Reload this Page >

Austin Mega Do 2.5 - March 1-3, 2013

Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9

As promised, we're announcing the dates and a few details surrounding Austin Mega Do 2.5, scheduled for March 1 through March 3, 2013. For those of you playing the home game, you'll note that this is before SxSW comes to town, and (hopefully) well before the festering of summer sets in. We've got some great plans in the works and I hope you'll see fit to join us.

You may be asking, why is this a, "2.5" event? This event will be a little different than Austin Mega Do 1 and 2 from 2010 and 2012. Where those events were rather large in scale, often leaving Austin to enjoy more of the Central Texas region, the 2.5 event is almost entirely contained inside downtown Austin. It is also shorter in duration, not starting until Friday evening (with happy hour, of course) and ending early in the afternoon on Sunday. Also, as any 2012 attendee can tell you, we were a tad heavy on the smoked meat consumption. While there will most certainly be denatured proteins, we're focusing on downtown experiences and the dining choices will hopefully reflect that.

Another benefit of being focused in downtown is the lack of long bus rides to get anywhere. Downtown Austin is not terribly large, but it's not terribly small either, and the bus service can be sporadic. For almost all events, you'll be on your own for transportation. The availability of parking can be sparse at times, as it is in almost any city, so plan accordingly. We'll provide links to maps so you can estimate how long it will take to get from location to location.

As with years past, we're announcing these preliminary details quite early. As such, they are all subject to change. I'm in contract discussions with most of the venues and services we'll be featuring, but these things tend to drag out. As always, the website (http://www.ausmegado.com) is your source for the latest and greatest information. I'll do my best to keep the threads on MilePoint and FlyerTalk updated, but the website is the final word on the matter.

With those housekeeping items out of the way, here's the juicy details as we have them today:

Hotel: Austin is well known for its high room rates, and there is no better example of this than downtown Austin. But, being downtown, there are a large number of hotels to choose from. We're excited to announce a tentative agreement with the W Austin for a small block of rooms that will be available for Do attendees at a significantly discounted rate. Keep in mind that a standard room at this hotel regularly sells for over $600 per night. Concurrently, we're working to iron out an agreement with another hotel in the downtown area that will provide the additional room space needed and at a lower price point for those of you who would prefer to go that way. And as always, you're free to book any hotel you like. We'll post more details on this front as they develop.

Schedule Of Events: (subject to change)

Friday, March 1, 2013
5:00PM - 6:30PM - Happy Hour/Pre-game at Serranos on Red River
7:00PM - 9:00PM - Private dinner at Franklin BBQ (pre-paid)
9:30PM - ?????? - Strolling Dirty 6th/Sauntering The Warehouse District (bars and drinking)

Saturday, March 2, 2013
10:00AM - 12:30PM - Visit SoCo food trailers for brunch (a roach coach these ain't)
1:00PM - 6:00PM - Tour two local Austin breweries (limited bus service available for purchase)
7:00PM - 9:30PM - Dinner at Max's Wine Dive (food pre-paid)
10:00PM - 11:00PM - Esther's Follies (pre-paid)
11:00PM - ?????? - On your own.

Sunday, March 3, 2013
10:00AM - 1:00PM - Private screening of Airplane! at the Alamo Drafthouse with brunch and cash bar (food pre-paid)

As we progress through the next couple of months, I'll provide more information concerning the details of each event and what you can expect as far as costs and sponsorships. I expect registration for this event to open somewhere in or around September 2012. Stay tuned to the website, this thread, and the Facebook group for more details as they're released.

We look forward to seeing everyone in March of 2013!

Last edited by Mackieman; Jun 5, 2012 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Franklin BBQ without queuing up ^ I'm in
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Count me in!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
I'm a definite maybe +1
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards,many FF programs
Smile Austin Mega Do 2.5

Mega Do 2.0 was great! Enjoyed the hospitality and all. Count me in for 2.5.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Seeing that I just moved to Austin, I'm looking for attending this in person! Probably going to be my first FT DO!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Seeing that I just moved to Austin, I'm looking for attending this in person! Probably going to be my first FT DO!
We also do BBQ Thursday every Thursday if you're interested. :-:
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:26 am

Thanks Corey for the early notice.GETITON will be there.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Most likely, I'm there with you again.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Looking forward to it!!!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Quick update for our Sunday activities. I've executed the contract with the Drafthouse this afternoon so we're locked in for that event.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Alamo Drafthouse, it is a state of the art movie theater where, instead of ordering concessions of questionable quality, a full menu of snacks, entrees, deserts, and beverages is available and served by waitstaff that comes to your seat. This is a concept that has caught on in various places around the US but it was pioneered right here in Austin.

We'll be showing Airplane! in all its corny glory, but I'm very happy to announce that this will be the Drafthouse Action Pack version of the movie. This is an interactive movie experience where the movie is presented as a quote-a-long, and yelling out your favorite lines is encouraged. There are also a few contests and movie-themed props to enjoy as well. Typical movie experience this ain't.

The entry cost for this event should be around $50. This includes admission to the theater, the quote-a-long version of the movie, a menu where you can select an appetizer, entree, and dessert of your choice, tax, and gratuity. All beverages, alcoholic or otherwise, are available and will be placed on your own individual tab. A preview of the menu is available by clicking here.

More news as we make it.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Mackieman
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
We also do BBQ Thursday every Thursday if you're interested. :-:
Mmm BBQ Thursday at Franklins

Highly interested- will have to see how AS behaves with fares
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Mmm BBQ Thursday at Franklins

Highly interested- will have to see how AS behaves with fares
It is unfortunate that most of us have day jobs that prohibit standing in line at Franklin very often. Downtown is also a bit of a haul for those of us up here in the North 40. But we do ok, and Stiles Switch was excellent today (as long as you stay away from the pork ribs).
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Count me in as well. Looking forward to meeting fliers from my hometown.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:25 am

Count me in as a definite maybe. Looking forward to my first do!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.