FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   R.I.P Jim, magic111, my dear friend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1316850-r-i-p-jim-magic111-my-dear-friend.html)

uxb Feb 22, 2012 10:17 am

I wish to extend my condolences to Jim's family and friends. I did not know him for very long. As a longtime lurker and recent poster, our encounters have been few and brief. One of his final acts, as it relates to FT, was to allow for the creation of the current AA Promo Code thread. This may seem like a small and insignificant act; however, thousands of FT'ers have since benefited from its creation.

I know that Jim had made a lasting impact on an untold number of people on and off the interwebs. Among the last words he would impart on me: "It is not a good idea to confuse the referee. I am already confused enough." It is a phrase I have since adopted at work when mediating between parties.

I will miss his presence, spirit and wit in this forum.

RichMSN Feb 22, 2012 10:21 am

I do not know Jim or Jerrie and do not fly AA, so I haven't come across Jim in the AA forum. However, I am a sports official at the high school and college level, so I'm sad to have lost not only a FTer and someone who seems to be a great person, but one of my own as well.

RIP, Jim, and condolences to Jerrie, their family, and to everyone here who counted Jim as a friend.

Jaimito Cartero Feb 22, 2012 10:26 am

I met Jim at the Alaska Cabbage Do and enjoyed talking to him. RIP.

work2fly Feb 22, 2012 10:30 am

Heartfelt condolences to Jim's family. He will surely be missed.

oliver2002 Feb 22, 2012 10:32 am

RIP Jim, may you find a large soccer paradise up there to referee. It was always a pleasure to talk to you. Very sad to see you go. :(

dstan Feb 22, 2012 10:35 am

I received this terrible news this morning with the rest of the AA Mod team and am still very much in denial about it.

I met up with Jim several times over the years on his travels through NYC to visit his family, and always enjoyed his love for travel and his perspectives as a soccer referee. He was generous with his time and knowledge, and early in my days as a moderator, he graciously gifted me two systemwide upgrades for a transatlantic trip. His contributions to the AA Forum were major and massive, and we will sorely miss his decisive insights behind the scenes.

I last had the chance to spend time with Jim over coffee just two weeks ago, on his way back from London. As a true FlyerTalker, he'd taken a circuitous route, exploring along the way. He even decided to try my local RewardsNetwork favorite, although he later told me that it might have been a bit much for his jetlagged stomach.

Condolences to Jerrie and the rest of Jim's family. We'll miss you, bud. :(

SanDiego1K Feb 22, 2012 10:36 am

Jim and I met on more continents than perhaps any other person in my life other than my husband. He'd be sitting there with his FlyerTalk cap so that everyone could easily identify who he was. Just a few weeks back, he got in touch to get more FT tags to hand out on his travels. He had such zest and energy for travel and for life.

I've seen his wife on almost as many continents, and can't imagine the hole in her life. He loved his son and adored his grandchild. My heart goes out to each.

We were fortunate to have him as a mod on the AA forum the past few years. He loved working with the 4 Js. He brought his wisdom as a soccer referee to the forum and we were the better for it.

We will miss you, Jim.

wingless Feb 22, 2012 10:40 am

I am so sorry to hear this! Makes me very sad! RIP Jim!

mikew99 Feb 22, 2012 10:45 am

I just met Jim for the first time last month. He was seated next to me in F, saw my FT & MP tags, and stuck up a conversation with me. As a recent convert to AA, I learned quite a few things about AA travel during our flight together.

I wish I had been blessed to know him for longer. May he rest in peace.

Ocn Vw 1K Feb 22, 2012 10:45 am

Having shared some off-duty moments with Jim and Jerrie both, I'm shocked and deeply saddened by this news. May the family and his many, many friends find solace in the special memories of this extraordinarily wonderful man who loved his family, life, travel and helping others.

upup&away Feb 22, 2012 10:46 am

Very sad news indeed! What a great loss for the FT community. First met Jim
at the Puerto Rico Do in 2007, and at a number of subsequent event. Always
had a very positive attitude and great humor.

Condolences to Jerrie and family.

goalie Feb 22, 2012 10:46 am

Wow! I am in shock and totally heartbroken :(

My condolences to Jim's family and may this time of incredible sadness at least be filled with the knowledge that he was loved by so many

luxury Feb 22, 2012 10:49 am

Heartfelt and sincerest condolences to the family. Very shocked and saddened to read this.

obscure2k Feb 22, 2012 11:05 am

What a tragedy. Jim's passing is so shocking. I am sad beyond words. I was pleased to have spent time with him and he was always a pleasure to be with. My heart goes out to Jerrie.

ckpeter Feb 22, 2012 11:08 am

I posted over at the AA forum, but I thought this piece of memory was also fit for this thread in CommunityBuzz.

It brings me great sadness to hear this news.

I had the occasion to meet Jim a few years ago, as part of the Anchorage Cabbage DO. During the second part of the trip, he told me, "when you are old, never pass up a chance to piss," which was very much the advice to heed, consider that we were on a 6 hours road trip back from Denali National Park, with limited breaks.

Jim, I will also heed the first part of your advice about "when you are young, never pass up a chance ..."