FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   R.I.P Jim, magic111, my dear friend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1316850-r-i-p-jim-magic111-my-dear-friend.html)

Pueo1 Feb 24, 2012 12:20 am

Very sad - deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. I can only hope to have touched so many lives as magic111, may you rest in peace.

JohnSydney2000 Feb 24, 2012 5:22 am

This news is so sad. He was always warm and helpful. It was great to meet Jim at a number of the Ozfest's in recent years. Have run into him in San Francisco and dined in Chicago in recent times. I haven't met his family - must be a tough time for his loved ones.
Too young to be taken from us.
A very nice man.

totti Feb 24, 2012 6:16 am

My deepest condolences to his family!

cawhite Feb 24, 2012 11:14 am

My deepest condolences to Jerrie and the rest of the family. Like others I've seen Jim & Jerrie at many DOs, but the one that sticks out in my mind the most was Bali Do 2006. Jim was such a generous contributor here at FT and his presence (both on board and at DOs) will be missed by many.

cblaisd Feb 24, 2012 11:57 am

The obituary with online remembrances that may be added for the family:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pre...&pid=156071846

R.I.P.

Originally Posted by belle3388 (Post 18071675)
The funeral service will be on Saturday, February the 25th at 2:00p.m. at

Parent Sorensen Mortuary
850 Keokuk Street
Petaluma, CA
(707) 763-4131

(Jim Morago)

techgirl Feb 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Wow... very sad news. Jim really was an amazing guy - passionate about so much and it showed, especially here on FlyerTalk.

My condolences go out to Jerrie and I know he's flying first class on that 777 in the sky.

stimpy Feb 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Terrible to lose such a great contributor to our group. Condolences to his family.

TrojanHorse Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm

I did not know him but may he RIP & condolences to his family

I hope that FT made his life better and his travels helped him have 64 wonderful years

flyerwife Feb 25, 2012 7:11 am

How nice that Flyertalk was mentioned in his obituary :)

Jim and Jerrie were among the FTers I met at one of my first Dos. I remember speaking to Jerrie more than Jim, but they were a lovely couple and my prayers are with her and their family at this very sad time.

dgolds Feb 25, 2012 8:47 am

So sad to hear this news

RIP, Jim, and condolences, Jerrie. I have very fond memories of attending my first (and probably last) bullfight with Jim in Valencia in 2003, during the Las Fallas festival.

http://www.dgolds.com/photos/spain20...risAndJim.jpeg

MRKEY Feb 25, 2012 8:48 am

Jim will be missed by many. A true gentleman and a good friend. My deepest condolences to Jerrie and the family.

jason8612 Feb 25, 2012 8:57 am

My condolences.
Jim will be missed.
:(

SanDiego1K Feb 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Several FlyerTalkers attended Jim's remembrance service today. The family asked me to post their appreciation for this thread and the one in the AA forum. His children began reading the threads yesterday, and were moved by how much Jim meant to people here. Yes, they had heard about FlyerTalk, yes, they knew that Jim traveled a considerable amount, but it was thru reading these posts that they realized how much he meant to us. It really expanded their understanding of their father.

squeakr Feb 26, 2012 9:43 am

It was a beautiful day for Jim's service.

The weather cooperated for us to send Jim off to that big soccer game in the sky. Jerrie's daughter and son had created lovely photo posters of Jim in his travels, including places I'd never even heard of. There was his and Jerrie's wedding picture, pictures of his children and grandchildren, and photos of him with several FT'ers who were present for the wake. We brought greetings form those FT'ers who couldn't make it, including Dhammer53, who was attending his mother's 90th Birthday. I know Jerrie and the family so appreciated everyone's support.

There were friends from all his big walks of life - fellow travelers, soccer friends, extended family, and neighborhood buddies. His daughter- in-law (who recounted the story of how he showed up on her doorstep unannounced to see his 3-week-old grandchild) read a lovely note from his niece who could not be there. As a teenager, she had an amazing trip to Europe with Jim carrying only one suitcase that had to fit in the cabin and that she had to carry herself.

Jim's son (Diego?) spoke very movingly of Jim's early challenges with his sons and how Diego now hoped he would be as good a man as Jim was.

JDiver, SanDiego1K and myself all spoke briefly, remembering a gentle, opinionated, life-living, smart man who we all loved and will miss.

The ultimate FT tribute - which I found so much a part of who Jim was - the flowers that JDiver arranged to send were through AA's shopping portal and earned a few miles.

I for one hope to be a better person for knowing Jim.

tcook052 Feb 26, 2012 10:18 am

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 18084694)
I for one hope to be a better person for knowing Jim.

Me too, a thought that crossed my mind a few times since I heard the news.

Many thanks squeakr & SanDiego1K for the update as it's appreciated.