Austin Mega Do 2.5 - March 1-3, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austin Mega Do 2.5 - March 1-3, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
I only get back to Austin on Saturday afternoon from a last minute work trip. Am not going to miss Franklins! Looking forward to meeting you guys!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Getting the paperwork together.

Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
BOB W and I have started our erratic journey south... joined on AS132 by AKScotty tonight
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
BOB W and I have started our erratic journey south... joined on AS132 by AKScotty tonight
See you tomorrow!

And no, that is not a typo.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Almost "Q" time!!!!

Franklin here we come^^
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We've created a map that shows the location of all the 2013 Austin Mega Do official events as well as the locations of some popular bars and whatnot as recommended by locals.

You can check it out at http://www.ausmegado.com/eventmap.cfm.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:33 pm

Swap lodging for mega do

I would like to participate in the Austin Mega DO. I will gladly swap 3 nights of lodging in my Downtown Austin studio condo for an opportunity to join in the fun.
You can see it on airbnb dot com number 257059.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miss-miss
I would like to participate in the Austin Mega DO. I will gladly swap 3 nights of lodging in my Downtown Austin studio condo for an opportunity to join in the fun.
You can see it on airbnb dot com number 257059.
Unfortunately, registration closed on February 1, but there are some events where you can drop in if you like; essentially anything that required pre-payment is limited to those folks who registered and paid for those events, and an ID badge is required to gain access. All the details are on http://www.ausmegado.com.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Greetings fellow AustinMegaDoers!

To help ensure that noone ends up too sober this weekend, I plan on leading some adult beverage excursions during the Friday and Saturday "Choose Your Own Adventure" timeslots. The idea is to show off opposite ends of the downtown drinking spectrum.

On Friday, starting right after Z'Tejas, we'll explore some of the excellent upscale cocktail bars Austin has to offer. These are places where the cocktail is not just a drink, it's an art-form. Don't expect to get a rum & coke, but do expect some top-notch concoctions that you may have never heard of. Stops will include the following, though we will adapt based on crowds/group size:
  • Townhouse
  • Bar Congress
  • Driskill Bar
  • Péché
On Saturday, after Esther's Follies, we'll go for the other extreme. When you hear Austin, you think 6th Street and the center of it all is lovingly called "Dirty 6th", an endless lineup of shot bars, dive bars and live music. Definitely not classy, but a hell of a lot of fun. If you join this crawl, a "Heldorado" or a "Flaming Dr. Pepper" will likely be in your future. And yes, that involves fire. Some sample stops:
  • Cheers Shot Bar
  • The Jackalope
  • Buckshots
  • Maggie Mae's
  • and more...
So what do you need to do to tag along? Just find me after Z'Tejas or Esther's Follies. This is completely open and optional, but so that I can get an approximate count, I ask that you send an email to [email protected] and give me your name or handle and an optional phone number. We'll (a) try to make sure we don't leave without you and (b) maybe even send updates as we hop from one venue to the next.

See you all in Austin...

Last edited by paranoiatx; Feb 28, 2013 at 10:58 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
a "Flaming Dr. Pepper"
You had me at that. Those are fun!!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I forgot to sign up and I live in Austin. Wonder if I can drop by to a few events such as
10:30AM - Visit SoCo Food Trailers for brunch. (map)
A roach coach, these ain't. Food from across the culinary spectrum; with names like Lard Have Mercy (everything deep fried), who can say no? Click here for examples.

Where exactly are you guys going to meet for this event?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duc1986d
I forgot to sign up and I live in Austin. Wonder if I can drop by to a few events such as
10:30AM - Visit SoCo Food Trailers for brunch. (map)
A roach coach, these ain't. Food from across the culinary spectrum; with names like Lard Have Mercy (everything deep fried), who can say no? Click here for examples.

Where exactly are you guys going to meet for this event?
Sure, you can join us for anything that didn't require pre-payment, like the visit to the food trailers. We're heading out from the W at 10:30AM for a walk down there.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

What spectacular weather! We look forward to seeing folks at 7 at Z Tejas.

(I went to the first post in this thread and saw Franklins for tonight. After a bit of a heart stoppage, I went over to the official website and was back on track.)
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The 2013 Austin Mega Do has come to a close, and with a total of 83 attendees over the various events, it's one for the record books. I'd like to thank everyone for taking time out of their lives and coming down to hang out in my town, and I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. We'll have more information about the 2014 event in the coming months, so make sure you check these forums as well as http://www.ausmegado.com for the latest info.

And with that, I'm now going to bed.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thank you, Mackieman. The weekend was impeccably organized and run. It was awesome to have Franklins all to our group. What a coup!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.