attractive was skipped so it again is pretty much exactly as it was before the event. It is not a fun place for most visitors.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by opushomes
Time to quit squabbling over a typo. The name of the area of beach that you guys are fighting over on Phuket is Patong. Yes, Patpong is one of the "entertainment" districts of Bangkok and Pattaya is a beach resort to the east of Bangkok about an hour taxi ride from Suvarnabhumi airport. (also pretty much of an "entertainment" district.

Patong is not especially nice with an entertainment district feel. The area along the beach was devastated by the tsunami and unfortunately the opportunity to rebuild as something attractive was skipped so it again is pretty much exactly as it was before the event. It is not a fun place for most visitors.
You are sbsolutely right! I mixed up Patpong with PatPHONG....but I still stand by Phuket as being great.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Post corrected. Both Patpong and Patong fit my original description.

With Phuket, there are 11 beaches/towns. Last time I stayed in Karon and Surin with rather quiet nice clean beaches.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:15 am

You can move me to the confirmed list. I'm scheduled to arrive from NRT during the wee early hours of Friday morning.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Put me on the confirmed list - flight to SIN booked. Hope I don't have to cancel out later but life is always a surprise.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AA platinum Ex, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
+1 and I are would like to confirm for the post do. We are so eager to join you again after such a fun event last year.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:03 am
uk1
Suspended

Please add me +1 to the list .... we are booked and staying in Singapore from 16th January for 20 nights .....

Looking forward to it.

Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Outbound upgrades cleared yesterday!

I had to change my return date due to a work conflict, but I was able to snag a UA J saver award on Eva metal out of KUL on the 19th. Shame I had to give up my NH F flights, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Looking forward to seeing if BR J lives up to the hype.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by zcat18
Outbound upgrades cleared yesterday!

I had to change my return date due to a work conflict, but I was able to snag a UA J saver award on Eva metal out of KUL on the 19th. Shame I had to give up my NH F flights, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Looking forward to seeing if BR J lives up to the hype.
Same here on the bolded part. I have BR J booked on my return as well. Cant decide if I want to keep that or my CX F award. It might be hard to fly BR J after my outbound in EK F
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
Same here on the bolded part. I have BR J booked on my return as well. Cant decide if I want to keep that or my CX F award. It might be hard to fly BR J after my outbound in EK F
Nice. Were you able to get the award straight out of SIN? At this point, KUL was actually the only airport in the region with J or F United award availability, so I'll probably just position myself via a cheap JetStar flight the morning of departure.

I'd imagine that any J product would pale in comparison to the likes of EK and CX F (I haven't had the privilege to try either yet). But, with Rimowa amenity kits and Dom, at least BR J offers a creature comfort or two. I'm just hoping both of those features remain by the time January rolls around!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by zcat18
Nice. Were you able to get the award straight out of SIN? At this point, KUL was actually the only airport in the region with J or F United award availability, so I'll probably just position myself via a cheap JetStar flight the morning of departure.
I'm booked the long way home. I booked TG to BKK, BR to LHR and LX to BOS via ZRH.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:30 pm

I am interested in those of you using mileage for your RT SIN flights....I have always used this trip as a MR....Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.