The 2011 DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2011 DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Haven't seen this much discussion in a long, long time. Watching and waiting to see what comes up.

Greg -- if you are in Seoul still -- check out seouleats.com. http://www.seouleats.com/p/korean-ni...ning-tour.html
Daniel's food tour is amazing. He took me alone for a bit more than the price for one in a group because he was "training a new guide." About 4 hours of eating at restaurants that I probably wouldn't have gone to on my own.
tom
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:04 am

The implication that a venue without alcoholic beverages is not good enough and should be excluded from consideration was my intention. Bad choice of symbols.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Moby Dick has excellent Kabobs, but they're really more like a fast-food (or "quick food") style eatery. (No table service, non-wood furniture, close together tables, etc.) It's a great place for a lunch or quick dinner, but I don't think it's a good place for an FT dinner. The fact that they don't serve alcohol is the nail in the coffin.

I have not eaten at Mad Rose yet. There's a first time for everything, so I don't hesitate at all re: service issues.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by headinclouds
The implication that a venue without alcoholic beverages is not good enough and should be excluded from consideration was my intention. Bad choice of symbols.
Normally I wouldn't care, bit I am anticipating a stressful weekend, including many hours on Virginia highways and a non-profit board meeting at which I will inevitably wonder why I actually agreed to be on that board.

It would, of course, be cheaper to just use some of my supply of Jamaican rum, but you know what they say about drinking alone.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mhnadel
It would, of course, be cheaper to just use some of my supply of Jamaican rum, but you know what they say about drinking alone.

^
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Have we decided on a venue yet or will we all be in a random Clarendon parking garage taking shots or drinking from bags of wine?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Have we decided on a venue yet or will we all be in a random Clarendon parking garage taking shots or drinking from bags of wine?
A decision is pending and will be made -- and posted -- by the end of today.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Happy Hour/Dinner on Sunday, March 20, 2011 will be at Mad Rose Tavern, 3100 Clarendon Blvd., Ste PL 15, Arlington, VA 22201. The restaurant is easy walking distance from Metro's Orange line.

I note that this weekend, there will be no train service between West Falls Church and East Falls Church (though there will be a free shuttle bus), so if you're coming from points west and need a ride, please post to the thread and I'd bet one of our other attendees will be able to help you out.

We'll plan on gathering around 5:30 p.m. According to the reservation staff, early Sunday evening is fairly quiet, and accommodating a group of 12 "or so" shouldn't be a problem.

Hope to see you there!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:04 pm

I'll be there. Please note that the resturant's web site is 'under construction', so all info is on the facebook page.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Please note that the resturant's web site is 'under construction', so all info is on the facebook page.
Which is why I used the Facebook link.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
I'm in +0, Sarah needs to stay home & catsit. ^
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
I will be there.

My past experience, by the way, is that the metro shuttle bus system when they close part of the line works surprisingly well. (Some may say it is surprising when anything involving metro works.) If someone is thinking that parking at East Falls Church is an option, the lot filled up earlier than I would have expected last Saturday.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, A-Club Plat, CBP Global Entry
I'll be there, and coming from Reston if anyone needs a ride.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I will be attending from the east, so I will arrive by Metro. See you all Sunday.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
waterstrider and I are in for Sunday. See you all at 5:30.

Just went to Mad Rose tonight. The food was very good. Saint Patty's day was a bit crazy. The sever encouraged us to come back this weekend for a more relaxed experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.